Jump to content
ZPalms

Sabal Growth

Recommended Posts

PalmatierMeg

Your Sabals shouldn't require any protection while temps stay above 20F.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZPalms
10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Your Sabals shouldn't require any protection while temps stay above 20F.

Oh I didn't know, I'm so cautious and scared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZPalms

lol me deciding to giving my sabal overhead protection and some christmas lights because I lack trust in my sabal, I think after I know it's been in the ground for 1 year then I'll feel more comfortable but it's only been 7 months.

Also does anyone know if your suppose to cover the growing point with mulch or leave it clear of debris cause I covered the ground around the sabal but I never covered the direct middle of it??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

I'd avoid mulch in the crown for long periods just to prevent fungal disease. If you're worried (which, again, you shouldn't...), just get a some cheap frost cloth at the big box store and cover the palms before a hard freeze.
:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe NC
On 11/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, ZPalms said:

lol me deciding to giving my sabal overhead protection and some christmas lights because I lack trust in my sabal, I think after I know it's been in the ground for 1 year then I'll feel more comfortable but it's only been 7 months.

Also does anyone know if your suppose to cover the growing point with mulch or leave it clear of debris cause I covered the ground around the sabal but I never covered the direct middle of it??

Unless you use a thermo-cube or some sort of thermostat, don't add lights as a heat source if you are wrapping or covering the palm.  it will get cooked, and you will have loved your poor palm to death.  I have done this....

If you are really worried about the winter, and have to do something to protect it, get a cheap Styrofoam cooler (gas station style)  When you think they need protection, just pull back the mulch (so bare ground is exposed) and then cover the palm with the cooler.  Push the mulch back around the cooler to make a "seal" and put a brick on top.

This will keep the palm surprisingly warm overnight.  I know because I've put a temp sensor under the same set up.  If we get some crazy polar event, and the ground actually freezes, then I don't know how helpful this will be.  However,  it can keep the temp above freezing under cooler even with temps in the teens overnight just by trapping the heat from the ground.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZPalms
1 hour ago, Joe NC said:

Unless you use a thermo-cube or some sort of thermostat, don't add lights as a heat source if you are wrapping or covering the palm.  it will get cooked, and you will have loved your poor palm to death.  I have done this....

If you are really worried about the winter, and have to do something to protect it, get a cheap Styrofoam cooler (gas station style)  When you think they need protection, just pull back the mulch (so bare ground is exposed) and then cover the palm with the cooler.  Push the mulch back around the cooler to make a "seal" and put a brick on top.

This will keep the palm surprisingly warm overnight.  I know because I've put a temp sensor under the same set up.  If we get some crazy polar event, and the ground actually freezes, then I don't know how helpful this will be.  However,  it can keep the temp above freezing under cooler even with temps in the teens overnight just by trapping the heat from the ground.  

Oh I just put a towel over it the first night, Now I just put lights around it no cover to keep the area lit up and warmer so frost isn't horrible but one of the nights I put plastic over the cage fence so it gave it overhead protection and kept the frost off and turned the lights on and it stayed cool but warm on the inside and no frost. Ill definitely remember though about the cooler thing cause that sounds pretty quick and easy to get!!

Do you know if your suppose to cover the center growth with mulch or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keys6505
1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Do you know if your suppose to cover the center growth with mulch or not?

 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:55 PM, Swolte said:

I'd avoid mulch in the crown for long periods just to prevent fungal disease.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZPalms
2 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

 

 

Oh perfect thanks! I did it correctly then thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZPalms

My temporary nightly protection only when their frost, I take it off first thing once the morning sun touches it! photos look like I live in a void :floor2:

IMG-8970.jpg

IMG-8972.jpg

IMG-8969.jpg

IMG-8974.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...