IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I Prune?

ColumbusPalm

Should I cut these yellowing fronds now or let them be to let the palm use them during winter? 

Thanks in advance. 

C94589ED-A82C-4957-8292-AF652C15F2CE.jpeg

@ColumbusPalm If there's green let them be :D. I haven't pruned mine in a bit but they should be completely brown before removing. Here's a few pics of some of mine

20210721_124610.jpg

20210721_124626.jpg

20210721_124712.jpg

• Like 2

Let them be

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'd only cut them when they are completely grey/brown as palms still take valuable nutrients from the fronds otherwise. Sometimes I cut fronds for esthetic reasons but only on established palms that I know are are doing well. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't even consider those fronds yellow.  In your climate that palm needs all the help it can get.  Leave them allow unless they are totally brown.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Should I cut these yellowing fronds now or let them be to let the palm use them during winter? 

Thanks in advance. 

C94589ED-A82C-4957-8292-AF652C15F2CE.jpeg

Well...at the risk of being obsessive/compulsive, I tend to get uneasy when the few palms I have look asymmetrical or sloppy, so I’ve tended to cut fronds off that bug me. My largest Trachy has never had a brown frond and I wanted to see the trunk so I cut quite a few off...then a couple years later it looked unbalanced so I removed a few more to bring it to a more even bottom circumference...anyway, it’s doing great but I do understand the point that they draw energy from the dying fronds...again, this thing never shed a frond. I had to do it for it. The Brazoria behind it has been an obsessive’s nightmare as well but I’m leaving it alone.

AA9C7C64-AA4F-4FDD-B681-D3F74FE3E354.thumb.jpeg.f1d1c6b9ef10e6e28171bb5a1ae72e8c.jpeg

Now, this guy got the same treatment...I wanted to see more trunk on the Medi so I cut some green fronds off...there are some yellowing fronds on the right side that are beginning to bug me, sooo...just kidding. I’ll leave them till after winter then all bets are off. Yours are young so I do believe the best thing to do is leave them...but as palms get older, perhaps it’s ok to sculpt them a bit.image.thumb.jpg.8c02d2e7cb6d274740537aecdd4d1ddb.jpg

B33D6ECA-363A-4C2F-A966-DB1835E4CBC1.jpeg

• Like 2

If you want to prune green fronds which is NOT recommended for overall health I'd insure the palm is:

-Planted in ground, not potted

- planted for over 2 years and thriving

- Don't trim fronds that are not hanging downward

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

21 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@ColumbusPalm If there's green let them be :D. I haven't pruned mine in a bit but they should be completely brown before removing. Here's a few pics of some of mine

20210721_124610.jpg

20210721_124626.jpg

20210721_124712.jpg

Those cleaned trunks look awesome!

• Like 1

These ones are in full sun and get lots of wind so they aren’t as green as the ones I have in backyard. I remove 2 or 3 fronds a year when they look really bad or dead. A lot of inner city street palms around here have the yellow tips, it’s pretty common 

F46049ED-D187-4808-BF1B-843D1A397203.jpeg

F37D5545-F69F-4C80-8538-56B8CC685E63.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Those cleaned trunks look awesome!

Thanks! :D

Was a pain in the arse but happy I did it

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 2