IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Growth

ZPalms

I'm going to just start posting my sabals growth here cause I wanna keep all my growth of my palms separate :blush:

Sabal Palmetto is still in recovery after transplant but it's really pushing out new growth and it's only been in the ground for 4 months. and since it finally pushed up these two leaves I can tell they are just strap leaves I think, but this makes it the 2nd push of growth since I've had it, and the leaf behind the new growth was the first leaf to fully push out being in the ground! :P

IMG_6979.jpeg

IMG_6978.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 10

Should do great for you there in 8A.  I'm pushing one in 7A and it has done very well.

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I have several small sabals planted, I have a bare root Sabal that I got on eBay,  it’s small than yours, it didn’t grow and the spear pulled, I ran over it with the lawn mower and relocated it and now it’s growing faster than some of my healthy palms 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, teddytn said:

@ZPalms got a split leaf coming out! :greenthumb:

Oh a split leaf? are they connected to each other so it's on it's way to palmate? :w00t:

19 hours ago, Jtee said:

I have several small sabals planted, I have a bare root Sabal that I got on eBay,  it’s small than yours, it didn’t grow and the spear pulled, I ran over it with the lawn mower and relocated it and now it’s growing faster than some of my healthy palms 

Woah that's nuts! I always see people saying sabals are tough and your sabal went through it all and now it's thriving which is awesome! I got mine from etsy bare rooted for 14$ and it's 3 years old which was a deal and it's awesome to finally see growth speeding up!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Oh a split leaf? are they connected to each other so it's on it's way to palmate? :w00t:

Woah that's nuts! I always see people saying sabals are tough and your sabal went through it all and now it's thriving which is awesome! I got mine from etsy bare rooted for 14$ and it's 3 years old which was a deal and it's awesome to finally see growth speeding up!

Oh yeah, it’s moving on up! :shaka-2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Yep, you'll see much faster growth now that it's in the ground.  Here is my fully palmate Sabal riverside - collected seed in January 2019 so just 2 1/2 years old.  But it's been in the ground for a year and a half.  Another seedling from the same seed batch and still in a container looks more like yours - not yet palmate.

IMG_20210813_180659.jpg

• Like 6

Jon Sunder

50 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Yep, you'll see much faster growth now that it's in the ground.  Here is my fully palmate Sabal riverside - collected seed in January 2019 so just 2 1/2 years old.  But it's been in the ground for a year and a half.  Another seedling from the same seed batch and still in a container looks more like yours - not yet palmate.

IMG_20210813_180659.jpg

Oh wow yours is younger than mine but a lot more growth but mine was also grown in a nursery container inside a green house so it makes sense but now that it's in the ground it's so nice to finally see some growth on it and hopefully mine will look like yours next summer :P I'm so excited but scared for the winter because this is my first year with palms and I don't know what to do to protect my sabal. Do you think a cover and some incandescent Christmas lights would be good?

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Oh wow yours is younger than mine but a lot more growth but mine was also grown in a nursery container inside a green house so it makes sense but now that it's in the ground it's so nice to finally see some growth on it and hopefully mine will look like yours next summer :P I'm so excited but scared for the winter because this is my first year with palms and I don't know what to do to protect my sabal. Do you think a cover and some incandescent Christmas lights would be good?

You shouldn't worry about covering in 8A unless a rare event and temps go under 10F.  I let mine go to 5F.  Then I'd just mulch with leaves or wrap it and put a 5 gallon bucket over for the night.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

See ya' in 50 years! :interesting:

I jest.... or not. 

I agree with @Allen Palmettos are hardy in 8a. No need for concern. The ones here and up in the southern limit of 7b have withstood 4/5F and returned. 

(HWY280 Inverness, Hoover, Moutainbrook, even Oxford/Anniston near the interstate exit I believe has multiple palmettos) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

I agree with @Allen - Sabal palmetto is more cold hardy than my riverside so it won't need too much winter protection but at that size protection should be easy.  Sabal riverside grows much faster than palmetto also from what I have read.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Allen said:

You shouldn't worry about covering in 8A unless a rare event and temps go under 10F.  I let mine go to 5F.  Then I'd just mulch with leaves or wrap it and put a 5 gallon bucket over for the night.  

2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

See ya' in 50 years! :interesting:

I jest.... or not. 

I agree with @Allen Palmettos are hardy in 8a. No need for concern. The ones here and up in the southern limit of 7b have withstood 4/5F and returned. 

(HWY280 Inverness, Hoover, Moutainbrook, even Oxford/Anniston near the interstate exit I believe has multiple palmettos) 

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

I agree with @Allen - Sabal palmetto is more cold hardy than my riverside so it won't need too much winter protection but at that size protection should be easy.  Sabal riverside grows much faster than palmetto also from what I have read.

I thought I could give it some protection this year while it recovers but if its ok to leave it out then ill just cover on freezing nights, what about watering in the winter?

Edited by ZPalms

I wouldn't worry about watering in winter. NC gets plenty of winter moisture and the palms will be growing very slowly. I wouldn't cover it unless temps fall below 15F.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I wouldn't worry about watering in winter. NC gets plenty of winter moisture and the palms will be growing very slowly. I wouldn't cover it unless temps fall below 15F.

Do I cover if theirs freezing rain or snow?

Shouldn't be necessary but if you'd feel better doing so. Snow is a natural insulator and Sabals in the southeast US have adapted to winter. The ground in NC likely doesn't freeze solid. See link to a Sabal in snow.

https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/plants-that-start-with-s/products/sabal-minor-mccurtain

BTW, I believe that link contains an error. It should have said Sabal McCurtain takes down to -24C (not F). Many people confuse C with F. I don't believe any palm can survive -24F for any length of time

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

20 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Shouldn't be necessary but if you'd feel better doing so. Snow is a natural insulator and Sabals in the southeast US have adapted to winter. The ground in NC likely doesn't freeze solid. See link to a Sabal in snow.

https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/plants-that-start-with-s/products/sabal-minor-mccurtain

BTW, I believe that link contains an error. It should have said Sabal McCurtain takes down to -24C (not F). Many people confuse C with F. I don't believe any palm can survive -24F for any length of time

Oh cool thanks! feel more confident about the winter now! 

I wish palms could survive down to -24F :floor:

• 3 weeks later...

Making lots of progress on these leaves! :wub:

August, 30th, 6:11pm, 2021!

IMG-7152.jpg

IMG-7153.jpg

IMG-7156.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 6

Wow it made a lot of progress since last Wednesday! The new leaves have a cool blue tint to them and it's already pushing another set of leaves!

September, 6th, 11:11am, 2021! :wub:

IMG-7246.jpg

IMG-7250.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Wow it made a lot of progress since last Wednesday! The new leaves have a cool blue tint to them and it's already pushing another set of leaves!

September, 6th, 11:11am, 2021! :wub:

IMG-7246.jpg

IMG-7250.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

That is AWESOME! Finally going palmate! Some of the leaves on one of my seedlings has a small split at the top but it doesnt look like its supposed to be split. Im watching for the first split leaf to come up, i just planted my biggest in the backyard a few weeks ago and is now putting out some thicker straps. My seedlings also have the blue tint on the new leaves, but it seems to fade as the leaves get older.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

6 hours ago, JLM said:

That is AWESOME! Finally going palmate! Some of the leaves on one of my seedlings has a small split at the top but it doesnt look like its supposed to be split. Im watching for the first split leaf to come up, i just planted my biggest in the backyard a few weeks ago and is now putting out some thicker straps. My seedlings also have the blue tint on the new leaves, but it seems to fade as the leaves get older.

That's awesome!! The strap leaf stage of palms is cute but the real action starts when they finally start putting out more interesting leaves! I need to get some sabal palmetto seeds so I can have more than 1 but I do have 2 sabal causiarums that @Jubaea_James760 sent me that will go in the ground next spring :D but I've been so excited for this moment for it to finally start getting some interesting leaves!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 7:44 AM, ZPalms said:

That's awesome!! The strap leaf stage of palms is cute but the real action starts when they finally start putting out more interesting leaves! I need to get some sabal palmetto seeds so I can have more than 1 but I do have 2 sabal causiarums that @Jubaea_James760 sent me that will go in the ground next spring :D but I've been so excited for this moment for it to finally start getting some interesting leaves!

I planted a Saba causiarum at my folks this past spring. Right on the corner of their lot. It’s about the size of your palm above. Can’t wait till it starts to put some growth on. I’ve got another dozen or so for my house next spring 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RJ said:

I planted a Saba causiarum at my folks this past spring. Right on the corner of their lot. It’s about the size of your palm above. Can’t wait till it starts to put some growth on. I’ve got another dozen or so for my house next spring 

That's awesome! did you grow them all from seed?

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

That's awesome! did you grow them all from seed?

No I purchased 12 liners from josh on palmtalk, plus I have 3 others from eBay and two in 25g pots I purchased from a nursery in FL. Needless to say I’m a big fan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Needless to say I’m a big fan

of fan palms right!!! Fav sabal hands down Causiarum 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

3 hours ago, RJ said:

No I purchased 12 liners from josh on palmtalk, plus I have 3 others from eBay and two in 25g pots I purchased from a nursery in FL. Needless to say I’m a big fan. 

17 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

of fan palms right!!! Fav sabal hands down Causiarum 

T J 

Sabal Palmetto are my first favorites because I'm more familiar and seen those in person all my life going to the beach and 2nd is Causiarums because of speed because that's the general consensus here on the forms they are the fastest of the sabals :D

Edited by ZPalms

15 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Causiarums because of speed because that's the general consensus here on the forms they are the fastest of the sabals :D

Definitely the fastest to monster palm status haha My S.Riverisde was pretty damn fast for a sabal at my last casa. I need to get another for my forever home =) 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

3 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Definitely the fastest to monster palm status haha My S.Riverisde was pretty damn fast for a sabal at my last casa. I need to get another for my forever home =) 

T J 

I think I'll be looking for riverside once I get all these stuck in the ground and fully recovered! :D

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

T J 

Have you already moved? My house should be done in May , then all these potted palms are going in the ground .I’ve got a riverside ready too B)

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RJ said:

Have you already moved? My house should be done in May , then all these potted palms are going in the ground .I’ve got a riverside ready too B)

Yes sir , I got myself 1.3acres out in the country kinda haha I'm gonna hold off on planting palms this season looking to cut back some brush to gain some of my land back. I can't wait to see your spread , especially when all them potted palms start going in the ground!!! 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

16 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yes sir , I got myself 1.3acres out in the country kinda haha I'm gonna hold off on planting palms this season looking to cut back some brush to gain some of my land back. I can't wait to see your spread , especially when all them potted palms start going in the ground!!! 

T J 

Awesome! You better start a thread with your new pad. I’ll certainly do one on mine once I start planting/looking for input. Do you have a pool at your new place?

RJ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Awesome! You better start a thread with your new pad. I’ll certainly do one on mine once I start planting/looking for input. Do you have a pool at your new place?

RJ 

Definitely plan on making a thread, once 1 palm gets in the ground. Property is equal parts front yard to back yard. This property is full of 30y/o oak trees so I actually have my shaded spots then sun spots. No pool at this house but I'm already getting quotes to have one built =) My plan is to mimic @PalmatierMeg sabal row with my own cold hardy row !!! 

T J 

20210910_192820.jpg

• Like 3

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll grab a photo of the s. causarium I planted at my folks house this coming weekend. It’s growing pretty nicely. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love sabals palmettos!!! I'm actually surprised by the speed I've been having so it's been a blast to watch especially after some good rain and heat! got another set of leaves coming up! :wub:

If I can remember correctly the only thing I need to do for winter is just mulch it right? Can anyone give me tips on what to do to overwinter sabals if it gets too frosty outside?

I also left a little friend plant on the side cause I thought it looked cute there, other weeds that decide to find their way in get pulled! :blush2:

Monday, October, 11th, 1:25PM, 2021! B)

IMG-8142.thumb.jpg.63892e06c0b922f43494f02b19ed97a1.jpg

IMG-8149.thumb.jpg.2114b477fe226c2c73dfd59384df01cd.jpg

IMG-8148.thumb.jpg.15c9791596a26217f39d8f3b668c25a7.jpg

IMG-8150.thumb.jpg.d5d2bc0f3a0d2ce97b9cefdfd2c5e428.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2

@ZPalms I wouldn't worry about weather unless it gets below 20° for most sabals. Simple thing for that size is just mulch. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

In the ground in NC it should be nearly bullet proof while the growing point stays underground, which it should until the palm trunks. I wouldn't bother to protect it unless temps fall into the mid-teens or lower. Then you could cover it with mulch or, my favorite, with a thick cotton towel. I've also covered palm seedlings with a towel, then inverted a 5g bucket over that during extra cold spells. Remove cover when sun comes up. 

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

In the ground in NC it should be nearly bullet proof while the growing point stays underground, which it should until the palm trunks. I wouldn't bother to protect it unless temps fall into the mid-teens or lower. Then you could cover it with mulch or, my favorite, with a thick cotton towel. I've also covered palm seedlings with a towel, then inverted a 5g bucket over that during extra cold spells. Remove cover when sun comes up. 

This doesn't squish the palm under a heavy towel? I'll give that a try cause last winter it got down to 15F which I'm sure that will happen again this year. Thanks!

Edited by ZPalms

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got some mulch yesterday since we were getting patchy frost coming through in the morning but I'm unsure if I did it right, I made sure to cover the ground around it but keep the growing point clear but keep the mulch close and I'm gonna throw a towel over it in a little while to make sure the it's protected good enough for the short period of the chance of frost.

I did notice the heel and old dead leaf bits turned white but I think it's normal since the sabal is still growing fine and still pushing leaves. :wub:

IMG-8487.thumb.jpg.0e4dfe532d4989adda055e09cf867623.jpg

IMG-8488.thumb.jpg.e9a1727b9cd4be57678eaec63ef31b1b.jpg

IMG-8491.thumb.jpg.404879a54ff9394a43345b6f03ad8636.jpg

IMG-8486.thumb.jpg.4c9a6dd4490d7adb7e2ee1bf8aac998d.jpg

IMG-8495.thumb.jpg.4f8b01af584d57f0abad3548d6eb5c1c.jpg

IMG-8498.thumb.jpg.8a0af2075862ffd2bcf2d9a8c087f81c.jpg

IMG-8497.thumb.jpg.68830b474bce959c0102e4d856d56289.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1