IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First time planting vulcano advice

palm789

Hi I live in South Wales uk and bought a decent sized one for £395, not sure if worth it but oh well. 

My soil is clay mixed with top soil and sand and the reason why sand is because the landscapers after rotorvating did me a new lawn with superior drainage. 

Now what do I plant my vulcano in? I have a bag of multipurpose compost, top soil, ericaceous compost, a bag of perlite and a bag of coarse grit, anything else I need please let me know as I'm having the palm delivered in 3 days time.here is a pic of palm i bought. 

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-22 at 10.15.54.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s a beautiful palm and sounds pretty hardy for my zone...maybe I’ll give this type a try.

4 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

That’s a beautiful palm and sounds pretty hardy for my zone...maybe I’ll give this type a try.

Good luck finding one that size or at any size outside of the UK. 395 doesn’t sound bad to me considering the rarity and size for a slow growing palm. I’d treat it like any other Chamaerops so if you have well draining soil that’s great. In general I find them to be pretty easy care free palm. Give it full sun in your location. 

• Like 1

Getting my palm delivered tomorrow, is it too late in the growing season to plant it here in the uk? 

I am no expert but my gut feeling is yes. The palm is large and healthy and probably has been living outside in that pot forever so would appreciate being in the ground. I visited South Wales in June and found summer temps did not approach my definition of warm: highs of 10-15C and lows of 7-10C (approx. 50-65F and 45-50F).

Tough palm and a beautiful one. Should be a showpiece in  your yard

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I planted it in a mix of multipurpose compost, top soil, perlite, and soft clay I put put an inch of coarse grit in bottom of hole, it looks like it's planted higher but it's not as roots showing from being multi trunk. 

I planted it the best I could, I takes about 10-25 seconds to drain after I watered it. 

I just hope the drainage is good, I tried my best. 

Will my palm survive? Also what is a good decoration for around the palm that won't effect the palm. 

Thanks

IMG_20210729_173449.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful palm and the location looks protected.  If it were me I might "baby it" the first winter especially since it doesn't have a full summer to get established (maybe wrap it or use Christmas lights on very cold nights).  The garden center can probably advise. I also have no idea what your winters are like. 

You could always leave it as a solitary plant for now and gradually add other Mediterranean-style plants nearby over time, mulched with stone rather than bark.  

It looks great where you planted it. I find Chamaerops are not intimidated by other plantings but I think it looks so good as it is planted in front of that fence. You may want to let it settle in over fall/winter. What plantings/decorations are you considering?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

It looks great where you planted it. I find Chamaerops are not intimidated by other plantings but I think it looks so good as it is planted in front of that fence. You may want to let it settle in over fall/winter. What plantings/decorations are you considering?

Maybe some azaleas,or any colourful tropicals that can handle the UK weather, I tried cannas every year and they just die off, it was raining very heavy last night and the rain just drains into the soil, so far I'm happy so far with drainage.