IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill Palm recovery

Jcalvin

Living in the very extreme part of SE Georgia, Windmill Palms really aren’t a “go to” palm for the area. Most of them, unless grown in the shade, look pretty bad, IMO. And even then, Windmills don’t do well with the nematodes that are in the Sandy loam here. 

Anyways, about 4 years ago I saw a pair on Facebook Market Place that an old guy in Hoboken just wanted to get rid of. They were grown under a huge live oak, and they actually looked really healthy. Both of them had a 4.5’-5’ trunk, but they were full of fans about 4’ long. So, I dug up as much root as possible in the middle of the July heat, loaded them up, and planted them in two different shady spots in the yard (I’ve transplanted quite a few palms). 

Unfortunately, one of them didn’t make it through the summer, and the other one lost all its fans except for the same two that haven’t grown for the last 4 years. I initially treated the spear with copper fungicide for a few months to no avail. Instead of digging it up, I just kind of forgot about it until yesterday when I noticed that it looked different. Today, after years of ignoring it, I walked by and noticed that it was indeed  pushing a spear. 

Probably a over-excited, but I am really looking forward to seeing how it looks a year from now. 

Admittedly, I have a thing for buying and working with distressed plants (to a fault). 

4373D2F3-2661-4364-9067-774C9840D472.jpeg

AEF0B88A-4E3E-44D5-B493-FE1381EBA39B.jpeg

08B8EAE0-5217-4120-9926-197FBC016286.jpeg

AC1E7EA6-6E07-4298-A97E-B9D0A02BF316.jpeg

• Like 5

Congratulations, hope it continues to recover for you.  Same issue as here, I just recently posted how Trachycarpus in Texas typically don't look good unless they are in some shade.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Congratulations, hope it continues to recover for you.  Same issue as here, I just recently posted how Trachycarpus in Texas typically don't look good unless they are in some shade.

I’ve seen 15’-20’ Trachs with about 4.5 foot of width at the top, and they just look odd if they’re in the sun.  

You probably didn’t get enough roots when you dug it. So now it’s been working subterranean for a few years and it’s ready to resume growth again.      They are pretty tough so I expect you’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of it going forward. 

On 7/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, Jcalvin said:

Living in the very extreme part of SE Georgia, Windmill Palms really aren’t a “go to” palm for the area. Most of them, unless grown in the shade, look pretty bad, IMO. And even then, Windmills don’t do well with the nematodes that are in the Sandy loam here. 

Anyways, about 4 years ago I saw a pair on Facebook Market Place that an old guy in Hoboken just wanted to get rid of. They were grown under a huge live oak, and they actually looked really healthy. Both of them had a 4.5’-5’ trunk, but they were full of fans about 4’ long. So, I dug up as much root as possible in the middle of the July heat, loaded them up, and planted them in two different shady spots in the yard (I’ve transplanted quite a few palms). 

Unfortunately, one of them didn’t make it through the summer, and the other one lost all its fans except for the same two that haven’t grown for the last 4 years. I initially treated the spear with copper fungicide for a few months to no avail. Instead of digging it up, I just kind of forgot about it until yesterday when I noticed that it looked different. Today, after years of ignoring it, I walked by and noticed that it was indeed  pushing a spear. 

Probably a over-excited, but I am really looking forward to seeing how it looks a year from now. 

Admittedly, I have a thing for buying and working with distressed plants (to a fault). 

4373D2F3-2661-4364-9067-774C9840D472.jpeg

AEF0B88A-4E3E-44D5-B493-FE1381EBA39B.jpeg

08B8EAE0-5217-4120-9926-197FBC016286.jpeg

AC1E7EA6-6E07-4298-A97E-B9D0A02BF316.jpeg

Rewarding success when this all works out...I "rescued" my Mediterranean Fan from our local  garden center...it was in the greenhouse and covered with mites...about 12" tall, it was quite a mess but I got them to sell it to me at a discount (they should have just given it to me as they said they would probably throw it away and they didn't want to sell a diseased plant) anyway, I put it right in the ground in 2014 as I knew it was definitely not a humid, hot, greenhouse palm. I treated the mite infestation and it's now about 5' tall and 4' wide...it's a beautiful palm that gets protected in the winter but that protection is going to be selective from here on out, according to the lows predicted. I've ordered a few palms that have arrived in perfect condition and ready to go in ground, but this one has a special place in the garden...at least for me.

• Upvote 1