IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia fruit and Chammy seed in 7B :

WSimpson

I'm really pleased with theses 2 palms here in 7B . My Butia had 5 inflorescences this year and flowered for the first time . 

Thanks for looking .

Will

Big Butia with fruit below :

C8BF38D6-3529-4E80-BD6D-95E1DDCE59C8.thumb.jpeg.fdc136eb57c5268a2e534eada6c96995.jpeg

66A70936-FD4C-4B4F-8A39-C63F2759143A.thumb.jpeg.115cdaa8565b7a34802bcab9824fa3cd.jpeg

4E3E4469-0381-4C88-A23D-111748CBD1C8.thumb.jpeg.d95445465cd7a5e6ee11c240dbef918e.jpeg

Chammy with viable seed ?

0E32BAB4-AE51-44E0-BCFB-94A87DDEF423.thumb.jpeg.fc6c57d977bcd18f1cec1cad562e0027.jpeg

BBBF9CDF-3E3E-4FA6-B27D-61D39EFA99BE.thumb.jpeg.9f0774d0f9715bbf5c9e3d21016e75e8.jpeg

424AC605-78FB-45FE-B964-FB83E395A4EE.thumb.jpeg.cd0808237a0d5e16007b299e6271b339.jpeg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 10

Wait until the Butia seeds turn orange. I harvested a bunch on the south coast of England a few months back, which are currently germinating. With the Chamaerops, you will want to wait until the seeds are red or brown, before harvesting them. They probably won't be ready until March/April though. Just saying. I think my Chamaerops seeds took about 12 months between the fruit first forming and them actually being ripe enough to harvest. In your climate it will probably be 10 months. I can tell you that they are certainly many, many months off still. Green fruit will not produce viable seed. Both the Butia and Chamerops seed will probably be ready in the spring.

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

19 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Wait until the Butia seeds turn orange. I harvested a bunch on the south coast of England a few months back, which are currently germinating. With the Chamaerops, you will want to wait until the seeds are red or brown, before harvesting them. They probably won't be ready until March/April though. Just saying. I think my Chamaerops seeds took about 12 months between the fruit first forming and them actually being ripe enough to harvest. In your climate it will probably be 10 months. I can tell you that they are certainly many, many months off still. Green fruit will not produce viable seed. Both the Butia and Chamerops seed will probably be ready in the spring.

Thanks 

Interesting ,

Will

2 hours ago, knikfar said:

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing. 

Thanks , I been impressed with their progress. .

10 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I wanna taste butia fruit so bad, They look like they taste good! Very beautiful palm!

They kind of taste like apricot to me. Maybe its just the ones I've had though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I wanna taste butia fruit so bad, They look like they taste good! Very beautiful palm!

I want to taste it too . Sounds like a very tropical taste from what I have read . Instead of making jelly I might mush it all up and put it in the freezer and then thaw it out to make  drinks with like vodka and Butia juice or some thing like that . :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

They kind of taste like apricot to me. Maybe its just the ones I've had though. 

I've read only on google that it taste like pineapple and apricot which fits your description of tasting like apricot but I don't even know what apricot taste like LOL :floor2:

37 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

I want to taste it too . Sounds like a very tropical taste from what I have read . Instead of making jelly I might mush it all up and put it in the freezer and then thaw it out to make  drinks with like vodka and Butia juice or some thing like that . :)

A fruit drink made out of the fruits sounds very nice and is probably how I would make some :P

Edited by ZPalms

On 7/25/2021 at 4:40 PM, Will Simpson said:

Chammy with viable seed ?

Might not be viable if you only have a female palm as the majority of them are dioecious.  Sometimes they produce flowers of both sexes though.  Dick Douglas' "mutant" form was monoecious and produced viable seed on its own.  That's why the seeds are true to form.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

Hmmmmm, now you have me wondering how much juice I'd get putting these through my Breville juicer....but apparently after removing the seed ..

:hmm:

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I've read only on google that it taste like pineapple and apricot which fits your description of tasting like apricot but I don't even know what apricot taste like LOL :floor2:

A fruit drink made out of the fruits sounds very nice and is probably how I would make some :P

They're very acidic, and they do have a apricot taste. 

The smell of them actually make me gag. It's a real strong odor, and the flies and knats are attracted to them.  I'm glad the squirrels are getting to most of them before they ripen.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Yes to this! Perfect for a palm themed party. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, knikfar said:

Yes to this! Perfect for a palm themed party. 

Thanks , I'm looking forward to a party with Butia juice as the mixer .

Will

• Like 1