IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC - In Person Meeting AUGUST 14, 2021

DoomsDave

Everyone, I am pleased to announce an in person PSSC meeting in cool but sunny San Clemente, Orange County.

Two long-time PSSC members, Rick Luna and Walt Frey have agreed to host at their homes and gardens on Saturday, August 14, 2021. 

The first garden will be that of the Luna family, at 114 W. Paseo de Cristobal, San Clemente, CA 92672. Ever wonder what some of those New Caledonians you get from Floribunda look like when mature? Come here and feast your eyes on towering Chambeyronia hookeri and macrocarpa, various Burretiokentias, plus a nice, large Pinanga javana, and a near-monumental Laccospadix australasica, that's now about 8 feet tall, plus a towering Pritchardtia. Speaking of monumental, you won't be able to miss the magnificent 10-plus foot tall Hyophorbe verschaffeltii right out front, like it's guarding the front door. The board meeting will take place at 9:30 a.m., with self-guided tours at 10:00 a.m. until 11:30.

For the second part of the meeting, we all roar off to the home and garden of the Frey family, 1601 Via Sage, San Clemente, CA 92673, on a nice, big pie-shaped lot at the end of a cul de sac. Since we were last there in 2013, Walt has been busy upgrading the collection. The Frey garden now has 125 species of palms, 35 species of cycads, 40 different Anthuriums, 35 different orchids and 18 varieties of Ti plants. The palms include Chambeyronias, Dypsis and many more. 

POTLUCK LUNCH
We'll be having a potluck lunch with fried chicken provided. Bring your favorite dish to share. Meat, vegetables, dessert, or any combination. Make yourself, or buy and bring it - if you like it, we will too! If it's grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better. We don't care if your grandma was from Stuttgart or Shanghai. Come feast on food, and the joint joys of palms and good fellowship on a glorious summer day near the ocean.

AUCTION
There will be an auction at this meeting. Donors have a choice of donating 100% of the proceeds to the PSSC (we appreciate that!) or 50% (we appreciate that, too!) The focus is on rare palms, in 1 to 5 gallon containers, though larger ones will be accepted. Also good are nice palm-themed objects d'art, and other exotic plants, including but not limited to, bromeliads, fancy Ficus, etc. We accept credit cards, checks, and good old cash, though, due to expenses relating to credit card transactions, we greatly appreciate cash and checks, if possible.

As everyone is aware, the Covid 19 pandemic, and the forced closures of group events has hurt the PSSC's finances badly as the auction is a vital source of funding for the PSSC. The most recent auction the PSSC conducted was this past June, after a hiatus of almost 18 months since January of 2020.  Our last auction grossed $2,630, of which we netted about $1,700. We hope to do even better this time, and greatly appreciate all donations, in keeping with the guidelines below.

Since we have a limited time in which to conduct the auction, we ask that donors provide plants that will realistically sell for at least $20. Please no Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis, etc. We also appreciate liners and "freebie" plants as well for the plant raffle.Participation by donating and buying will help immensely. If you have a question about a possible donation, contact DoomsDave via PM.

Thanks to all of our donors!

ITINERARY

9:30 a.m. PSSC Board meeting at the Luna garden at 114 W. Paseo de Cristobal

10:30 a.m. Tours of the Hartman Luna Garden.

12:00 p.m. Potluck lunch at Frey Garden
1:00 p.m. general meeting at Frey Garden at 1601 Via Sage

1:30 p.m. auction

4:00 p.m. adjourn

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The Lunas’ Hyophorbe verschaffeltii is the biggest I’ve seen in Southern California.

641DA3C5-AABF-4E1D-94FF-E16B21047D1C.thumb.jpeg.bc3ebf1a387ac95d4b51e32862b46f4a.jpeg

• Like 4

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are two very awesome Gardens I was there in 2013 looking forward to this meeting if you haven't been it is definitely worth the trip there

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, akamu said:

These are two very awesome Gardens I was there in 2013 looking forward to this meeting if you haven't been it is definitely worth the trip there

I’m on the board so I’ll be there!

Maybe bring some cool plants for the auction 

Hello,

He participates on the Rick Luna Forum? Are there pictures of his garden on PalmTalk?

13 minutes ago, gerald6006 said:

Hello,

He participates on the Rick Luna Forum? Are there pictures of his garden on PalmTalk?

The picture above is one of the Lunas’ garden.

Here’s another and another.

The top picture is a New Caledonian; the bottom is Dypsis albofarinosa.

591C9544-76E1-4C9D-872F-5F27F5F89191.thumb.jpeg.36704c6883cd02b4dfefec7e9ed31355.jpeg

F5CD6B83-063B-4D8B-BE50-F1CCAEFE4519.thumb.jpeg.2eb633812a07b745619986e6d11aea94.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Roared off this morning 

So many palms so little time 

002B569F-CC22-44EF-9A0B-8934CB89B5C7.thumb.jpeg.c50c662ed10ff99896c194008896e065.jpeg

7D1F93A9-3B4E-43DF-A776-45A02FFACE02.thumb.jpeg.1117acd25aec9e3a12a13647e8f6f948.jpeg

• Like 1