IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus "Bulgaria" X "Nainital"

N8ALLRIGHT

Yep, another impulse purchase off eBay

Arrived yesterday and it's beeyuuutiful!

Modestly priced and well packaged. Advertised as a 1 gallon, looks more like a 3. Even shipped with soil:greenthumb: To be honest I don't really know what "Nainital" is supposed to look like other than a thicker trunk and robust growth. I have a Bulgaria,it is much more compact in growth as opposed to this cross. Leaves both have the rigid cardboard feel. Anyway I just wanted to share it. 

IMG_20210812_182042632.jpg

IMG_20210812_182058459.jpg

• Like 6

Looks like it was grown in some shade...I bet once

it gets going in the sun it will be much more compact and should

be a really stout looking palm...I saw some Nanus x Wagnerianus on

E-Bay too,it was tough to lay off!:D

• Like 1

Yes I wondered if it was shade grown or if petioles on Nainital were longer,so I messaged the seller and they confirmed shade grown.

I'd seen the nanus x waggies had to use some restraint

LOL.  I am feeling a slight pull to look at them again...better call my sponsor 

quick...his name is Carl Pool

PS

When that palm gets going post some pics,I bet it

will blossom into quite a nice looking palm...."not that theres anything wrong with it"

Ok. (my sponsor didn't answer) I couldn't resist and looked at the Nanus x Waggy luckily its growing in the ground and the picture

was fuzzy so I was able to resist...close one

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 3

I bought one of these as well, they look so nice. I was a little worried about planting it so late but I guess I’ll just have to protect it really well this winter.

E99B6D2C-D970-4825-9FF4-C52E6ACA47BC.jpeg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Is there a difference between Trachycarpus Wagnerianus X ‘Nainital’ and Trachycarpus Bulgaria X ‘Nainital’? Which one is hardier?

2 hours ago, Stevejr said:

Is there a difference between Trachycarpus Wagnerianus X ‘Nainital’ and Trachycarpus Bulgaria X ‘Nainital’? Which one is hardier?

I would think the Bulgaria x Nanital would be a little more cold hardy. The waggie x nanital should have shorter and stiffer fronds. Probably a little slower growing. 

Waggies are less hardy. Period. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I don't believe anyone has provided solid evidence that bulgaria's are more hardy than regular fortunei.  To my limited knowledge, the regular-ol' vanilla Trachycarpus fortunei is the hardiest trunking palm.  Unless you count old sabal minors or R hystrix that have developed trunks.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I don't believe anyone has provided solid evidence that bulgaria's are more hardy than regular fortunei.  To my limited knowledge, the regular-ol' vanilla Trachycarpus fortunei is the hardiest trunking palm.  Unless you count old sabal minors or R hystrix that have developed trunks.  

Don’t forget Sabal Birmingham, takes a long long time to trunk, but when it does it’s a contender for sure 

There are so many wonderful Sabals I know nothing about.  I feel like I never get a good understanding of a palm until I have one and get to know it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

There are so many wonderful Sabals I know nothing about.  I feel like I never get a good understanding of a palm until I have one and get to know it. 

Agree completely. I’m familiar with trachys, but not like you guys in the PNW, that’s your bread and butter up there. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, Jimhardy said:

I saw some Nanus x Wagnerianus on

Just got a Waggie x Nanus Monday from Dave Alverez. Nice little palms. they’re actually from Patrick too. 

25C8100D-54F2-45FA-8D0C-0BA9D58AF634.jpeg

D95E8ABE-172D-44B3-B603-9E7D37023EEB.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice palm .

I'm hoping my Princeps is a female because Big Daddy Nainital is right behind it . I'll have a Nainital and a Princeps hybrid hopefully .

I'll know whether it is a female in a couple years I think ?

Will

Below shows how close they are . Nainital behind the Princeps .

51986834526_9329e4237a_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Update on this little palm.

It took the place of a sloooowwww and underperforming takil. This is it's 1st season in the dirt and it's really taking off, lots of new fronds and has turned into a stout looking palm. It definitely likes the full sun and clay it's planted in. I know it won't like winter here much so it'll get protected Dec thru Feb 🤞 hopefully it will be a mild winter

IMG_20230708_121136128_HDR.jpg

Edited by N8ALLRIGHT
Added image
  • Like 4