Sign in to follow this  
PlantDad

Washingtonia Robusta Zone 8b Oregon

PlantDad

I bought this Washingtonia robusta at the beginning of summer. Since then it has grown multiple new leaves. It was one of my few potted plants that I didn't move to shade during our record breaking heat wave. It handled 117 degrees like it was nothing. The location where I have it gets sun almost all day and is covered in concrete and asphalt so it really bakes in the afternoon sun. I'm excited to see how it does through the winter here.

20210729_171711.jpg

20210729_171634.jpg

20210729_171938.jpg

• Like 3

PalmatierMeg

Looks great. Will you plant it?

Josue Diaz

Ahh yes, those do love concrete and asphalt lol. Looks great.  The furthest north I've seen "roadside" (read: non-cultivated) washingtonia has been Redding, but I looked up Salem's average temps and it seems like you have pretty mild winters there. 

• Like 1

PlantDad
40 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looks great. Will you plant it?

Thank you! Unfortunately I will probably be moving from this house in the next year or so and I want to make sure I can bring it with me. I hope to plant it one day though 

PlantDad
18 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Ahh yes, those do love concrete and asphalt lol. Looks great.  The furthest north I've seen "roadside" (read: non-cultivated) washingtonia has been Redding, but I looked up Salem's average temps and it seems like you have pretty mild winters there. 

Lol yeah I thought it would like the searing heat of that location. Thanks. I really try to keep up on plant care lol. I was out watering when it was 117 degrees. I was just careful. Yes we do have pretty mild winters here. It's more 9a majority of the time. I like it here

• Like 1