IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea trunks

ahosey01

Anyone know the actual diameter of a large jubaea trunk?

trying to measure where to plant mine.

9 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Anyone know the actual diameter of a large jubaea trunk?

trying to measure where to plant mine.

Up to 3 feet, possibly more 

Could be 3 to 4 feet diameter,but would guess 3 ft or less in Arizona.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210518_103751034_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210518_103732884_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210518_103811403.jpg

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

3 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Could be 3 to 4 feet diameter,but would guess 3 ft or less in Arizona.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210518_103751034_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210518_103732884_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210518_103811403.jpg

That park isn’t in AZ is it?

No. Mission bay,CA. (San Diego)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

The largest diameter one in SF is in the Sunnyside Conservatory on Monterey blvd.  I measured it several years ago at 51 inches dbh.  ( 130 cm ) 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

Got a Jubaea x Syagrus hybrid planted and only has 2 feet space in any direction. We'll see how it pans out. They DO seem to dig and move easily without any setback though. :lol2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20210724_165718146.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

I know you’re a little higher elevation, with cooler temperatures, but are there even Jubaea in Phoenix? I had heard they typically don’t survive?

I've got 5 gallon plants,5 years old, I grew from seed I collected from the blue jubaea in San Diego. I've found that even 15 gallon size Jubaea plants (3 different times) I brought back from CA growers, would ALWAYS die in our humid monsoon season of July/August. I have only been successful with this species by growing from seed I collected myself from the 1 Blue Jubaea in Mission Bay,(San Diego) CA. The ones I've got as survivors that I grew from seed, are over 5 years old,in 5 gallon pots,and still growing strong. The weakest seedlings have already checked out.

There are some good sized specimens in Tucson ,AZ,but I suspect the 20 something seedlings I have already sold locally, may one day be able to make statements in the Phoenix,AZ landscape. I DO have 1 of them planted in my own back yard from my 5 gallon stock. Collecting the seed yourself,then growing it on yourself,is the ONLY way to know exactly what you have. Buying from growers, that are buying from unscrupulous seed sellers,only have second hand information. Unfortunately,... there are seed collectors that will label their seed as whatever is currently the "must have" species.Get to KNOW your grower to be SURE of what you are buying.:lol2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

16271754221677901507182395589398.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

5 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Palmpedia says usually 4ft in diameter https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Jubaea_chilensis

off topic though, I don't know why but full grown jubaea trunks are haunting to me, They are massive LOL

L_jubaeachile.jpg

They’re absolutely huge.

What’s cool is that here near my house, there’s a naturalized population of W filifera on the Hassayampa river whose trunks aren’t far from this.  Not this fat for sure, but not far off.  I’ll have to get some pics with me in it for scale and share them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

I know you’re a little higher elevation, with cooler temperatures, but are there even Jubaea in Phoenix? I had heard they typically don’t survive?

Bought one off @aztropic - as he describes.

We'll see what happens!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

They’re absolutely huge.

What’s cool is that here near my house, there’s a naturalized population of W filifera on the Hassayampa river whose trunks aren’t far from this.  Not this fat for sure, but not far off.  I’ll have to get some pics with me in it for scale and share them.

Filiferas have some huge trunks, Too me they look like monsters in the wild :floor:

7 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

The late Dick Douglas,

Dick Douglas, Jubaea.JPG

Did he grow this tree from seed? It looks amazing and if he did I bet it was an experience to watch his plant get bigger than him over the years and are jubaea trunks smooth to the touch?

I don't know the size upon planting for Dick's Jubaea, for scale, he was more than six feet tall. Yes, the trunk is fairly smooth, lile a king or royal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

14 hours ago, aztropic said:

I've got 5 gallon plants,5 years old, I grew from seed I collected from the blue jubaea in San Diego. I've found that even 15 gallon size Jubaea plants (3 different times) I brought back from CA growers, would ALWAYS die in our humid monsoon season of July/August. I have only been successful with this species by growing from seed I collected myself from the 1 Blue Jubaea in Mission Bay,(San Diego) CA. The ones I've got as survivors that I grew from seed, are over 5 years old,in 5 gallon pots,and still growing strong. The weakest seedlings have already checked out.

There are some good sized specimens in Tucson ,AZ,but I suspect the 20 something seedlings I have already sold locally, may one day be able to make statements in the Phoenix,AZ landscape. I DO have 1 of them planted in my own back yard from my 5 gallon stock. Collecting the seed yourself,then growing it on yourself,is the ONLY way to know exactly what you have. Buying from growers, that are buying from unscrupulous seed sellers,only have second hand information. Unfortunately,... there are seed collectors that will label their seed as whatever is currently the "must have" species.Get to KNOW your grower to be SURE of what you are buying.:lol2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

16271754221677901507182395589398.jpg

Do these look bluer in real life compared to standard Jubaea?  I have seedlings started from seeds from the same tree. At this point they look like standard Jubaea to me. 

I don't think they look very blue right now, but a lot of palms don't show the bluer color until they get much larger. (med fans,Copernicias,etc)

Since I collected the seeds myself,and ONLY from that 1 Blue tree,the offspring should eventually have a better chance of color than if seeds came off the more common greener trees.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

I wouldn’t waste space for one in Phoenix I have 4 of them they have been alive for years but they look like hell 

• Like 1

Here’s a pic of me with the same Dick Douglas Jubea, just having a little fun (photoshop)

9DBF41D3-FA60-4650-90E5-F8F9781EE0A4.jpeg

• Like 6

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Huh. So you’re saying this might be a problem in the future? 

88767243-92A0-41C2-8715-3C7B7BF03D1C.jpeg

• Like 5

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Huh. So you’re saying this might be a problem in the future? 

88767243-92A0-41C2-8715-3C7B7BF03D1C.jpeg

Oops, it’s definitely gonna be a squeeze :floor:

• Like 1

Funny, up until a few years ago the neighbor on the other side of the fence had numerous large pines right against the fence. Between the roots and the pine needles, palms were almost un-growable in this area. So among the palms I planted was this one from a seed collected at mission bay a dozen years ago. It survived to see the pines cut down and is on its way now. It’s a perfect size right now. I’ll reassess one year at a time!

• Like 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

5 hours ago, freakypalmguy said:

Here’s a pic of me with the same Dick Douglas Jubea, just having a little fun (photoshop)

9DBF41D3-FA60-4650-90E5-F8F9781EE0A4.jpeg

Does anything remain of his collection there?

29 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

I think so, not 100% sure though, I seem to remember someone saying it wasn’t a palm person though

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

6 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

As far as I know, a lot of the original palms remain. The impressive bamboo forest out front was removed early on though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

4 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

As far as I know, a lot of the original palms remain. The impressive bamboo forest out front was removed early on though. 

That’s good, it always seems a collection like that gets bulldozed. 

• Like 1