Kaname-kun

Pinanga "Purple Haze"

Kaname-kun

A wholesaler/grower in South FL is offering what they call Pinanga "Purple Haze," which they say is a hybrid. Anyone know anything about this? It looks like it has some P. speciosa color in it, but the fronds are more upright and smaller and the new shoots seem to be pink. (Interesting choice of varietal name, since I believe "Purple Haze" is the best-known marijuana hybrid in the world.)

IMG_5159.jpeg

Edited by Kaname-kun
more info
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Billeb

Never heard of it but it looks awesome. Does look to have different colors in the trunk etc. I can’t really tell a difference in the leaf structure. 

Kaname-kun

I am adding more photos here. I'll add photos of P. speciosa later. Dramatically different leaf structure.  

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

Edited by Kaname-kun
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brad52
5 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

A wholesaler/grower in South FL is offering what they call Pinanga "Purple Haze," which they say is a hybrid. Anyone know anything about this? It looks like it has some P. speciosa color in it, but the fronds are more upright and smaller and the new shoots seem to be pink. (Interesting choice of varietal name, since I believe "Purple Haze" is the best-known marijuana hybrid in the world.)

IMG_5159.jpeg

And I believe that the cannabis folks co-opted the name from the LSD folks...

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Beautiful Pinanga!

• Upvote 1

D. Morrowii

Complete WAG but could it be Pinanga caesia? Nice looking palm anyway!

John hovancsek

Florabunda is selling this as pinanga sp maroon crown. I have a small one but I think they are the same. They are fast growers and take full Hawaii sun. Purple haze? Lol

6800610B-8C5E-48FC-891C-0CD22333B12B.jpeg

20C677DA-7EFF-434A-9789-080145125EF2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Germinator
14 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

IMG_5159.jpeg

Purple Haze best known in the Jimmy Hendricks song was a reference to Acid. This palm has a dark base base to the petioles so I I think that is where the name comes from.

• Like 1

ahosey01

Would also be cool if it smelled like its namesake.

Kaname-kun
10 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Florabunda is selling this as pinanga sp maroon crown. I have a small one but I think they are the same. They are fast growers and take full Hawaii sun. Purple haze? Lol

6800610B-8C5E-48FC-891C-0CD22333B12B.jpeg

20C677DA-7EFF-434A-9789-080145125EF2.jpeg

I think you're right!  That was one of my suspicions, but your photos make a good case.

Kaname-kun

Here's a Pinanga speciosa showing the dramatically beautiful purple and the huge almost drooping fronds.

IMG_5129.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

bubba

Sir Hendrix would be proud!

• Upvote 1