IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea torallyii growth rate at Latitude 42 deg

Tassie_Troy1971

Here is my parajubaea torallyi  planted as a small 15cm seedling in March 2010.   Growth rate has been very impressive and now is setting seed.

My climate here is cool Oceanic temperate 500m from the water lowest ever temperature is -0.9 C ( 31 F ) summer highs are rarely  above 78  F and winters average 10c - 16 c ( 50 - 60 F ) closest comparable climate is Carmel / Monterey area south of SF California.

This palm is growing in deep very well draining sandy soil that has been enriched with organic compost and seaweed pellets. on Irrigation for 40 min every 4 days except winter and early spring the wettest part of the year.

220066409_1158073061341802_7062050640640975780_n.jpg

220157566_520125042569469_6411050322669652738_n.jpg

msg-1252-1261806594.jpg

Edited by Tassie_Troy1971
  • Like 21
  • Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

That thing is a beast, seems to have grown pretty quick considering the coolish climate.

That’s a beauty Troy. They sure are fast. I’m amazed at how fast they grow. 

Ive got 3 planted on a steeper higher section next to one of my lake/pond areas which initially drained water away very well. Then my neighbour raised his properties level so now all his water comes past my 3 Parajubaeas so they are effectively in a bit of a spill way now. I thought that would be an issue but they just love it. It’s not been an issue at all and they’ve bulked up. I think when the temp is right (cool) you can’t over water these. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

This P. torallyi was bought from Lois Hooper in 2008 as a five gallon entire-leaf seedling. It got planted at this location in 2012 and has been growing at a fast pace. Current height is probably 25’ (7m). Last March it bloomed for the first time with 7-8 more spikes opening since then. The inside of the spathe cover is blond when first open, very striking under low angle sunlight. The blond color will turn brownish red and the whole big cover(6’ or 2m long) makes great gift for gardener friends. 

I noticed that the leaflets on my torallyi are moderately weepy, not as rigid and neat as Troy’s specimen. I wonder if this is just normal leaf-form variation.

BE806074-3AED-4DA0-A993-1BCF22247412.thumb.jpeg.f841ecb24aa09d589a33350f8524996b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

That is a real beauty Troy! Great form on that specimen and I love the placement of it in your garden where it can really stand out.  Amazing that it is seeding at your latitude!

• Like 1