Sign in to follow this  
Mrtommy03

Sago Palm Damage - HELP

Mrtommy03

Hello, 

I have 2 sagos in my backyard (about 10 years old). I am in north Texas, and if you didn't hear, we had what I refer to as "snowpocolypse" a few months back. I tried to cover my sagos as best I could, but it was sub zero temps for multiple days in a row... Not fun. 

Anyways, all of the fans turned brown and I thought they died. Then came late spring and early summer, and tons of Pups sprouted out near the base... But nothing on top. I have since harvested 4 or 5 of the Pups, and they are doing great. But here we are in mid July, still no new fronds coming out the top, but still more and more Pups are sprouting. 

Question: Will it ever spawn new fronds on the top, or is that part of the plant dead? What should I do? 

ZPalms
On 7/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Mrtommy03 said:

Hello, 

I have 2 sagos in my backyard (about 10 years old). I am in north Texas, and if you didn't hear, we had what I refer to as "snowpocolypse" a few months back. I tried to cover my sagos as best I could, but it was sub zero temps for multiple days in a row... Not fun. 

Anyways, all of the fans turned brown and I thought they died. Then came late spring and early summer, and tons of Pups sprouted out near the base... But nothing on top. I have since harvested 4 or 5 of the Pups, and they are doing great. But here we are in mid July, still no new fronds coming out the top, but still more and more Pups are sprouting. 

Question: Will it ever spawn new fronds on the top, or is that part of the plant dead? What should I do? 

not sure if I'm late to reply to this but I'm sure it's still recovering