IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy tips?

ZPalms

I Just want tips from people who already own trachys and where should I plant them? is part shade better or full sun and does the crown of the palm depend on the lighting because I've seen pictures of trachys that have very small thin shrunken crowns which I want to avoid and how does heat affect this palm or do they like it to be cooler? ^_^

Most Trachycarpus don't have a problem with full shade or full sun. I've seen Fortunei's in full blazing sun in the Inland Empire & Central Valley of California where temperatures can reach 115F+ & generally high 90's , low 100's is the norm this time of year. Yes, being in full sun will give you that compacted look so I'd go half day to part shade. 

To me heat doesn't necessarily effect this palm as long as it's well watered. Now if we're talking Arizona, Coachella Valley/ Palm Springs heat that's going to be a problem. As well as Texas/ South Florida.  Alot of people say Trachycarpus tend to struggle in Texas, whether that is due to soil, oppressive heat & humidity or a little bit of everything who knows but IMHO I think it's mainly excessive heat with humidity. 

I've seen some pretty nice one's here in zone 8b High Desert here myself. They mostly have that compact look though being most are in full sun. 

Goodluck :greenthumb:

James

• Like 6

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Before the freeze we had some in full sun and they did well but never seemed to thrive.  I suspected the sun was a bit much for them.  That was in Texas heat though.  It’s interesting though as my seedlings I can see some tend to look a little burnt while others are more vibrant green.  Right next to each other.  Not sure if it is just different genetics or what.  Has led me to believe at in my yard a Trachy would thrive in partial sun more than full sun.  Again,  I am speaking Texas here.

• Like 1

Personally I think they look best in part shade. Mine have responded very well to daily watering during this summer heat. They also seem to prefer clay soil over sandy soil 

• Like 2

I think my soil around my yard is actually a mix between sand and clay (orangy looking dirt I think its clay?) so that works out perfectly but I think part shade might be a good idea cause I really want a nice full crown but not so compact where it looks shrunken and weird! thanks everyone!

• Like 1

I have them in both full sun and shade.  They don't mind either.  Even the ones planted against the south side of my house love the heat.

• Like 1

A lot of the differences in these palms depends on the individual specimen as well.  they have big trunks, small trunks, floppy fronds, stiff fronds, long petioles, short petioles depending on the genetics.  In 8A I'd plant in part to full sun.  Mine in full sun are super full and big.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

A lot of the differences in these palms depends on the individual specimen as well.  they have big trunks, small trunks, floppy fronds, stiff fronds, long petioles, short petioles depending on the genetics.  In 8A I'd plant in part to full sun.  Mine in full sun are super full and big.

The area I'm going to put it in gets majority full sun but afternoon shade late in the evening and close to the house :P

I got wild and put to much perlite into my potting mix so it's majority perlite now I gotta get more potting soil and balance so hopefully the trachy will be ok for the night or whenever I get soil cause I can barely tell if theirs any soil at all with the amount of perlite I poured:wacko:

If you like dense crowns, wide leaflets, and compact, stiff fronds, plant them in full sun.  If you like a more wide-spread and "reaching" crown, with stretched out petioles and widely separated, narrower, and more pendulous fronds, plant them in shade.  Trachy's seem to be not only among the most hardy, but also among the most versatile of palms.  Not an expert, just what I have seen over the past year of growing and online research.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

If you like dense crowns, wide leaflets, and compact, stiff fronds, plant them in full sun.  If you like a more wide-spread and "reaching" crown, with stretched out petioles and widely separated, narrower, and more pendulous fronds, plant them in shade.  Trachy's seem to be not only among the most hardy, but also among the most versatile of palms.  Not an expert, just what I have seen over the past year of growing and online research.  

It's crazy how diverse the palm can look just from where you plant it and how much light it gets :shaka-2:

On 7/23/2021 at 7:47 PM, ZPalms said:

I got wild and put to much perlite into my potting mix so it's majority perlite now I gotta get more potting soil and balance so hopefully the trachy will be ok for the night or whenever I get soil cause I can barely tell if theirs any soil at all with the amount of perlite I poured:wacko:

They prefer heavier soil with less drainage.  If you used that much perlite, you will have to water a lot.  Full shade planted stays deep green and long petioles with a lot of huge fronds.  Full sun planted stays less green, has short petioles and less fronds and smaller fronds overall.

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

They prefer heavier soil with less drainage.  If you used that much perlite, you will have to water a lot.  Full shade planted stays deep green and long petioles with a lot of huge fronds.  Full sun planted stays less green, has short petioles and less fronds and smaller fronds overall.

I fixed the soil yesterday, It has less perlite now with fair drainage