IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filibusta Growth Update and fertilizer tips for seedlings?

ZPalms

My washies are looking good but their growth seemed to have slowed down for some reason because the 3rd strap leaf has been taking a very long time to push through, I wish the other empty bags would germinate I put seeds in them because they looked like they were going to root but so far nothing.

I know nothing when it comes to fertilizing plants but when is the proper time to start fertilizing palms in general or do you not fertilize seedling? 

IMG_6445.jpeg

• Like 1

They're probably working on establishing their roots. 

As far as fertilizing goes, I'm still trying to figure it out too. I did mix up some "stink water" for my babies yesterday - I put a drop of SuperThrive and 1/3 strength Alaska fish emulsion in a gallon of water. It.....doesnt smell great lol. 

• Like 2

That’s the truth...had to move on from fish fertilizer. Couldn’t take the smell. As for fertilizing, I’d say go lite and concentrate on a root growing formula since that is basically the foundation of any healthy plant...once a good amount of foundational root is established, focus on the plant structure above ground. As for my established palms, I’ve finished concentrated synthetic fertilizer so they can begin to harden off for the winter and will concentrate on organic/molasses for the soil critters that help to make this all happen.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

They're probably working on establishing their roots. 

As far as fertilizing goes, I'm still trying to figure it out too. I did mix up some "stink water" for my babies yesterday - I put a drop of SuperThrive and 1/3 strength Alaska fish emulsion in a gallon of water. It.....doesnt smell great lol. 

7 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

That’s the truth...had to move on from fish fertilizer. Couldn’t take the smell. As for fertilizing, I’d say go lite and concentrate on a root growing formula since that is basically the foundation of any healthy plant...once a good amount of foundational root is established, focus on the plant structure above ground. As for my established palms, I’ve finished concentrated synthetic fertilizer so they can begin to harden off for the winter and will concentrate on organic/molasses for the soil critters that help to make this all happen.

LOL stink water, I don't have much money but I still need to get my hands on some of that liquid kelp, I've been meaning to get some since theirs apparently no harm in it for shocked roots and I wanted some for my sabals but it could be beneficial to seedlings too?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ZPalms said:

LOL stink water, I don't have much money but I still need to get my hands on some of that liquid kelp, I've been meaning to get some since theirs apparently no harm in it for shocked roots and I wanted some for my sabals but it could be beneficial to seedlings too?

It really isn't _that_ bad - I work in hospitality and I've worked in healthcare so I've def smelled worse. And I dilute it so much it only stinks when I open the bottle of fish stink. 

• Like 1

All I know when you get them to this stage :

B55248F4-C029-426D-ABA4-02543A819687.thumb.jpeg.32ea6c826893616340546226e1baf2a0.jpeg

That with the right conditions , they'll be this big in 10 years :

50759353307_f6601e1570_b.jpg

Thanks ,

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

All I know when you get them to this stage :

B55248F4-C029-426D-ABA4-02543A819687.thumb.jpeg.32ea6c826893616340546226e1baf2a0.jpeg

That with the right conditions , they'll be this big in 10 years :

50759353307_f6601e1570_b.jpg

Thanks ,

Will

This is the best thing about washies is they just make their way up real quick but it would take over 20 years for a sabal 

On 7/24/2021 at 9:44 PM, ZPalms said:

My washies are looking good but their growth seemed to have slowed down for some reason because the 3rd strap leaf has been taking a very long time to push through, I wish the other empty bags would germinate I put seeds in them because they looked like they were going to root but so far nothing.

I know nothing when it comes to fertilizing plants but when is the proper time to start fertilizing palms in general or do you not fertilize seedling? 

IMG_6445.jpeg

Yours look way better than mine! Been fighting off little green caterpillars eating the leaves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joetx said:

Yours look way better than mine! Been fighting off little green caterpillars eating the leaves.

Thank you!!! :innocent: I keep babying them, I've actually been seeing caterpillars unusually in the area that I've had them but they would always fry up in the sun before they ever made it to anything which is weird but I don't know if they were targeting my plants or just traveling in the wrong place at the wrong time! :violin:

5 hours ago, joetx said:

Funny thing happened after I replied to you, I went outside to water my seedlings and I found a baby caterpillar in the bag trying to get to the strap leaves :floor: Glad I went out when I did before it got a chance to start munching!! <_<

• Upvote 1