IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It is clearance time again at the big box stores

Joe NC

On my never ending quest to find plants, I came across some big med fan palms for 20 bucks!

I have 0 need for this plant, but I'm sure I will cram it in somewhere.  They had several others that were more clumpy, and a few that were very sad.

Also had 3 gal size for 6 bucks, but they were a little scrawny.  And 5 gallon windmills that were nice for 20$.

They were all tagged as "fan palms".  Livistona species....

HD on Racine in Wilmington NC, if anyone in the area is trying to scavenge.20210810_133619.thumb.jpg.b268e63f0f542b668adf18e5a5459ea0.jpg

• Like 10

$150 to $20?  That's nuts, they never do deals like that here.

HD never marks down plants here anymore - only Lowe's and they just recently changed their markdown policy.  I guess it has to do with agreements made with the local growers.  Great deal on that Chamaerops!

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

I'm going to Wrightsville on Saturday. I hope they still have some in stock by then. I'll stop by and load up. 

I guess it depends on the area. Home Depot’s in Texas don’t own the plants they sell. It’s done through a contracted supplier, basically a consignment. They get a percentage if it sells. At the end of the season the supplier takes the unsold plants back to their greenhouses. Very rarely do you see anything discounted. Lowe’s on the other hand will mark plants 50-80% off to clear them out.

9 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

I guess it depends on the area. Home Depot’s in Texas don’t own the plants they sell. It’s done through a contracted supplier, basically a consignment. They get a percentage if it sells. At the end of the season the supplier takes the unsold plants back to their greenhouses. Very rarely do you see anything discounted. Lowe’s on the other hand will mark plants 50-80% off to clear them out.

The Home Depots out here do discount plants when a new shipment comes in, but the most you'll ever see is 50%.

The Lowe's around here do 50% off on "old stock" every once in a while, but it's usually on smaller plants that are bedraggled.  I did find Zamia Furfuracea (Cardboard) big clumps for $10 once, and a clearance on Bottle/Spindles for $5ea.  The biggest scores I've had were at HD, though.  One time I went by and they had Euro fans for $75 with 2-4' of clear trunk.  And another time they had "special buy" Butia with 10" bases and 7' fronds for $25ea.  And a different store had L. Chinensis with 2-3' of clear trunk for $100.  Most of the time there isn't anything interesting...

In Austin, Home Depot has some pure robustas for $20 that are 6 feet tall, pencil thin trunks too. They are going fast 

21 hours ago, knikfar said:

I'm going to Wrightsville on Saturday. I hope they still have some in stock by then. I'll stop by and load up. 

Might still have some?  The 5 gal windmills for 20 were the nicest palms they had, I just really didn't need another trachy.... 

If you are feeling crazy, the Lowes in Porters neck has two mules.  Not clearance yet,  but I am keeping an eye on them. Haha

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Might still have some?  The 5 gal windmills for 20 were the nicest palms they had, I just really didn't need another trachy.... 

If you are feeling crazy, the Lowes in Porters neck has two mules.  Not clearance yet,  but I am keeping an eye on them. Haha

I live in Raleigh and the mules definitely won't survive here. But I can always use a few more trachys and med fan palms if they have any. 

Metro Atlanta stopped selling cold-hardy palms back in 2014. I don't see them anywhere. Plants are either z3 yews, Alberta Spruce, or completely tropical, destined to die at temps below 40º

On 8/11/2021 at 11:59 AM, knikfar said:

I went there today and not a trace of a palm left.  Hopefully you got one before they were cleaned out.

• Like 1

Home Depot here has no palms, they probably sold out within a week or two of them arriving back in June. They never last. 

Lowe’s does have Trachycarpus, Washingtonia robusta and some nice Chamaerops but no price reductions yet. I was there earlier today. 

In the late 90s, a Fred Meyer store in Portland, where I lived at the time, had Trachycarpus at the end of the season for almost nothing.  I planted one at the church where I was helping with the grounds.  It's thriving.  Not very tall yet.  I haven't heard much about how Portland's garden plants fared in the great heat wave.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

10 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

In the late 90s, a Fred Meyer store in Portland, where I lived at the time, had Trachycarpus at the end of the season for almost nothing.  I planted one at the church where I was helping with the grounds.  It's thriving.  Not very tall yet.  I haven't heard much about how Portland's garden plants fared in the great heat wave.

Most plants did pretty well. Damage primarily shows on the west side of the plants. The most damage seems to have occurred to Rhodos and conifers, but I am seeing a lot of dead big leaf maples around as well. 

We are currently in our fourth heatwave this year. I think we’re on day 6. Lots of my subtropicals are loving the heat and especially the very warm nights. 

On 8/14/2021 at 7:50 PM, Joe NC said:

I went there today and not a trace of a palm left.  Hopefully you got one before they were cleaned out.

We might have been there at the same time. I was there on Saturday around 1 pm. No palms in sight. I was SO dissapointed. 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:00 AM, Chester B said:

$150 to $20?  That's nuts, they never do deals like that here.

At Lowe's in Salem right after the heatwave, I just missed buying about 20 palms they put out for $1 ea. because they got some leaf burn.  Windmill, filifera, chamerops.  And not little 5 gallon palms either, they were 20 gallon pots.  I missed it by minutes.  A local nursery was loading them onto trailers.  I was just there the day before and they had them all marked 50% off.

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

At Lowe's in Salem right after the heatwave, I just missed buying about 20 palms they put out for $1 ea. because they got some leaf burn.  Windmill, filifera, chamerops.  And not little 5 gallon palms either, they were 20 gallon pots.  I missed it by minutes.  A local nursery was loading them onto trailers.  I was just there the day before and they had them all marked 50% off.

Wow!

Not from a big box but speaking of good deals I picked this Kentia up for $10 from a thrift store this week. The other stems in the pot rotted out but this one seems perfectly healthy other than some burned leaves and a bit of scale. 

20210809_140313.jpg

• Like 1