Sign in to follow this  
ColumbusPalm

Trachys & Sabals in Pots - Wintering

ColumbusPalm

Hey All,

I have quite a few palms in pots. As we get nearer to fall/winter, I am wondering what to do with them as I do not have a garage. I do have a wood shed but not sure if that would be warm enough for them?Should I leave them out and just put them in the shed with Christmas lights and maybe heat mats underneath the pots during the coldest weeks/days? Not sure how quickly soil in the pots would freeze but if the highs were in the 40s in the day and 20s at night, would that freeze them? That's a typical January/February here with some cold snaps here and there that may last a week. 

Appreciate any opinions on it.

PalmatierMeg

Do you have a basement where you could set up an area for your container garden? 

• Like 1

ColumbusPalm
2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Do you have a basement where you could set up an area for your container garden? 

I do but it’s not much cooler than the rest of the house. Maybe by 5-8 degrees. The bathroom on the first floor gets quite cold it I keep the door shut. Would that be better?

Allen

Potted palms will die in zone 6 if left outdoors.  You will need to bring them in when temps go under 25F for larger pots and 32F for small palms.  If the shed can be kept over those temps then it would work.  It will need some kind of heat.  I'd bring them indoors if possible.

• Like 1

ColumbusPalm
28 minutes ago, Allen said:

Potted palms will die in zone 6 if left outdoors.  You will need to bring them in when temps go under 25F for larger pots and 32F for small palms.  If the shed can be kept over those temps then it would work.  It will need some kind of heat.  I'd bring them indoors if possible.

I have the room indoors for sure. I grow a lot of tropicals and have medal halides for them in a plant room. Maybe I can even keep their growth going indoors with my setup?