IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Jubaea - Jubaea x Butia seeds

ZPalms

Anyone know anyone who has access to these? I've looked everywhere and nobody seems to have them at all and these have been top priority on my radar! much appreciated if anyone does! :blush2:

Where in NC are you?  I'm in wilmington and have two seedlings of a JXB f2 or 3, or more?

I bought a couple JxB F2 seeds from RPS probably 5 or more years ago, and some JXB F3or more seeds from Ebay.  I forgot about them for years in another pot after they took too long to germinate.  

I don't know witch ones ended up sprouting (I do know they were one of the jubaea hybrids because the seeds were very big).  Anyhow I can part with one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Joe NC said:

Where in NC are you?  I'm in wilmington and have two seedlings of a JXB f2 or 3, or more?

I bought a couple JxB F2 seeds from RPS probably 5 or more years ago, and some JXB F3or more seeds from Ebay.  I forgot about them for years in another pot after they took too long to germinate.  

I don't know witch ones ended up sprouting (I do know they were one of the jubaea hybrids because the seeds were very big).  Anyhow I can part with one.

I'm up in Fayetteville! Would love to have one! will message!

Edited by ZPalms

20 hours ago, Joe NC said:

Joe, have you noticed any growth rate differences between seedlings?  I have a BxJ F2 seedling that grows at the speed of a Butia.  I didn't germinate the seed but hoping it will at least show some Jubaea traits some day!  It's been in the ground 2 years since going pinnate and it survived 9F unprotected this past February.  It's a bit smaller than it was pre-freeze due to it being trunk cut.  Sorry for photo quality - it's not as yellow as it appears.

IMG_20210722_161730.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

On 7/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, Fusca said:

have you noticed any growth rate differences

Slow to painfully slow?

However not much worse than a straight butia seedling that I have growing under my fruiting adult.

These seeds took years to germinate, and are still at the small "grass leaf" stage. They put out about 2 leaves per year. I assume they should start picking up a little speed soon.

I have a yaytay x jub, and jub x yaytay.  Both are pinnate and put out several fronds per year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe NC said:

Slow to painfully slow?

However not much worse than a straight butia seedling that I have growing under my fruiting adult.

These seeds took years to germinate, and are still at the small "grass leaf" stage. They put out about 2 leaves per year. I assume they should start picking up a little speed soon.

I have a yaytay x jub, and jub x yaytay.  Both are pinnate and put out several fronds per year.

Yes, that's what I figured...you might have some F2 palms that end up being Butia and others that end up being Jubaea.  Both species are slugs as seedlings.  :interesting: Your Jubaea x Butia yatay F1 should grow much faster than any F2.

Jon Sunder

16 hours ago, Joe NC said:

I have both of those hybrids since December.  I got them as strap leaves.  Fastest growing palms in my collection.

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 1