Sign in to follow this  
maskedmole

Is my sabal minor actually 3 plants or just one?

maskedmole

So I noticed my sabal minor is growing faster than my needles who take forever to push out one spear but my sabal minor is currently growing like 3 spears. I look closer and see it almost looks like 3 different sabal minors like 3 different starting points. Is that just how they look or is it 3 different plants? If so should I separate them or will they be totally fine the way they are? This is how it came in the pot. 

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

Chester B

Yes multiple plants. These are very sensitive to root damage, best to leave them be. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Will Simpson

I guess they plant them like that to look fuller and bigger .

Allen

Hmm for long term I would think about killing 2 of them but it's a tough call.  The fronds are going to be right on top of each others spears.  Take a cutter and cut 2 of them ground level.  I may get hate for this advice LOL.  They will crowd each other a lot.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

maskedmole
8 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I guess they plant them like that to look fuller and bigger .

I figured this and thought it was a little devious of the seller to do that.. Either that or the seller just mass plants these things all in one area and just wasn't able to separate the seedlings without damaging their sensitive roots. 

maskedmole
8 hours ago, Allen said:

Hmm for long term I would think about killing 2 of them but it's a tough call.  The fronds are going to be right on top of each others spears.  Take a cutter and cut 2 of them ground level.  I may get hate for this advice LOL.  They will crowd each other a lot.

Aw man I don't think I have the heart to do that lol.. Hopefully one of them will grow bigger than the others and serve as the main plant?

Allen

Well you cant separate them without possibly killing them and later on I think it may be a problem. But on the other hand they may grow fine for a few years but I kind of think you will be faced with that decision down the road anyway.  

Chester B

No need to separate they look totally fine planted in a triple. You can hardly tell it’s three palms. I’d leave them alone. This is a triple Sabal minor. 

A4673E59-F9DC-4A2C-8E25-840D76313302.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

zimm
On 7/31/2021 at 2:15 PM, Allen said:

Hate hate hate :)  leave the poor palms alone!

• Like 1