IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Protection Ideas

ZPalms

This is separate from my coconut thread, but I wanted opinions from people here, I got some ideas from @Walt but of course his method for protecting a coconut would work in some way, but the problem is for me in my region my coconut would defoliate all the time or just straight up die and would require me to build a box around my coconut but no way of giving it sunlight since when it's cold here it stays cold even if it gets into the 40s its still not warm enough for the coconut, I don't want it to look like garbage all the time. So I got to thinking about bubble tents which would keep the coconut dry but also allow me to trap heat without having to do a drastic chop to the leaves to fit and protect it but it would still would look like trash and just to cross my fingers that it would even survive just to protect its crown and even though I'm a bit early before I actually have to take action for protection since the coconut is coming indoors this winter. These aren't very tall but it will be a while before the palm gets some height Id be able to cover it up and provide heat and airflow and be able to uncover it in the summer and let it just thrive but I'm just brainstorming and would have to do some modifications for these to work if Id consider giving these a try but ideally Id rather have a greenhouse but getting ideas on how I can have a temporary green house to let the tree do it's thing and get released in the summer and get sunlight and the things it needs in the winter because I'm sure anyone who has a coconut wants it out in the open during summer days by the pool B)

718WjGzBTBL._AC_SX522_.jpg.b0f6cf7e5e9678022854b913be67aab8.jpg

81THj8PVtTL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c0c859f72443cb56bcef4cf579e55f05.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

I started out using small clear umbrella covers...very difficult to heat

on a cold night unless... you throw a bunch of blankets etc on top.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

I started out using small clear umbrella covers...very difficult to heat

on a cold night unless... you throw a bunch of blankets etc on top.

I was thinking of getting those small bubble tents you put over plants in the ground but in the long run it wouldn't be viable for me because It would be hard to heat and give humidity while something bigger can keep the ground warm and frost free and allow me to give humidity and heat because I have an electric oil heater I could throw in there