Sign in to follow this  
ZPalms

Trachycarpus Fortunei transplant

ZPalms

Is it to late into the season to transplant trachys into the ground now or do I still have time?

Edited by ZPalms

zimm

Not too late.  If ready to come out of pots get them in the ground.

• Like 1

ZPalms
2 minutes ago, zimm said:

Not too late.  If ready to come out of pots get them in the ground.

Awesome thanks! I'm about to buy 2 so I wanted to just make sure that it's still perfectly ok to get them into the ground before fall and winter :greenthumb:

ZPalms

I was going to buy a 2 year old trachy but I wanted to save a bit of money and bought 2 seedlings instead! Is it ok to plant the seedlings directly into the ground or should I put them in nursey bags for the meantime since their small?

PalmatierMeg

How big? Photos? If they are just little strap leafers you may want to keep them in pots until next spring. It is almost August and you will be moving into fall in a matter of weeks. If you do decide to plant them be prepared to protect them this coming winter. Maybe a PTer in NC can chime in with his first hand experiences.

ZPalms
37 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

How big? Photos? If they are just little strap leafers you may want to keep them in pots until next spring. It is almost August and you will be moving into fall in a matter of weeks. If you do decide to plant them be prepared to protect them this coming winter. Maybe a PTer in NC can chime in with his first hand experiences.

They are tiny strap leaves still so I suppose they can go into nursery bags unless?

il_794xN.2852927358_8l42.jpg

PalmatierMeg

Those are quite tiny. I live in SW FL and this is what I would with them or any tiny seedlings. I would pot them up and grow them until they are much larger, have more strap leaves or even going palmate. I am never in a rush to stick something in the ground until I feel it is ready. Those seedlings are not ready for life in the ground. Next spring, maybe, after chances of Arctic fronts go down.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ZPalms
4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Those are quite tiny. I live in SW FL and this is what I would with them or any tiny seedlings. I would pot them up and grow them until they are much larger, have more strap leaves or even going palmate. I am never in a rush to stick something in the ground until I feel it is ready. Those seedlings are not ready for life in the ground. Next spring, maybe, after chances of Arctic fronts go down.

Awesome thanks! I’m actually happy for them to go in pots or nursery bags, do they need something deep? Or can I put them in a tiny terracotta pot?

zimm

Agreed.  PalmatierMeg is right and I should have asked about size first.  Those are way too small.  Thought these were bigger/tougher and ready to come out of pots.  I am in Texas so slightly different weather but have put bigger palms in up to late July without issue in the past.  I have a ton of seedlings that size and they are staying in pots and going back in the garage with a heater over the winter.

I’ve noticed for whatever reason my T. Fortunei seedlings at that stage have not developed as deep of roots as others like sabals and washingtonias, so depth may not be as important for these.  (???)  Deeper is better though if the roots do grow that far..  Might be overkill but I put all of my single seedlings into 10” deep mini tree pots once I move them from community pots and then graduate up to 13.5” tree pots or larger.  Use what you have though.

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

Agree with @zimm. They want deep pots not tiny ones.

• Like 1

ZPalms
15 hours ago, zimm said:

Agreed.  PalmatierMeg is right and I should have asked about size first.  Those are way too small.  Thought these were bigger/tougher and ready to come out of pots.  I am in Texas so slightly different weather but have put bigger palms in up to late July without issue in the past.  I have a ton of seedlings that size and they are staying in pots and going back in the garage with a heater over the winter.

I’ve noticed for whatever reason my T. Fortunei seedlings at that stage have not developed as deep of roots as others like sabals and washingtonias, so depth may not be as important for these.  (???)  Deeper is better though if the roots do grow that far..  Might be overkill but I put all of my single seedlings into 10” deep mini tree pots once I move them from community pots and then graduate up to 13.5” tree pots or larger.  Use what you have though.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Agree with @zimm. They want deep pots not tiny ones.

Thank you! will throw them in nursery bags when they get here!