Jump to content
Jonathan Haycock

Hybrid creation: Butia odorata x Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi F1

Recommended Posts

RJ
21 minutes ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

This reminds me of the BxP. sunkha I used to have in UK (from Patrick Schafer). Although smaller than your example, it had the same look about it.

Yes , this is an example of BxPjs from Schafer. It will be interesting to watch the two and compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk

Awesome job!  Put me on your waiting list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
On 8/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Awesome job!  Put me on your waiting list.

Me too I also have this cross from Patric definitely one of my prized possessions =) pics are 16months of growth from a 4x10 to a 5g which it's now pot bound =/ 

T J 

20201205_154808.jpg

20211017_125312.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Me too I also have this cross from Patric definitely one of my prized possessions =) pics are 16months of growth from a 4x10 to a 5g which it's now pot bound =/ 

T J 

20201205_154808.jpg

20211017_125312.jpg

Yours has a similar look to mine, although mine has is very glaucous and tomentous, almost silver looking.

20211008_114447.jpg

20211008_114454.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
4 hours ago, matthedlund said:

Yours has a similar look to mine, although mine has is very glaucous and tomentous, almost silver looking

Yeah I can't wait to put it in the ground. My container ranch is busting at the seems haha 

T J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

Jonathan where did you learn how to do this?  Do you have any links to online resources?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott W

I probably should've purchased one from Patrix but did not.  @Jonathan Haycock I'd love to get one once you're selling.

@Jesse PNW there's a few older threads on here documenting some of the process, many with Dr Wilcox, Dick Douglas, Tim Hopper and Erik.  This thread on the Palmpedia forum is really good as well...

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-making-of-a-butiagrus.2231/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jonathan Haycock
23 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Jonathan where did you learn how to do this?  Do you have any links to online resources?  

Just by reading lots of PalmTalk threads over the years and talking to knowledgeable palm enthusiasts. The following threads have some real nuggets I seem to recall:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4789-jubutyagrus/

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29646-parajubaea-sunkha-pollen-processing-for-hybrids/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWpalms@206

How are these doing now? Availability this spring/summer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
On 8/5/2021 at 7:19 PM, Jonathan Haycock said:

Any updates on the seedlings?  Do you have some decent sized plants now?  Would love to see photo updates if you do!   Great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jonathan Haycock
On 1/22/2022 at 6:04 PM, MarkbVet said:

Any updates on the seedlings?  Do you have some decent sized plants now?  Would love to see photo updates if you do!   Great work!

Still just seedlings pushing their second leaf although I expect growth to ramp up now we’ve moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland.

Certainly different (softer leaves) compared to pure Butia odorata and BxJ F1 I have at the same stage. 

530B040B-A6EF-4CE5-900B-5F8F30392A3D.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
3 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Still just seedlings pushing their second leaf although I expect growth to ramp up now we’ve moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland.

Certainly different (softer leaves) compared to pure Butia odorata and BxJ F1 I have at the same stage. 

530B040B-A6EF-4CE5-900B-5F8F30392A3D.jpeg

Lots of pretty baby palms!  Good luck with their growth,  hoping to see relatively fast growth compared to BxJ.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...