IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this beyond saving?

Stylo328

It hasn’t been a very good month for my palm collection. Several of you have commented on the issue I am having with my hurricane palm. Yesterday evening I discovered that my OBI Island palm may have butt rot. 

I have attached a few photos. Please let me know if I have any options or if I should remove the palm and discard it this weekend. 

57E1D72E-6276-40F3-9796-7C824FC48B91.jpeg

C1D8FA4D-A126-4CAF-913B-3578E2B61113.jpeg

Those mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of a fungus, but I would not assume that fungus is attacking your palm.  Is the palm declining in any way?

To my eye, those mushrooms do NOT look like a Ganoderma conk.  Maybe someone wiser than me will comment.

Edited by awkonradi
  • Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I don't know what species of fungus that is but it is not Ganoderma zonatum the cause of what we know as butt rot in palms. Ganoderma is a shelf fungus meaning that the fruiting body appears much like a rigid shelf near the base of the palm. See the photo below.

There are lots of fungi showing themselves this time of year as we get our almost daily rains. Most fungi are harmless and can actually be beneficial. I mostly don't worry about them in my yard.

wxxL5xS.jpg

• Like 1

There is zero chance I would rip it out without significant visual decline in the plant. Let it go and monitor it for awhile. Looks like it will be fine 

3 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Those mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of a fungus, but I would not assume that fungus is attacking your palm.  Is the palm declining in any way?

To my eye, those mushrooms do NOT look like a Ganoderma conk.  Maybe someone wiser than me will comment.

I recently realized this, and started thinking about mushrooms differently.  The shroom is just a periscope from a big fungal submarine that’s underground.   

4 hours ago, Stylo328 said:

It hasn’t been a very good month for my palm collection. Several of you have commented on the issue I am having with my hurricane palm. Yesterday evening I discovered that my OBI Island palm may have butt rot. 

I have attached a few photos. Please let me know if I have any options or if I should remove the palm and discard it this weekend. 

57E1D72E-6276-40F3-9796-7C824FC48B91.jpeg

Those look like regular mushrooms, with the actually fungus working underground on organic material (which may or may not involve some dead palm tissue).  But it certainly isn’t ganoderma butt rot.  The palm is probably fine.  

Agree with everyone above. Looks like the fruiting body of a soil fungus. Do you normally mulch around your Obi and just removed it for the photos? If not consider adding a circle of mulch to deter weeds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you all very much for the advice. I will watch the OBI for any signs of decline in health.

I did find that nearby the OBI, the sprinkler valve has a small leak and the area is very wet. Hopefully the sprinkler “guy” will be able to come in and fix the leak today or tomorrow.

I am also taking you up on the advice and mulching around the base of the palm trees today. 

• Like 1