IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Growth

ZPalms

Your Sabals shouldn't require any protection while temps stay above 20F.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Your Sabals shouldn't require any protection while temps stay above 20F.

Oh I didn't know, I'm so cautious and scared

• 3 weeks later...

lol me deciding to giving my sabal overhead protection and some christmas lights because I lack trust in my sabal, I think after I know it's been in the ground for 1 year then I'll feel more comfortable but it's only been 7 months.

Also does anyone know if your suppose to cover the growing point with mulch or leave it clear of debris cause I covered the ground around the sabal but I never covered the direct middle of it??

I'd avoid mulch in the crown for long periods just to prevent fungal disease. If you're worried (which, again, you shouldn't...), just get a some cheap frost cloth at the big box store and cover the palms before a hard freeze.
:)

On 11/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, ZPalms said:

lol me deciding to giving my sabal overhead protection and some christmas lights because I lack trust in my sabal, I think after I know it's been in the ground for 1 year then I'll feel more comfortable but it's only been 7 months.

Also does anyone know if your suppose to cover the growing point with mulch or leave it clear of debris cause I covered the ground around the sabal but I never covered the direct middle of it??

Unless you use a thermo-cube or some sort of thermostat, don't add lights as a heat source if you are wrapping or covering the palm.  it will get cooked, and you will have loved your poor palm to death.  I have done this....

If you are really worried about the winter, and have to do something to protect it, get a cheap Styrofoam cooler (gas station style)  When you think they need protection, just pull back the mulch (so bare ground is exposed) and then cover the palm with the cooler.  Push the mulch back around the cooler to make a "seal" and put a brick on top.

This will keep the palm surprisingly warm overnight.  I know because I've put a temp sensor under the same set up.  If we get some crazy polar event, and the ground actually freezes, then I don't know how helpful this will be.  However,  it can keep the temp above freezing under cooler even with temps in the teens overnight just by trapping the heat from the ground.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe NC said:

Unless you use a thermo-cube or some sort of thermostat, don't add lights as a heat source if you are wrapping or covering the palm.  it will get cooked, and you will have loved your poor palm to death.  I have done this....

If you are really worried about the winter, and have to do something to protect it, get a cheap Styrofoam cooler (gas station style)  When you think they need protection, just pull back the mulch (so bare ground is exposed) and then cover the palm with the cooler.  Push the mulch back around the cooler to make a "seal" and put a brick on top.

This will keep the palm surprisingly warm overnight.  I know because I've put a temp sensor under the same set up.  If we get some crazy polar event, and the ground actually freezes, then I don't know how helpful this will be.  However,  it can keep the temp above freezing under cooler even with temps in the teens overnight just by trapping the heat from the ground.  

Oh I just put a towel over it the first night, Now I just put lights around it no cover to keep the area lit up and warmer so frost isn't horrible but one of the nights I put plastic over the cage fence so it gave it overhead protection and kept the frost off and turned the lights on and it stayed cool but warm on the inside and no frost. Ill definitely remember though about the cooler thing cause that sounds pretty quick and easy to get!!

Do you know if your suppose to cover the center growth with mulch or not?

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Do you know if your suppose to cover the center growth with mulch or not?

On 11/24/2021 at 9:55 PM, Swolte said:

I'd avoid mulch in the crown for long periods just to prevent fungal disease.

My temporary nightly protection only when their frost, I take it off first thing once the morning sun touches it! photos look like I live in a void :floor2:

IMG-8970.jpg

IMG-8972.jpg

IMG-8969.jpg

IMG-8974.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two of the Sabal Causiarums I have are actually pushing new growth finally after the long transplant shock and I'm so happy for them!! I was starting to worry cause they had no activity of growth at all but it's good to see the new leaves and the roots have settled all the way through and are growing out the bottom and I can't wait to get them in the ground this spring! :wub:

Edited by ZPalms

I took a very similar approach to you, ZPalms, in using a wrapped tomato cage and Christmas lights, only mine for a pachypodium lamerei. Hoping I never have to do the same for my sabal palmetto, but I'm 8A just like you.   

600C4B38-84F3-4631-A1A8-8C58D262ABF8.jpeg

ADB43C3E-08D4-44AB-AB47-1D8D3949649D.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 12/17/2021 at 7:11 PM, BobStrauss said:

I took a very similar approach to you, ZPalms, in using a wrapped tomato cage and Christmas lights, only mine for a pachypodium lamerei. Hoping I never have to do the same for my sabal palmetto, but I'm 8A just like you.   

600C4B38-84F3-4631-A1A8-8C58D262ABF8.jpeg

ADB43C3E-08D4-44AB-AB47-1D8D3949649D.jpeg

Oh wow I missed this, I used the cage and plastic only for this year to let my sabal keep developing without winter weather stress but at the end of winter I let it stay uncovered to take those last weeks of frost, so this year I'll definitely be leaving it uncovered unless we get freezing rain or something wild!

Your backyard looks very nice B):greenthumb:

Does anyone know how much palmgain i'm suppose to feed my sabal? The directions on the back are kind of confusing when it says 2-3 inches does that mean in trunk or leaf span?

10 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Anyone know how much palmgain to give to sabal at this size?

350C331D-CD2E-4B3E-900D-DF54AAD4BD69.jpeg

Probably be safe and put about 2 tablespoons 1" or more from plant in a circle to about 6" out.  Hand agitate into soil and water.  Make sure no tip burn happens over next few weeks and you might can up it in 6 weeks to 3-4. 

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

Probably be safe and put about 2 tablespoons 1" or more from plant in a circle to about 6" out.  Hand agitate into soil and water.  Make sure no tip burn happens over next few weeks and you might can up it in 6 weeks to 3-4. 

Thanks! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to improve drainage in existing beds? When I planted my sabal I didn't really have any idea about drainage and I put it in poor soil with bad drainage, I’m not bothered that it drains slowly since I know the palmetto doesn’t care to sit in water for a couple minutes, but the water isn’t quick enough for me to water it deeply, so I have to do it intermittently and I'm not entirely sure how much of this water is actually getting down to where it needs to be, but every time I water it the water pools on top and wants to run away if I didn’t have the stones there.

I have no idea how to use soaker hoses but since the water pools so quickly, it doesn’t really do me any justice since there's too much hose and I didn’t see any better options at Lowe’s. I’m sure if the drip hose or soaker hose was shorter, then it wouldn’t fill up as fast.

It’s also forming its first 3 finger palmate leaf in the middle :D

3D2CEF0B-02A6-42B6-8127-07401191DC5A.jpeg

C4668B7E-EEA0-4F2F-BE70-9E05DB116194.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Is there any way to improve drainage in existing beds? When I planted my sabal I didn't really have any idea about drainage and I put it in poor soil with bad drainage, I’m not bothered that it drains slowly since I know the palmetto doesn’t care to sit in water for a couple minutes, but the water isn’t quick enough for me to water it deeply, so I have to do it intermittently and I'm not entirely sure how much of this water is actually getting down to where it needs to be, but every time I water it the water pools on top and wants to run away if I didn’t have the stones there.

I have no idea how to use soaker hoses but since the water pools so quickly, it doesn’t really do me any justice since there's too much hose and I didn’t see any better options at Lowe’s. I’m sure if the drip hose or soaker hose was shorter, then it wouldn’t fill up as fast.

Whoa there!  You have too much soaker hose in there and it's really living up to it's name.  Try something simple like just running the regular hose at a very slow run for 10-15 minutes or put in a drip system.  That soaker hose will water something over it's entire length. 

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 hours ago, Allen said:

Whoa there!  You have too much soaker hose in there and it's really living up to it's name.  Try something simple like just running the regular hose at a very slow run for 10-15 minutes or put in a drip system.  That soaker hose will water something over it's entire length. 

Ive been wanting to figure out a permemnant watering system for my sabal but I just don't know how to set up drip lines and stuff, I'll try to run a hose slower to it. Thanks :greenthumb:

I was in Chapel Hill, NC and was lucky enough to find sabal minor with seeds on it. So I took a couple and there are still tons on the stalk that are freshly ripe if anyone is out in that area and wants some, assuming the grounds keepers haven't snipped them. They are at 5310 McFarland Dr, Durham, NC 27707. You can go on Google Maps to see the location. They are right in front of that hotel. I sadly didn't get any pictures.

I'm pretty excited to sprout Sabal minor as it was underrated to me since I usually gravitate towards trunking palms until I saw what they could look like if used in a flowerbeds, so I'm excited to give them a try. :wub:

Edited by ZPalms

• 1 month later...

I finally put fertilizer in but I worry the ground doesn't drain good enough for it, I can see that when I dig a little and I did end up disturbing some small roots near the surface that it's getting wet below but it drains so slow I worry that the fertilizer will burn the palm in general because it's sitting in that water

9 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I finally put fertilizer in but I worry the ground doesn't drain good enough for it, I can see that when I dig a little and I did end up disturbing some small roots near the surface that it's getting wet below but it drains so slow I worry that the fertilizer will burn the palm in general because it's sitting in that water

I don’t think it’s possible to overwater a Sabal…yours has been in the ground for a year now right? Should love the fertilizer too, sabals are tough, hard to hurt them lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teddytn said:

I don’t think it’s possible to overwater a Sabal…yours has been in the ground for a year now right? Should love the fertilizer too, sabals are tough, hard to hurt them lol

I'm just afraid of fertilizer burn from the water submerging it, It has been in the ground for a year now but I usally always drown it in water when I water it because it drains terribly but the fertilizer is my concern for burn

Edited by ZPalms

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I'm just afraid of fertilizer burn from the water submerging it, It has been in the ground for a year now but I usally always drown it in water when I water it because it drains terribly but the fertilizer is my concern for burn

I hear ya, we all baby and worry about our palms lol. You put like a normal amount of fertilizer though yeah?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teddytn said:

I hear ya, we all baby and worry about our palms lol. You put like a normal amount of fertilizer though yeah?

I put 2 tablespoons and rubbed it into the ground the best I could 6inches away give or take whatever may have spread closer but I'm sure that wouldn't matter

Edited by ZPalms

10 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I put 2 tablespoons and rubbed it into the ground the best I could 6inches away give or take whatever may have spread closer but I'm sure that wouldn't matter

Seems like you did perfect :greenthumb:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Seems like you did perfect :greenthumb:

I hope so, I'm sure the drainage will improve over time when the roots really get vigrous and I keep adding stuff in it, just hoping no burning :greenthumb:

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 6:00 PM, ZPalms said:

Just some new photos

IMG-4111.jpg

IMG-4110.jpg

Update please!

• Like 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 5/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, JLM said:

Update please!

Just took these today! It's been growing steady and should speed up once the summer heat hits 😍

IMG-0181.jpg

IMG-0180.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, ZPalms said:

3D2CEF0B-02A6-42B6-8127-07401191DC5A.jpeg

I had a problem with drainage until I broke through a layer of clay . After I broke through it drained beautifully . I planted a Sabal palmetto here .

Maybe you can break through that bad clay ? 

Before :

52894748893_0f1479293a_b.jpg

After digging deeper ( and that water stayed without draining for days  before I dug deeper ) . I planted a Sabal palmetto in the hole .

52894329286_62c64533ce_b.jpg

:

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 11

Just now, Will Simpson said:

I had a problem with drainage until I broke through a layer of clay . After I broke through it drained beautifully . I planted a Sabal palmetto here .

Before :

After digging deeper ( and that water stayed without draining for days  before I dug deeper ) . I planted a Sabal palmetto in the hole .

:

I'll give this a try when I plant my sabal causiarum because I think my palmetto has grown so much underground that it has improved the surrounding area itself than when I first planted it so this will be a good tip when I go and plant the others thanks!

On 5/13/2023 at 7:57 AM, Will Simpson said:

Before :

:

Dang, how big was the layer you dug through!? What tools did you use? I had a 72 inch steep digging bar and that stuff was so hard here, it took me hours to just get a square foot of that stuff!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Swolte said:

Dang, how big was the layer you dug through!? What tools did you use? I had a 72 inch steep digging bar and that stuff was so hard here, it took me hours to just get a square foot of that stuff!

Absolutely flood it before trying to dig. Make it muddy. It might be a little more messy, but even for clay it should be easier to dig through. If it was already wet, yikes.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

How things have changed from when I planted it to now—it's moving along so quickly! 🤠

IMG-5667.thumb.jpg.dd9a8ed8abb768d6a1aebcfd1fbd6cc0.jpg

IMG-5666.thumb.jpg.56944c02a5a4ad81555b42702e34408a.jpg

IMG-5668.thumb.jpg.d7587d9f8956b92e102c0b60f626da91.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Looks great! Good work. Keep updates coming over time.

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

How things have changed from when I planted it to now—it's moving along so quickly! 🤠

IMG-5667.thumb.jpg.dd9a8ed8abb768d6a1aebcfd1fbd6cc0.jpg

IMG-5666.thumb.jpg.56944c02a5a4ad81555b42702e34408a.jpg

IMG-5668.thumb.jpg.d7587d9f8956b92e102c0b60f626da91.jpg

It will have a big growth spurt this coming season for sure. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, teddytn said:

It will have a big growth spurt this coming season for sure. 

I can feel it too, It finally made it to the leap part in sleeps, creeps and leaps 😍

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

Sorry if this was already mentioned. What type of Sabal is this?

Zone 6b maritime climate