IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caterpillars/Bugs Eating Strap Leaves

JDH23

Hey all,

I just noticed today while watering my Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ seedlings that a few of the seedlings had some holes in their strap leaves. I panicked a bit, as the two with the most damage are growing next to my fastest growing seedling, and I immediately researched what could be the problem. A few posts on here about similar damage to palms mentioned the possibility of really small caterpillars/bugs being a possible culprit and, sure enough, on the seedling with the most damage I noticed a VERY small caterpillar (or at least I think that’s what it was) and quickly squashed it. I’ve attached pictures of the damage and the best photo of the bug I could get for context. 

FEB07250-DE9C-424A-BDCD-F8D1481B5A53.thumb.jpeg.70f3b8a7beca40161c11947ce1824cbb.jpegBBF17233-392F-42AF-A84F-171AA9C0BAAC.thumb.jpeg.15500ddf4d54ab78d83c8826254baec8.jpeg19B11BC9-1A4E-4D90-92FC-510B5B2CFA83.jpeg.278fb158e56247ebaf65a6b416ef3437.jpeg

So, I think I’ve determined the problem but I’m not unsure of what to do next. I’ve only located the one caterpillar, so I guess one of my questions is this one of those situations where if you find one there’s more? Additionally, how can I treat/prevent this from happening again? The palms are growing in a small greenhouse with a bug net so I thought I had sufficient protection, but evidently the caterpillar found his way in. I currently have a bottle of horticultural spray oil that I purchased over the winter due to a mealybug scare I had with my other palms, so I’m curious if this could work. A80186AC-5B5C-4BAA-B602-4BAAD70D6201.thumb.jpeg.1a077cdf503f2999a09d31798f3f1f19.jpeg

Any and all replies are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JDH23 said:

Hey all,

I just noticed today while watering my Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ seedlings that a few of the seedlings had some holes in their strap leaves. I panicked a bit, as the two with the most damage are growing next to my fastest growing seedling, and I immediately researched what could be the problem. A few posts on here about similar damage to palms mentioned the possibility of really small caterpillars/bugs being a possible culprit and, sure enough, on the seedling with the most damage I noticed a VERY small caterpillar (or at least I think that’s what it was) and quickly squashed it. I’ve attached pictures of the damage and the best photo of the bug I could get for context. 

So, I think I’ve determined the problem but I’m not unsure of what to do next. I’ve only located the one caterpillar, so I guess one of my questions is this one of those situations where if you find one there’s more? Additionally, how can I treat/prevent this from happening again? The palms are growing in a small greenhouse with a bug net so I thought I had sufficient protection, but evidently the caterpillar found his way in. I currently have a bottle of horticultural spray oil that I purchased over the winter due to a mealybug scare I had with my other palms, so I’m curious if this could work. 

Any and all replies are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I just had caterpillars trying to cause problems but if you don't have too many palms or plants then you can run your fingers over the strap leaves and check them daily and spray neem oil which worked for me, I also sprinkled diatomaceous earth around my plants where they sit but checking daily and spraying is the best solution to ensure none slip by! I'm sure somebody else probably knows more than me if you have a lot!

@ZPalms has good advice. I would add that you could spray seedlings with insecticidal soap. Be careful with horticultural oil. If you use be sure to move seedlings out of full sun. Years ago I fried a bunch of Dypsis sp seedlings by treating them with the oil, then placing them in the sun at a yard sale. I ended up killing some of them and set back the survivors for over a year. Please don't fry your Sabals

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

@ZPalms has good advice. I would add that you could spray seedlings with insecticidal soap. Be careful with horticultural oil. If you use be sure to move seedlings out of full sun. Years ago I fried a bunch of Dypsis sp seedlings by treating them with the oil, then placing them in the sun at a yard sale. I ended up killing some of them and set back the survivors for over a year. Please don't fry your Sabals

I always do this after the sun goes down or when its dark outside so by morning it's all dry :D

Edited by ZPalms

Agreed.

Do not use dormant oil.

Neem, soap, BT spray, spinosad.

All these are helpful. I've had budworms this year munching on some sabal seedlings. Pesky little baby butterflies!