IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga ryukyuensis germination

BeyondTheGarden

I ordered these from RPS a couple months ago.  A couple days after they arrived I went out of town so this baggie set on my shelf and I forgot about it.  Today I walked by and saw something surprising.  I guess they're easy to germinate?  

I have no idea what this media is that the seeds are packaged in but RPS uses this for some of their seeds.  

I know it's often advantageous, when using the baggie method, to leave the seeds in until they shoot their first green leaflets, but this baggie is probably too small for that.  How should I proceed with these?  

20210731_101815.jpg

20210731_101807.jpg

20210731_101758.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 5

I think waiting a bit is a good plan - they won't shoot up a long strap leaf like a CIDP assuming they are like A. engleri.  My 2-3 year old A. engleri seedling's oldest leaves are only 2" long.  Congrats on the eager seeds!  Saves you some time and effort.

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...

Well good news and bad news, seems one is shooting, but there was some white powdery looking mold so..

I'm still new to germinating palms, someone help me out here please. 

I pulled the seeds out, some I sprayed lightly with copper fungicide, some I did not, and I put them in some small pots with 100% perlite. They're in the greenhouse where they will get misted every morning when the irrigation kicks on.  

What else can I do?  I'm getting ready to go out of town for awhile so I hope they're not toast. 

20210914_185111.jpg

20210914_185048.jpg

• Like 2

If you are leaving, wipe the white stuff off with a light Chlorox solution and be careful not to get any on the roots, then pot them up.  The Arenga engleri seedlings out in my yard were handled this way.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Is straight perlite ok?  I was thinking it would reduce the amount of... "garbage" that can also add more mold.  Versus putting them into potting soil. 

13 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Is straight perlite ok?  I was thinking it would reduce the amount of... "garbage" that can also add more mold.  Versus putting them into potting soil.

If you're going out of town for a while, you'll want something that holds a bit more moisture than pure perlite.  I'd go with 75/25 potting soil/perlite.  Mine didn't need it to be really damp and moist, but they hated if their medium completely dries out.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I got some of these off eBay from a chap in the UK. 3 have sprouted over a period of almost a year :blink:. Very sporadic for me not sure why …

2 hours ago, RJ said:

I got some of these off eBay from a chap in the UK. 3 have sprouted over a period of almost a year :blink:. Very sporadic for me not sure why …

These were super erratic for me too when I germinated them a few years ago. I think its normal for the species if you get older seeds

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 months later...

Little update.  These little guys have been chugging along in the grow box.   Looks like they're both about to push out a new strap leaf. 

I'm down to these 2, not sure what happened to the rest.  One died from fungal something-or-other after it sat in a puddle for a few days.  The other ones never pushed out any aerial growth. 

20211203_155305.jpg

20211203_155310.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Gorgeous.  How long have you had that?  

Why is it that, every time I'm interested in growing an obscure and hard-to-find palm, I find that you're already growing it? 

• 3 months later...

Update, the original two on the right. 2 more seeds sprouted somewhere along the way.  Lots of seeds rotted, I sorted through them all and disposed of rot and mold and cleaned all the intact seeds.  

I love the serrated ends of these leaflets.  

20220321_073746.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

If you look carefully at the middle specimen, the newest frond has distinct leaflets now. 

20220522_084148.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

These seem to languish.  They took sunburn when I moved them outside at the beginning of this summer, and have been slow to push out new growth.  I checked the soil, it's a modified recipe based off Pal Meir's recipe for Lytocaryum.  Lots of orchid bark and hydroton (expanded clay pellets).  The soil drains very fast and stays pretty dry. 

This species seem to grow in damp places in habitat, seems like they're often pictured right by water.  I'm wondering if they would like a slower draining soil?  

I also read that they like mild temperatures.  Does anyone have observations on what temp and humidity levels these do best in?

20221030_090346.jpg

20221030_090726.jpg

20221030_090659.jpg

20221030_091132.jpg

20221030_091151.jpg

9 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

These seem to languish.  They took sunburn when I moved them outside at the beginning of this summer, and have been slow to push out new growth.  I checked the soil, it's a modified recipe based off Pal Meir's recipe for Lytocaryum.  Lots of orchid bark and hydroton (expanded clay pellets).  The soil drains very fast and stays pretty dry. 

This species seem to grow in damp places in habitat, seems like they're often pictured right by water.  I'm wondering if they would like a slower draining soil?  

I also read that they like mild temperatures.  Does anyone have observations on what temp and humidity levels these do best in?

Mine don’t seem to mind the hot humid SE, not-in full,sun either though. They’re apparently some growing in the Orlando FL,area. 

I'm growing mine in full sun.  They like  a high degree of moisture in the soil and the leaves will yellow or bleach out if it gets too hot and dry.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:38 PM, Jesse PNW said:

@RJ are you growing yours in-ground?

Mine are in pots still. They should hit the ground next year .