Sign in to follow this  
Jesse PNW

Arenga ryukyuensis germination

Jesse PNW

I ordered these from RPS a couple months ago.  A couple days after they arrived I went out of town so this baggie set on my shelf and I forgot about it.  Today I walked by and saw something surprising.  I guess they're easy to germinate?  

I have no idea what this media is that the seeds are packaged in but RPS uses this for some of their seeds.  

I know it's often advantageous, when using the baggie method, to leave the seeds in until they shoot their first green leaflets, but this baggie is probably too small for that.  How should I proceed with these?  

20210731_101815.jpg

20210731_101807.jpg

20210731_101758.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 4

Fusca

I think waiting a bit is a good plan - they won't shoot up a long strap leaf like a CIDP assuming they are like A. engleri.  My 2-3 year old A. engleri seedling's oldest leaves are only 2" long.  Congrats on the eager seeds!  Saves you some time and effort.

Jesse PNW

Well good news and bad news, seems one is shooting, but there was some white powdery looking mold so..

I'm still new to germinating palms, someone help me out here please. 

I pulled the seeds out, some I sprayed lightly with copper fungicide, some I did not, and I put them in some small pots with 100% perlite. They're in the greenhouse where they will get misted every morning when the irrigation kicks on.  

What else can I do?  I'm getting ready to go out of town for awhile so I hope they're not toast. 

20210914_185111.jpg

20210914_185048.jpg

• Like 1

kinzyjr

If you are leaving, wipe the white stuff off with a light Chlorox solution and be careful not to get any on the roots, then pot them up.  The Arenga engleri seedlings out in my yard were handled this way.

Jesse PNW

Is straight perlite ok?  I was thinking it would reduce the amount of... "garbage" that can also add more mold.  Versus putting them into potting soil. 

kinzyjr
13 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Is straight perlite ok?  I was thinking it would reduce the amount of... "garbage" that can also add more mold.  Versus putting them into potting soil.

If you're going out of town for a while, you'll want something that holds a bit more moisture than pure perlite.  I'd go with 75/25 potting soil/perlite.  Mine didn't need it to be really damp and moist, but they hated if their medium completely dries out.

RJ

I got some of these off eBay from a chap in the UK. 3 have sprouted over a period of almost a year :blink:. Very sporadic for me not sure why …

Kailua_Krish
2 hours ago, RJ said:

I got some of these off eBay from a chap in the UK. 3 have sprouted over a period of almost a year :blink:. Very sporadic for me not sure why …

These were super erratic for me too when I germinated them a few years ago. I think its normal for the species if you get older seeds

• Like 1