Sign in to follow this  
Will

Sabal minor - Too late to plant outside?

Will

Hey,

I just got a small Sabal minor a week ago and was wondering if I can still plant it outside. Would it be better to wait for Spring so it can develop roots for a whole growing season or can I still plant it outside now?

I am located in the Eastern parts of Austria, near to Vienna. So winters might get cold, but shouldn't drop below -12°C / 10°F.

20210729_105849.jpg

• Like 1

ZPalms

I think the general consensus now that it is late to plant in the ground now but if you can provide optimal protection from the elements and stuff then you could probably put it in the ground, I'm sure somebody probably knows more than me but I have 2 Sabal Causiarums on the way and they won't be going into the ground until next spring because I'm a noob still and this is my first winter with palms and I'm scared! :D

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

I'd advise you to move it to a bigger and much deeper pot and let it grow over the winter. Consider planting next spring when nights no longer fall below freezing. It is still a very small palm to stick in the ground with winter coming on fast.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Will
2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I'd advise you to move it to a bigger and much deeper pot and let it grow over the winter. Consider planting next spring when nights no longer fall below freezing. It is still a very small palm to stick in the ground with winter coming on fast.

Thank you very much! I already planted it in a bigger pot. I also have some Sabal minor seeds in a growing box. Hopefully they gonna germinate too till next year 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have two seeding Sabal minors on the edge of my Garden Lot. I grew them from seeds sent to me by a PTer who collected them about 10 years ago from a Sabal in Savannah, GA. He thought they might be a dwarfed variety of Sabal minor but I am not sure of that. Each palm is about 4' wide by 4' tall and is seeding. Is there any interest in these seeds from US PTers? I plan to send them uncleaned. Let me know soon as I plan to cut/compost them if no one wants them.
      Sabal minor Savannah #1

Sabal minor Savannah #2

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For Sale in ONE LOT:
      Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf year-old seedlings x 3
      Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf year-old seedling x1
      Cost of palms = $20.00 for all
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail                 No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf

Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Here’s all of them when I got them unloadedThis is a 7 gallon sabal minor, begging to get plantedHere’s 2 sabal Louisiana 3 gallon That’s a palmetto on the right, sabal Louisiana center, and sabal minor 3 gallon left.I’ve got 5 more sabal minors to plant, didn’t have all my spots ready for them and they needed to get up potted. Put them in deep 7 gallon pots, they are on the right. The smallest palm on the left is a sabal etonia, and the one to the right is a sabal mexicana. I didn’t really have a plan for those just couldn’t pass them up when I was at the nursery, they were in 1 gallon pots up potted them for now.

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Walking around the yard weeding and watering and thought I would share some of what I have growing. Needle palms, sabal minor mccurtain, sabal minor, sabal Birmingham, various opuntias, yucca rostratas. 

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      Here is a small update on some of my palms that I have been growing here in Cincinnati ( zone 6b) WITHOUT any protection whatsoever. Unlike parts of Texas that saw below zero temperatures, We in Cincinnati experienced a low of 3 degrees Fahrenheit.  These are just some of my palms as of yesterday now that the thaw has begun. The large needle palm was a palm that I salvaged from a restaurant along the Ohio river just outside of downtown Cincinnati last September that had been growing in a median in the parking lot totally unprotected and fully exposed to the elements since 2009. I will be posting more updates on my other palms and exotica later.