IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for FL relocation recommendations

Keys6505

I moved from NJ to TX (Houston z9a) about 2 years ago to get away from the cold.  It's fine but my parents are moving to FL soon and I plan on moving there as well to be closer to them.  I don't know much about FL other than Disney so I'm looking for some recommendations for some good areas to consider.  We are going there in a few weeks to check out the St.Pete vacinity, but that was basically just a shot in the dark.  My dad will live in the Villages and my mom will likely be in the Orlando area so id like to be within 2 hours-ish from both of them.  I really don't care for the packed in subdivisions where I am now, so I'd prefer a little more land.  Some of my wish list items are good schools, somewhat proximity to beaches, as close to z10 as I can get/microclimate, and ability to buy property and build new.  I know it's only a dream but going to see the springs with the manatees floating by is the best, so if there's any way to buy land on one of those that would be amazing but I'm not a millionaire.  Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 2

@Keys6505 Climate-wise, St. Pete is hard to beat.  That said, getting a larger hunk of property is a bit more difficult there than somewhere a little less developed.  @RedRabbit can probably give you more ideas.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

St. Pete is a great city, but land is expensive there and the schools in southern Pinellas aren’t very good so it might not be the best fit for you. You might be able to get something in Dunedin or Palm Harbor that fits your needs, but z10 only goes a couple blocks inland there so you need to be right by the water. Western Seminole could also work, but I’m less familiar with the area.

If you’re willing to go further south, Sarasota County has some good options. Osprey, Nokomis, Laurel, and Venice are all a little cheaper and have good schools. ‘West of the Trail’ is the best place to be for a number of reasons, climate included. 

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations.  I've been researching a lot since we're heading down there in a few days.  Venice looks like the crime rate is a little high but not far from there there's Port Charlotte which seems to be equally as affordable but with better crime rates and schools.  Seems to be waterfront lots that are still cheap too.  There are a lot of $10k lots popping up, it looks like there's a big subdivision that's cut up into a lot of individual properties with paved roads but not much building.  Anybody familiar with the area?

Venice schools really aren’t too bad, but they’re a little better just north in Nokomis. I can’t really think of anywhere with much crime in Venice either. 

I’m not too familiar with Charlotte County. Port Charlotte isn’t close to the beach and has a reputation for crime, but I’ve never really explored the area. The climate there isn’t the best either, if you’re not right on the water then it’s probably z9b. 

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b