IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palm seeds question

Jtee

I picked these today, if I were to throw them on the ground would they eventually sprout? Do I have to let them ripe then throw them around? 

image.jpg

They are not ripe, and probably would not sprout.

When ripe the fruit is thin and black, and can be easily removed to reveal a dark brown seed. 

Wait until the fruit turns black. Here in SWFL that would be late Oct. into Nov.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

39 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Wait until the fruit turns black. Here in SWFL that would be late Oct. into Nov.

What part of florida? 

Cape Coral

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Cape Coral

I’ll wait til then I guess. I was in New Orleans last week and tried to pick some but the flower stock was empty, nothing but a few hollow black seeds on the ground. I tried getting some pindo seeds in New Mexico and they weren’t ripe yet either. I have some bad timing apparently. 

I did manage to get some Sylvester palm seeds in Panama City a couple months ago but forgot about them and they went moldy. 

I don’t have a problem sowing the seeds, I just have a problem finding them when they are ripe, either I’m too late or too early. Oh and the other thing is when I do find a palm within reach there is no seeds and the tall sabals with seeds I can’t reach. Until today I found a Sabal at a hotel parking lot that I can easily pick seeds from so I’ll go back and check on it in a couple months. 

17 hours ago, Jtee said:

I did manage to get some Sylvester palm seeds in Panama City a couple months ago but forgot about them and they went moldy. 

Shouldn't be a problem - clean the fruit off the seed and treat with fungicide if you have some.  Phoenix seeds have a long shelf life compared to tropical palms and can still germinate.   Even if you don't have a fungicide some mold shouldn't hamper germination. 

Jon Sunder

12 hours ago, Jtee said:

I don’t have a problem sowing the seeds, I just have a problem finding them when they are ripe, either I’m too late or too early. Oh and the other thing is when I do find a palm within reach there is no seeds and the tall sabals with seeds I can’t reach. Until today I found a Sabal at a hotel parking lot that I can easily pick seeds from so I’ll go back and check on it in a couple months. 

Palm tree cheat code:

Yank the seedlings out of the ground around the tree instead of messing around with seeds (when available).  Might save you a year too!

10 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Palm tree cheat code:

Yank the seedlings out of the ground around the tree instead of messing around with seeds (when available).  Might save you a year too!

Those seedlings are so hard to yank up, I always wish I had me a small shovel. I did manage to easily pull some up in Pensacola earlier this year. Ground was sandy and they just pulled right out. A few died and 3 are doing good in my back yard. 

There are tons of etsy accounts where you can buy really young sabals.  A year or two old. They're small enough to ship and you don't have to go through the trouble of trying to get a seed to sprout. They're also pretty cheap because of the size. I recommend looking at those.