IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weather

Jcalvin

This is in the wrong section, but it doesn’t look like the Weather/Climate board gets a lot of attention. Remove if this is against the rules. 

I was just wondering, for those that live in the SE, how much rain have you accumulated in the past month or two. 

I don’t know exactly how much we’ve accumulated here in SE Georgia. The climate sites that I know of are limited to the amount of data they collect. I haven’t found a website that collects rainfall data for my city or any cities that are near it. 

My parents have a 12” rain gauge, and they emptied it at the beginning of July. They say that it overflowed once about two weeks ago, and just in the past couple of weeks it’s back up to 6”. That’s almost 20” of rain in 2 months. This is the most rainfall in such a short amount of time since I can remember. 

• Like 1

My folks over in Douglas say this is the most rain they have ever seen in a Summer season.

I would also be curious how much rain has fallen.

A hell of a lot in the SE. Out West coulD do with some of this as it’s getting crazy here. Every day or second day the ditch at my front yard if full and a couple areas of the yard I need to put drainage in are flooding. 

SE Alabama here, we’ve received lots of rain, I think it rained at least 25 days in June. I’ve been out of town in New Mexico and it rained a little here and there in every town we went to. We hit heavy rain in Albuquerque. Most of New Mexico that we saw was a lot greener than usual., then we get to Austin and more rain all day. 

9 hours ago, Gator said:

My folks over in Douglas say this is the most rain they have ever seen in a Summer season.

I would also be curious how much rain has fallen.

My yard is holding water it’s so bad. I’m honestly worried about losing plants. We get a lot of rain when a tropical storm or hurricane comes through, but that only last  a few days. This has lasted over a month, and there’s more in the forecast. 

10 hours ago, Jcalvin said:

This is in the wrong section, but it doesn’t look like the Weather/Climate board gets a lot of attention. Remove if this is against the rules. 

I was just wondering, for those that live in the SE, how much rain have you accumulated in the past month or two. 

I don’t know exactly how much we’ve accumulated here in SE Georgia. The climate sites that I know of are limited to the amount of data they collect. I haven’t found a website that collects rainfall data for my city or any cities that are near it. 

My parents have a 12” rain gauge, and they emptied it at the beginning of July. They say that it overflowed once about two weeks ago, and just in the past couple of weeks it’s back up to 6”. That’s almost 20” of rain in 2 months. This is the most rainfall in such a short amount of time since I can remember. 

We are well above average on rainfall, especially for the year. For July i think we fell within the average, but Spring was extremely wet along with June. Once Tropical Storm Claudette moved through it rained almost every single day after that. Early July was actually extremely wet, but the end of the month was pretty dry with the occasional thunderstorm. So far this month it hasnt rained all that much, finally getting a break. I just know that Spring and the beginning of Summer was exceptionally wet, and we didnt have an actual heatwave until the end of July which is unusual. The ground has still not dried out due to all the rain we've had these past couple of months. If we get a hurricane later this month of September, even if we only get 4" of rain the flooding will be bad. NWS has Pensacola sitting just above 50" for the year, with the average being about 40" up to this point in the year.

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I don’t track measured amounts of rainfall, I’m outside in the garden for at least a little while each day. Just keep a mental rolling tally of when it rained previously and check the forecast of course to plan for when I need to irrigate. In middle Tennessee we average 75” a year I think. Last year for example I remember hauling 200’ of hose and the sprinkler down to my fruit trees at least 4 times during the summer. This year there has been so much consistent rainfall I haven’t irrigated the fruit trees at all, and really have only had to water all the potted palms outside. Always give the in ground sabals some extra water as well regardless of rainfall. For sure the most precipitation I’ve seen since I’ve lived in Tennessee. I feel like since February there has been 1 or 2 weeks we didn’t receive precipitation, past those every week had rainfall. The last big rain event a few weeks ago dropped 6” in 2 hours.

• Like 1

Oh boy here in east Tennessee, it is like we are living in a rainforest... For the past 3 year about, it seems it has rained nearly every single day or every other day. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. We on average get about 56 inches of rain a year. For the past 3 years we have gotten probably about over 80 inches per year which I'm pretty sure qualifies for a rainforest if this pattern were to continue. I will show you a picture of the current weather to show you I am dead serious... Sometimes it rains every single day of the week. It is really depressing. When I was a kid it never rained this much. We used to have a normal amount of rain that would be maybe once or week or so.. This year hasn't been as bad as last year or maybe the year before but it's still bad. I am lucky to get one day a weekend to be able to work on outdoor things. 

IMG_E4728.JPG

And here is the weather 2 years ago.... Pretty much the exact same horrid depressing weather... ---

t1111wdgm56t6o731kkk.jpg

Edited by maskedmole
  • Like 1

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

These are maps of rainfall totals from the Southeast Regional Climate Center for 30 and 60 days. My personal weather station in Virginia Beach has recorded about 15” of rain since June 1.

82730266-345D-4539-8E99-1C4E9A422453.thumb.jpeg.4bfcd89a577c0cc4cc3e7064fbd0368c.jpeg

77E9B2A8-3E8E-4D57-A6C2-F6D304620B6C.thumb.jpeg.f5ea33134fbf15b19a8ae26c9d7fe84a.jpeg

• Like 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

I'm in Raleigh, NC, zone 7b. This summer has been normal for us. HOOOOOTTTT and DRRRRRYYYYYYYY. I hate it. I can handle the heat but my plants need water. 

This summer has been an absolute dream in terms of rainfall and tropical plant growth in SE Texas. The rains continued into July and even now in mid-August, rain is in the forecast all week!

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)