Sign in to follow this  
Firewalker22@yahoo.com

Whats wrong with my Palm Tree Trunk?

Firewalker22@yahoo.com

Can anyone help me please.  I am a newbie. I have a palm tree.  I suddenly noticed a wet looking area at the trunk. There is a small amount of soft rot in the area. Not super deep. Is this a fungus attack?

20210729_112003.thumb.jpg.62d36b8a3d93281dc68417c542964f5a.jpg

Am I Beyond hope?  This developed suddenly. I sprayed with copper fungicide. The tree appears otherwise healthy.

20210729_111840.jpg

SEPalm

Looks like trunk erosion. This is pretty common sometimes in sabal palms. The good news is it doesn’t seem to harm the palm and yours based upon the crown looks very healthy. 

To my knowledge no one knows the exact cause and it does not seem to be fungus related. No treatment or cause for concern is necessary.

A common problem in sabal palms is the sloughing of the "pseudobark" from the outside of the trunk. Once this occurs, further erosion of the trunk tissue can occur, often exposing the vascular bundles and occasionally destroying large sections of trunk (Figure 9). The cause of this problem has not been determined, and no pathogenic fungi have been isolated from affected trunk tissue. It has often been attributed to damage from irrigation sprinklers, but it also occurs on palms that have never been irrigated. It does not appear to have any noticeable effect on palm health or survival.”

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/st575

Edited by SEPalm
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• jdl
      By jdl
      How many lbs. of fertilizer should I use for my Sylvester palms? There’s about 10 ft of clear trunk.

• jdl
      By jdl
      What fertilizer is best for Sylvester palms and how much fertilizer should I use?

• jdl
      By jdl
      What type of fertilizer is best for my two 9ft tall Sylvester palms? Also how much fertilizer should I use per tree?
    • jdl
      By jdl
      Will this much water sitting under my Sylvester palm kill it? I’ve had it for about a month and all this water sits under it when it rains. There’s no discoloration but the fronds have lowered a tiny bit the past few days and I’m scared it might die. Will it be fine?
    • Milk Sasquatch
      By Milk Sasquatch
      Hey there. The garbage man hit the trunk of one of our very large palms while ridiculously trying to maneuver his truck on a 40 point turn in our culdesac.  A pretty deep gash has been made in the side about 1.5" deep.  What can I do to make sure this doesn't compromise the integrity of the tree or to make it less vulnerable.   Is there some kind of sealant I need to put on the exposed portion, or is it ok to leave as is?  Thanks for any help!  I love this tree and would be really bummed if anything worse happens to it.