IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can I plant Coconut in my climate?

Victor G.

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if I can plant a coconut palm in my region (I think not, but I'd rather hear some experienced opinions).

I have my own weather station outside the house so I attached it to the post. Included only Jan-Feb-Mar months since these are the "mean" ones.
Although here in Greece the hardiness zone mapping has been done sloppy and I cannot trust it, I believe the region here falls under the 10b USDA Zone (could also be 10a, but not worse than that).

This year we had two very cold winter fronts on February & March, usually it doesn't get much colder than that. We get just a little less than 3000 annual sushine hours.

If I can't plant any cocos here, I'd love to hear some other suggestions (already have date and canary palms and some washingtonias)

Thanks a lot! Victor

263328186_(33).thumb.png.21eeae35e7a6dfab0b62ef6fb5bda6f8.png

Give it a try.  May grow OK, but may not thrive.  I get a day or two a year when highs are less than 20c and it is apparent they don't like it.

You appear to have many weeks of that.  Good luck.

• Like 1

The "hardier" types are probably fine with the low temperatures shown.  If you hit 0C (especially with frost) then you'd need to protect it or risk serious damage or death.  I lost several small ones at 28F (-2C) with frost, but there are a couple of big, healthy Cocos in the area.  But dips down to 35-40F without frost are generally not too bad on Cocos.  You'd have some leaf burn around 35F.

My guess is that the weeks of low high temperatures (that there's an oxymoron) might be more of a concern than the nightly lows.  In FL we usually get up to 70+ during the day, even if it goes down to 30-35F at night.  That quick warming helps a lot of tropical palms.  I see a lot of nights at 35-40 and days at only 50-60.  That may be a bigger problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the answers!

It's true that while we don't have freezing temperatures here, the highs aren't that great during winter.

I've never seen anyone grow a coco here before, but then again turns out a lot of stuff grows here that people aren't interested in growing.

Maybe I'll give it a try by planting some coconuts, cause buying an established plant costs a fortune here.

Thanks again!

If that winter is typical then I’d think no chance without significant protection. Days in a row under a max of 10C will severely damage even hardier palms than C nucifera. 3 months in a row with average max of 16C probably won’t give it enough heat to survive. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Try Beccariophoenox alfredii. The cold hardy coconut look alike. 

• Like 5

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'd say it's rather typical for January and February. March was definitely below average, but even so the maximum temperatures would be around 20-22°C.

The place is directly by the sea, which means its temperature fluctuations are always small. For example, right now we get 33°C max and 29°C min.

Athens (the closest city) is a whole different story. Its minimum temps are lower than this place (9b zone) but has significantly more days with over 20°C max.

Thanks for the advice and the tip!

5 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Try Beccariophoenox alfredii. The cold hardy coconut look alike. 

This! Beccariophoenix alfredii. 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I agree: B alfredii

Coconuts are cold/cool sensitive and will not survive winter temps of 50s/60s and 30s/40s. Cold soil and cold rain will also kill them

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

18 hours ago, Merlyn said:

The "hardier" types are probably fine with the low temperatures shown.  If you hit 0C (especially with frost) then you'd need to protect it or risk serious damage or death.  I lost several small ones at 28F (-2C) with frost, but there are a couple of big, healthy Cocos in the area.  But dips down to 35-40F without frost are generally not too bad on Cocos.  You'd have some leaf burn around 35F.

My guess is that the weeks of low high temperatures (that there's an oxymoron) might be more of a concern than the nightly lows.  In FL we usually get up to 70+ during the day, even if it goes down to 30-35F at night.  That quick warming helps a lot of tropical palms.  I see a lot of nights at 35-40 and days at only 50-60.  That may be a bigger problem.

Based on how similar in appearance they are, but hardier to colder weather (and the cold wet of winter) the Beccariophoenix  is a much better decision than the true Cocos.   

I am based in Portugal, so also have a mediterranean climate ( rather warmer in winter though and staying usually above 0C at night) and definitely want to buy one of these when I can find one

Babypalms, an excellent supplier who I buy from,  are out of stock presently, but usually sell these palms at about 7ft tall. Currently listed at a little over 200 euros.

Beccariophoenix alfredii 200-220 cm maceta 35 cm, 199.90 EUR (babypalms.eu)

I would definitely spend that money to have one of these for my pool area (when it is eventually completed).. It would perfectly compliment the Jubaea, Queen Palm and small foxtails that are already planted in the same area at the moment

• Like 5

True, my 5 B. Alfredii in the ground sailed through 28F and medium frost...then 30F with heavy frost.  They took no significant damage at 10-15' tall.  Prior years at 5-10' tall also had no cold damage.  They are easily 5F (and maybe 10-15F?) more cold tolerant than a Cocos.

• Like 1

My B alfredii’s have all handled heavy frost, cold winds, long winters, sitting in water during winter, being flooded, gale force winds, and laughed it all off. I basically plant and forget. I’m about 800kms south of where a true coconut could be successfully tried in a normal garden situation. But even then 800kms north in Geraldton coconuts die in cold spells especially when young.

To grow a coconut where I live I would have to create a heated very large atrium that I’d stoke the fire in every night. Im over those sort of efforts now. 

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

A coconut did not even survive in my cold frame, while a Thrinax radiata was thriving in there. I am not optimist at all about your project. If your place is indeed so mild in long term as you describe, you got to try first a royal palm. I have done so this summer and the base of the stem has thickened up impressively. 20210828_125142.thumb.jpg.6d23201e13f9af4aa7e9272b38071123.jpg20210828_125421.thumb.jpg.e00209b6a1e2a3254411de5678cd4eb2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Even in my florida area(cool 10a) the cocos look yellowish and sick coming out of every winter, the alfrediis look great all year.  If they look great here and in a cooler climate like Albany, Austrailia where Tyrone lives, they will be excellent choice for your cool winters.  Your weather does sound similar to Tyrones, and his alfredii's look great.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank