JJPalmer

Personal Weather Station - Experiences?

JJPalmer

Would love to know what stations everyone uses and their experiences with them. I currently have an Ambient Weather WS-2000 and am potentially looking to upgrade.  My parents have also been looking at a PWS, albeit up north which comes with a different set of conditions. My wife vetoed the Davis VP2, but would appreciate any thoughts on the Tempest, WS-5000, or other stations on the market!

In fairness, my WS-2000 has shown almost identical readings to a nearby Davis VP2, so no real need to upgrade. Just looking to see what’s out there!

• Like 1

kinzyjr

@JJPalmer Here are a few threads that have discussed this topic:

When I take a look at the various models available, the temperature tolerance on them is usually +/-2F for the modest grade models and +/-1F for top-tier models like DVP2.  Most of the WU stations in my area are the Ambient Weather WS-####.  There are a lot of Davis units in the area as well, but I don't notice a gigantic departure in the readings from one station to another.  I may be incorrect on this, but I think the "bad readings" tend to manifest themselves when conditions start going outside of the typical conditions (i.e. record hot/cold, super-saturated humid air, extreme winds, direct summer sunlight, etc.).

<kidding>By the way, if you and your wife have kids or a pet, you can enlist them to help you override a veto with 2/3rd vote ;) </kidding>

• Like 2

mydateplams

I have a lot of experience on remote location commercial style weather stations and ran three four about 7 years and none on home style units

Station 

https://www.davisinstruments.com/collections/vantage-pro2/products/wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield

You can get a usb and to terminal adapter and have it upload the date to a remote site.

The computer it needs to be windows you would use Weather Display to poll the station and then ftp that to a local or remote ftp server.

Software to connect to the local station to send the data.

https://www.weather-display.com/

PHP template to run on the remote server using Apache

https://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/index.php Looks like this https://saratoga-weather.org/index.php

• Upvote 2

Tyrone

I can’t get a weather station to last more than 18 months here so I’ve given up. I think I need to spend big dollars for a better unit with replaceable sensors etc for it to last here and essentially I can’t justify the expense, in my case. Davis is what I was looking at. But everything in Oz is twice the price of the US (are you reading this Apple) 

JJPalmer
On 8/4/2021 at 3:23 PM, kinzyjr said:

@JJPalmer Here are a few threads that have discussed this topic:

When I take a look at the various models available, the temperature tolerance on them is usually +/-2F for the modest grade models and +/-1F for top-tier models like DVP2.  Most of the WU stations in my area are the Ambient Weather WS-####.  There are a lot of Davis units in the area as well, but I don't notice a gigantic departure in the readings from one station to another.  I may be incorrect on this, but I think the "bad readings" tend to manifest themselves when conditions start going outside of the typical conditions (i.e. record hot/cold, super-saturated humid air, extreme winds, direct summer sunlight, etc.).

<kidding>By the way, if you and your wife have kids or a pet, you can enlist them to help you override a veto with 2/3rd vote ;) </kidding>

Time to get a dog I guess...

• Upvote 1