IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floribunda Abundance

iDesign

1 hour ago, Billy said:

Since we live in the same area, another random question...how much sun are your Chambeyronias seeing?

Happy to chat about local conditions anytime! I'm on the border of Carlsbad/Encinitas (La Costa Valley) so not far from you. PM me if you'd like to come see my work in progress, aka yard :excl:

I'm going to keep this thread specific to my Floribunda-purchased plants, but just posted my Chambey experiences in your "Macrocarpa vs Hookeri" thread. :shaka-2:

• Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

10 hours ago, Billy said:

So many cool palms! Hopefully the cyphosperma balansae does well here...I'd love to plant one but the biggest one I can get my hands on so far is a 1 gallon. Patience is the name of the game I suppose. Have you heard of any success stories of cyphosperma doing well here in coastal North County? Good luck with all your palms, I'm sure they're loving the nice weather we've been having the last few days. 

Floribundas 1gallons are usually pretty good sized.

• Like 2

Still waiting for the second order of the year.  Been 3 weeks.   Jeff must be BUSY.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

On 4/30/2022 at 3:27 AM, PalmsandLiszt said:

That's interesting; I've had a small seedling indoors for about a year and it has been completely trouble-free and has been putting out leaves pretty quickly (for a palm). It just needs warmth and water and reasonable light. Were your seedlings/larger ones sent bare-root, by any chance? I don't know how root-sensitive Verschaffeltia is, but if they were bare-root, that would be an obvious hypothesis, particularly in the case of bigger ones dying within a week. Alternatively, I wonder if they were all exposed to fatally-low temperatures en route to you. It's quite difficult to kill a palm that quickly; if they were simply objecting to your conditions, I think they would slowly decline over a much longer period.

Germinated seeds only. No luck at all with ones already sprouted or grown 1 gallon size.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:11 PM, iDesign said:

Two more packages arrived this week, so more photos coming soon!

If you ever get the chance to visit Floribunda it's well worth it. I was lucky enough to this March while visiting my sister who lives close by.

But...make sure you touch base with Jeff and Suchin first as it's by appointment and you'll need specific directions to get to their place as it can be a bit tricky. GPS gets you close..but not exactly.

• Like 2

Just got the word...My 9 new palms arriving tomorrow while I'm out bowling.  Hope the nice UPS driver will deliver w/care over the fence.

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Birthday on Thursday....My president to ME came in today.  LOL  LOOKING GREAT with two showing red already.

Burretiokentia dumasii 1 gal
Calyptrocalyx  albertisianus(red) 1 gal
Clinostigma Savoryanum 1 gal
Dypsis  heteromorpha 1 gal
Dypsis  sp. Maroanteserta 1 gal
Hydriastele  beguinii 1 gal
Hydriastele  pinangoides 1 gal
Lytocaryum  hoehnei 1 gal
Pinanga  philippinensis

1 gal

20220517_161149.jpg

20220517_161208.jpg

20220517_161235.jpg

• Like 6

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

• 1 year later...

UPDATE TIME!

Something awesome came in the mail recently, and I'm putting together an update on ALL of my Floribunda purchases. But here's the group shots & order form...

order1.thumb.jpg.17d033f5545e1821fbc82e98dab1d94d.jpg

order2.thumb.jpg.e51f6af07630139b68b47e2629a15b3c.jpg

order3.png.a0cdb37ba3a4ac2366f5ebd3768bda7f.png

• Like 5

I also included a few palms for a fellow collector. Here's what he got...

order4.jpg.48cafc57425ecf87b1932ef83a2df65c.jpg

order4.png.f0c12506dea0971bb53dab4c6364260d.png

I took photos of the palms of his that I DON'T have photos of yet (the last three on the list),...but won't be able to update those ones over the years. Combining orders is a great way to maximize shipping costs (coincidentally, if anyone in San Diego County is placing a Floribunda order, I have a couple things I'd be happy to add from the latest list).  Always more palms on the wishlist (lol). 🙃

* My next post will be a LONG one, with all of the plants I've ordered (with updated scientific names)... along with an update on how they're doing 2 years later. Working on it now, so stay tuned!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Aloha Palms said:

About how long does it take from ordering to arriving at your location?

Depends on how busy they are. 😅

Here's the timeline on my most recent order...

June 23 = Sent in my order request (via email).
June 24 = Jeff emailed me back apologizing for a potential delay - that he's booked till mid-July (which was totally fine with me).
July 18 = Got notification via email that my order was being shipped that evening.
July 20 = Order arrived (yay!)

It sounds like the timing varies a lot depending on when the commercial nurseries place their orders. Might also get clogged up right after they release a new pricelist. Also, if you haven't ordered from Floribunda before, Jeff might want to have a quick phone chat to meet you (which is a nice personal touch).

• Upvote 1

MAJOR UPDATE POST!!!

It's now been TWO YEARS since I placed my (relatively large) Floribunda order (in July 2021), and I've placed two follow-up orders since then (in July 2022 & July 2023).

During this time, some of these palms have grown to a nice plantable size... and others - well, they're still plugging along (slowly). I'm updating this thread to share my personal experiences with growth rate, and also to help would-be Floribunda purchasers have a better idea of what their plants *might* look like (upon arrival, and a couple years later). It's my tiny contribution towards helping fellow palm collectors (my humble "pay it forward" attempt).

First I want to acknowledge how easy today's palm collectors have it compared to the palm collecting "pioneers". I sometimes think it would have been fun to have started the hobby 20 years ago (when so much discovery was happening)... but it's also so incredibly convenient to have these palms so accessible (at least at smaller sizes). I also want to thank Jeff & Suchin Marcus of Floribunda, for helping make these palms available to the palm collecting community, at very reasonable pricing. With that in intro, here's my tiny contribution to the palm collecting knowledgebase.

* Palms are listed ALPHABETICALLY, and measured from the SOIL line (not base of the pot). Note that my 2021 photos had the measuring stick in 3" increments (3", 6" ,9" etc), while later photos have it in 2" increments (2", 4", 6", etc).  As for environment - Unless otherwise specified, plants have been stored outdoors in a mostly shaded area (under a group of Phoenix roebelenii palms). Watering was via drip irrigation, with minimal human intervention other than slow-release fertilizer 3x/year. Night shots just to be different.

==========

ANTHURIUM PSEUDOSPECTABILE
I'm actually going to start out with the only one that's not a palm... but it's an option on the Floribunda list (and I love it), so here ya go.

4" (2022):
Nicely size aroids! Packed in lava rock, just like the palms. My 2022 ones thrived indoors for a year, but my husband apparently "loved them to death" - as during post-mortem I noticed they were sitting in water nearly constantly (in a pot with no drainage, watered constantly). A total bummer since they were thriving for nearly a year.

Anthuriumpseudospectabile2022.jpg.ff357426d61c27c22f55709ebd0ebdf4.jpg

4" (2023):
So I bought three more this year... and they were even bigger than the ones we killed! The roots were extremely rootbound, but I've repotted (with added moss on the upper roots) and am hoping for the best. Funny thing is that anyone I've mentioned these to always responds with "Floribunda... the palm people?" 

Anthuriumpseudospectabile2023.jpg.b94894c9288418990c289d91e64c1d97.jpg

==========

ARECA VESTARIA
Here's another one that technically shouldn't be on the list, since it needs to come inside in the winter (while young at least). We babied these guys all winter long inside the house, except for one which we left outside in our most prime spot as a test (during an abnormally cold winter no less). Yup, it died. We're still thinking we might be able to get one of these to survive outdoors when older - based on a plant in Southern CA that has survived in a spot near a house - but this one is DEFINITELY a zone push. Oh, and the comment elsewhere on the forum about bugs liking these? Yup! - Mealy bugs are especially a fan (I have to hand-clean the leaves often). Areca Vestaria is not a "low maintenance" palm by any stretch.

1G (2022):

Arecavestaria2022.jpg.5b5b0370363fd210df8c0900b4d7dedb.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

Arecavestaria2023.jpg.2bdfd45b0104f43e0974f1f2cab6a958.jpg

==========

ARECA VESTARIA RED
This one knocked my socks off out of the box, but has the same difficulty as the other Areca V type (bugs & cold sensitivity). I didn't try a red one outside in winter (yet) but suspect it would suffer the same fate as the other at this size. Both of these Areca types are going to spend winters inside until they get much larger... and until I can create a more protected area (with a way to cover the area during cold spells + dripline misters for added humidity). But they could be amazing someday! Put these in the "crazy things palm nuts try" category... they are not recommended for more "normal" collectors (unless you're fortunate enough to live in an ideal growing zone).

1G (2022):

Arecavestariared2022.jpg.0d8482d3f162521208792b702d044135.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

Arecavestariared2023.jpg.de88373aea9992a5f2c2275903ba17f4.jpg

==========

BASSELINIA PANCHERI
A zone-pushing palm for this year's order. No data yet.

1G (2023):

Basseliniapancheri2023.jpg.4793f187b9e59107378112380fd161e5.jpg

==========

BENTINCKIA CONDAPANNA
Now we're talking!!! Everyone who has even a chance of growing one of these palms should order one. Ideally two though... since I've heard they occasionally "check out early" for no apparent reason (similar to Hedyscepe). But when they take, oh my gosh are they stunning! And they're fairly fast growers as well. 

1G (2021):

Bentinckiacondapanna2021.jpg.c233c3ac0eb1dd80146d395722369fbf.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):
This is the smallest of the three I bought. The other two were planted in the ground a little over a year ago, and seem very happy in part-sun. They've sailed through an abnormally cold winter & also the heat of summer. Great palms! And very plantable within 2 years from a Floribunda 1G.

Bentinckiacondapanna2023.jpg.4f158edeb0327e4fe3d5a4e69f68d7f4.jpg

==========

BURRETIOKENTIA VIEILLARDII
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but I like the look it's taking on! The "arms" stretch further than most palms its size, so I've reorganized my palm "nursery" to give these ones a bit more room.  Height went from 28" to 38", but it's mostly expanded in girth and "arm stretch".  Gut feel is that this is going to be a very pretty palm.

1G (2021):

Burretiokentiavielillardii2021.jpg.c59f05637e39b707ebfe4e88a1bf9485.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Burretiokentiavielillardii2023.jpg.6b55c93d6399d7ed2aad14ff94ed2e88.jpg

==========

CHAMBEYRONIA HOOKERI
I already have a larger one (bought locally), but wanted another. I didn't worry about the red leaf since it's rare for a hookeri to not have a red leaf (unlike macrocarpa which is hit or miss).  No growth data yet since it's a new purchase, but it came at a fairly large size to start (40").

1G (2023):

Chambeyroniahookeri2023.thumb.jpg.42221f3e34d32133ca39d8750de55948.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS BARONII (DYPSIS)
NOTE: Most of the palms on page one of this thread were renamed from Dypsis to Chrysalidocarpus.
My Baronii haven't done a whole lot, but they're nice-looking plants.  Overall height is about the same as 2 years earlier, but a lot fuller. One thing that was VERY strange though was that two of the baronii Floribunda sent look like the photos below... and one looks like a totally different plant. It's possible it's just a different variation within the "baronii complex" - but that's a mystery for another day.

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbaronii2021.jpg.cb8fed1b496b6bd111e2a8a80fb66156.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbaronii2023.jpg.b66980e62d457656f32badcab5da8039.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS BARONII "BLACK STEM" (DYPSIS)
These aren't always on the price list (and never at a large size). I bought them as seedlings and am happy with their growth rate (I don't have the best track record with seedlings, but all of my "black stem" ones seem happy).

Seedlings (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbaroniiblackstem2021.jpg.7cee2bad1f5ec0fda6110a31db9f730b.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbaroniiblackstem2023.jpg.0b6836ec3f785a4f4121dc207c8aaccb.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS BASILONGUS (DYPSIS)
New purchase this year so no growth data. Mine came at a nice 42" height though!

1G (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbasilongus.thumb.jpg.bb3cecbbecdfe4594352b6d419a281af.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS "Bef" (DYPSIS)
NOTE: I'm listing the "unofficial" names alphabetically since I forget which ones are official vs a tradename. If the name is in quotes, it's listed on Floribunda website with a "sp." before the name. Hopefully these get an "official" name at some point.

As for our friend "Bef" - I'm embarrassed to say mine look much WORSE than when I bought it a year ago. Not my finest gardening moment on this one... unless it's perhaps doing amazing things in the root area? Time will tell (if it survives).

4" (2022):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbef2022.jpg.b4a92ac551b94318897d09ec8c4c3656.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisbef2023.jpg.d49e09f415489bbaf7e17b7f1cb7c004.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS CARLSMITHII (DYPSIS)
Doesn't look any larger, but "big boy" Dypsis (I mean Chrysalidocarpus) have a reputation for being glacially slow, so I'm not worried. This one is a backup for my larger carlsmithii (bought locally).

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsiscarlsmithii2022.jpg.227bf4cc9088e901883317fb037f1e5c.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsiscarlsmithii2023.jpg.2c1f7d221635e04a2497bd9b65c278ed.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS "DARK MEALYBUG" (DYPSIS)
Last year I purchased all the "big boy" dypsis OTHER than Dark MealyBug, and someone pointed it out. So I added it to this year's order. No info on growth rate yet since it's a new purchase. But based on what I've read, it's NOT likely to do well here. Just a (relatively) cheap experiment.

1G (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisdarkmealy2023.jpg.fe11df0933595e3716260dc34396e8f9.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS HANKONA (DYPSIS)
New purchase so no data yet. Was only available in seedling size when I bought (wish me luck).

Seedlings (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsishankona2023.jpg.f734cfec8be732d130533c62ca608002.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS HOVOMANTSINA (DYPSIS)
Another one for my "Gardener House of Shame". Which is so sad because based on photos this is one of the most beautiful "big boy dypsis" out there (at least to my eyes). If anyone gets a lead on a decent-sized one (3G+) please PM me, as I really would love to have this one in my collection someday. It's not looking good at the moment though.

4" (2022):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsishovomantsina2022.jpg.da7194967c5a69a2b2979913dd8bbefc.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsishovomantsina2023.jpg.0e4ec0335f8d67948e2f0676d764a262.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS "LAFAZAMANGA" (DYPSIS)
I'm a MAJOR fan of this palm, as the one I purchased at a larger size (locally) is one of the prettiest palms in my yard. It also seemed to handle our relatively cold winter better than lutescens, and can also take some sun. A major winner for Southern CA, and likely many other places! Unfortunately my seedlings haven't grown much (I swear, I'm terrible at seedlings). But the 4" I just got from Floribunda look like a much more manageable starting size. Give this one a try if you can!

Seedlings (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsislafamazanga2021.jpg.f3bdd4497b8dfb2a20087a83e23dcc20.jpg

4" (2023):
*different palms than the seedlings shown above.

ChrysalidocarpusDypsislafamazanga2023.jpg.871f55c2f146f2889cf6ed6fdad2e153.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS LANCEOLATA (DYPSIS)
This one is in the ground, and I unfortunately can't seem to get a good photo of it. But I can tell you it looks fabulous... and was ready for planting within a year of arrival. has beautiful shiny leaves and went from  26" to 40" height in 2 years. Wonderful palm.

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsislanceolata2021.jpg.f9d9c1c0e7d697d110f5556efc5e1cf2.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsislanceolata2023.jpg.8ff271aafb8271fb4dbac4051d95152c.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS LEPTOCHEILOS (DYPSIS)
My "Gateway" palm... the one that started this crazy obsession. I could write a paragraph about all the reasons I love this palm. I'll just say that EVERYONE that can possibly grow one should by one - or several. Mine are currently being acclimated to full sun (thus the brown tips).  Growth on mine went from 16" to 36" in 2 years (with the ones getting most sun growing the most). There is a limit to sun tolerance when young though (they're handling it much better now that they're a little older).

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisleptocheilos2021.jpg.885c1b1f2befccb9e31bfb069e5c5583.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisleptocheilos2023.jpg.16e9f736e1c276b4a46338584e37fe19.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS LEUCOMALLUS (DYPSIS)
On my "most wanted palm" list, though more of an odd addition to my collection. I love the photos I've seen of mature ones, but also recognize that it's more likely to be my daughter (a young plant lover) who would be most likely to see the mature version.  As predicted, my seedlings are stuggling... but the new 4" one I recently obtained looks better.  If you know of a larger one please PM me (could knock off a decade based on growth rate).

Seedlings (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisleucomallus2022.jpg.c1e9f7293552e43ed9f8834948e5e6fc.jpg

4" (2023):
*different palm than the seedlings shown above.

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisleucomallus2023.jpg.3e9177161ec1ad2323c2f6a088a4a85c.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS MANANJARENSIS (DYPSIS)
My large "mealy bug" palm is the jewel in my palm collection. I love it dearly, despite the incredibly-high cost (I mentally justified it with the fact that I still drive a 2010 Honda Fit - priorities!). The seedlings were much more reasonable cost-wise, but not yet all that satisfying. They're going to be amazing though... someday... many years from now. 

Seedlings (2022):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsismananjarensis2022.jpg.6fd851490f555b9fb4bfd435fa68f112.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsismananjarensis2023.jpg.a166f15105b54aa229869c629f90be51.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS ONILAHENSIS "WEEPY" (DYPSIS)
I have high hopes for this one, and so far growth has been pretty good! Went from 6" to 16" in 2 years, and has also passed the "sun torture test" I've been putting them through (which is why they're showing brown tips). Floribunda doesn't always have these in stock so get what you can, when you can (if you'd like some).

4" (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisonilahensisweepy2021.jpg.22c683ff41aaf87438f1a5319690c915.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisonilahensisweepy2023.jpg.474ee45b052c8ef2616b8c4ee1e0981e.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS "ORANGE CRUSH" (DYPSIS)
I laughed when someone on the forum described their "orange crush" palms as being "on death watch" - since mine have always looked terrible. And yet... I've also seen an AMAZING one very near to where I live. Will probably take many many years, but I'm going to reserve a place for this one and hope that when it's finally finished wallowing it the pot (working on the "heel" I presume) that it will snap out of its funk and be amazing. 

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisorangecrush2021.jpg.bc32f40f5eeae1b213a8700b15902b7e.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

The "good" one...
ChrysalidocarpusDypsisorangecrush2023.jpg.ad5d0d584f2d8299e10af96fafd9f92c.jpg

The "bad" one, including the massive "heel" it's been working on...
ChrysalidocarpusDypsisorangecrush2023b.jpg.16bec739474822885549172f7e231226.jpg

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisorangecrush2023c.jpg.5163097edd67f29d626e591ca3a829e4.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS PEMBANUS (DYPSIS)
NOTE: Name was changed from "Pembana" to "Pembanus".
Great plant, and seems to be ready to take some sun! I sun tested it when smaller and the leaves burned, but the one I have in full hot sun now is doing great! Height in 2 years whent from 23" to 50". Mine are still in pots, but very ready to be planted out.

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsispembana2021.jpg.335afaa84ea1534925d6cda6f8c6911d.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsispembana2023.jpg.851e3637ed09c2e105b8dcdf245c54a1.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS PRESTONIANUS (DYPSIS)
NOTE: Name was changed from "Prestoniana" to "Prestonianus".
Want a "Big Boy Dypsis / Chrysalidocarpus" that doesn't take decades to get large, or sulk in a pot while contemplating its "heel"? Prestonianus is the winner from everything I've heard. I've only had this guy one year, but it's already winning the "Big Boy Dypsis" race.

1G (2022):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisprestoniana2022.jpg.9ddfd6b7fe65a29e961a1cd4c248188b.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisprestoniana2023.jpg.92259415ae0e193f4a9568e613f86b62.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS PSAMMOPHILUS (DYPSIS)
New purchase, but came at a nice 27" height.

1G (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsispsammophilus2023.thumb.jpg.e4ad1a954353f8bf19aed7e46a8eeb43.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS ROBUSTA (DYPSIS)
Like most "Big Boy Dypsis" it's not a super-star, but seems to be growing at a decent rate (for its plant type).  Has grown from 3" to 8" in the year I've had it.

4" (2022):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisrobusta2022.jpg.b57ba21e52615770a10ed35a764ab4d5.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisrobusta2023.jpg.2955970489b846ed308a7fc1a39ad950.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS SAINTELUCEI (DYPSIS)
I absolutely ADORE this palm... so graceful and elegant.  It has a reputation for being "wobbly, but it's been fine in the sheltered place I've been storing it. Stunning white crownshaft... droopy fronds... what's not to love?

1G (2021):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsissaintelucei2021.jpg.6e6a2ba70fbac5724ccf2cb1f95546f7.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsissaintelucei2023.thumb.jpg.dfe89d7218c63b00bf591dbab4bb981e.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS TITAN (DYPSIS "BEJOUF")
Formerly called "Bejouf" - it now has a very cool-sounding official name.  Growth rate hasn't been bad at all, considering it started as a seedling, and I've only had it one year!

Seedlings (2022):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsistitanbejouf2022.jpg.ef092b610bff645ef1982cf5b557d29e.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusDypsistitanbejouf2023.jpg.6d084cabf167ee6bd500f22aae06a854.jpg

==========

CHRYSALIDOCARPUS RUFESCENS (DYPSIS)
NOTE: Formerly called "Dypsis heteromorphus".
New experiment for this year. Came at a respectible 22" size (not bad for a 4").

4" (2023):

ChrysalidocarpusrufescensDypsisheteromorphus2023.jpg.cac69e22ca6fd16d0741be1aa38f564d.jpg

==========

CHUNIOPHOENIX HAINANENSIS
An impulse buy on my 2021 order. In 2 years it's gone from 3 undivided leaves to 3 divided leaves ("good job lil' buddy).

4: (2021):

Chuniophoenixhainanensis2021.jpg.05120fd673334937bd6973e1f00eec40.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Chuniophoenixhainanensis2023.jpg.e543c6c9a8f5a25c9506b11a0fbc0665.jpg

==========

CLINOSTIGMA SAVORYANUM
Compare the growth rate of this palm with "chuniophoenix" above. THIS is why I created this post... so people can see what "slow" means in real time. Not to discourage... but there are massive differences in time from purchase to "ready to plant" stage between a lot of these palms. Clinostigma savoryanum has been a great palm for me, though I've been trying to figure out the "just right" amount of sun. I noticed the seedlings with more sun were growing MUCH faster than the others, but when I gave all of them a bit more sun the leaves burned. This one is an ongoing test to see what the "perfect" amount of sun is going to be. There are also massive differences in growth rate differences between the various palms in this group. Here's one of the biggest ones (went from 13" to 62" in 2 years.

4" (2021):

Clinostigmasavoryanum2021.jpg.a367b3af5def48e403a7ae3a0649dfbb.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Clinostigmasavoryanum2023.jpg.1a77cd674dd2252617f4444ddf755d25.jpg

==========

CYPHOPHOENIX NUCELE
No strong thoughts on this one yet, though I do like how it always looks "perfect" cosmetically.

4" (2021):

Cyphophoenixnucele2021.jpg.ac48d0f74299d6ceaffaca3cc03844f9.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Cyphophoenixnucele2023.jpg.4aead16f01bb1561cc995f1420bf62cd.jpg

==========

CYPHOSPERMA BALANSAE
Though it's still somewhat "squat" in height (so far), it seems fairly robust, like it could probably be planted out if I found the right spot. I really like the form on this palm (not captured well in the photo) - just feels like it's going to be really cool someday.

1G (2021):

Cyphospermabalansae2021.jpg.445852c598869fe3b13f737d223333df.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Cyphospermabalansae2023.jpg.44e5e1d0a88c2791d68b4641fa193033.jpg

==========

DYPSIS CONFUSA
Not my plant, but it was at my house when I was photographing... so I thought I'd document how it looked upon arrival.

4" (2023):

Dypsisconfusa2023.jpg.51c049caa138a75d6b82ae7df6d1b9f8.jpg

==========

DYPSIS "MAROANTSETRA"
One of my favorite palms... It grows fast, and has a "reddish" new leaf. All four of mine do this, though not at the intensity of a plant featured on this forum (hopefully the red will get more intense as they age, but I would love this plant even without the red leaf!).

4" (2023):
* New purchase... including for size comparisons.

Dypsismaroantsetra2023-4.jpg.5492fe9456fb405dd88dc509054a5aa6.jpg

1G (2021):

Dypsismaroantsetra2021.jpg.76fb4568828f616a58af9ddce3f43326.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Dypsismaroantsetra2023.thumb.jpg.1fb6dbc0436f46ab191d652cf1b1b4eb.jpg

==========

DYPSIS PROCERA
Not my plant, but it was at my house when I was photographing... so I thought I'd document how it looked upon arrival.

4" (2023):

Dypsisprocera2023.jpg.045355bd26a706ada9c5adc2d16290e2.jpg

==========

DYPSIS ROSEA
I loved my Dypsis "maroantsetra" so much I decided to purchase some "rosea" the following year, to see how they compared as far as height, form, and redness of leaf. So far they look almost identical to me, though I saw a gorgeous one in another collector's garden. Which one should you buy? Both! Seriously, you could slip one of these guys in anywhere... a beautiful and low commitment plant.

1G (2022):

Dypsisrosea2022.jpg.8b7e1f3447e29e708e97b2674698922b.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

Dypsisrosea2023.jpg.bf45e0433692bc12c595599689eb87dd.jpg

==========

EUTERPE EDULIS "ORANGE CROWNSHAFT"
They were quite "wobbly" on arrival, but are growing nicely and I definitely see the orange color! I read that these were difficult to grow here, but so far all 5 of mine seem to be thriving (though admittedly they've been kept in a fairly sheltered area to date).

1G (2021):

Euterpeedulisorangecrownshaft2021.thumb.jpg.66c0deb053b24f9936efad88aa3a070a.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Euterpeedulisorangecrownshaft2023.thumb.jpg.26421880b12819feccd31c52efcb7b7d.jpg

==========

HYOPHORBE INDICA (RED)
I've heard they lose their red color eventually, but I'm loving mine so far. And mine grew VERY quickly! In the below photo the Floribunda one is in the back, on the right (the other was puchased locally, but the Floribunda one is catching up!). I have heard that these do sometimes die for no apparent reason, so ideally get more than one. I personally think this one is worth the risk, since it's such an attractive palm.

1G (2022):

Hyophorbeindicared2022.jpg.bec25542d9dd17e5cc5d7e8147d8e73b.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

Hyophorbeindicared2023.jpg.472f788496fe43699864e4956a878cc4.jpg

==========

KERRIODOXA ELEGANS
Long-shot where I live, but had to give it a try.

4" (2022):

Kerriodoxaelegans2022.jpg.642fc2d688eb715c5c61431bd1dd5ce3.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

Kerriodoxaelegans2023.jpg.95edbb1234e0063ae20793bca1a9ff27.jpg

==========

LANONIA DASYANTHA
Not much action yet, but I've heard promising reports from others.

4" (2022):

Lanoniadasyantha2022.jpg.58619d87006b1ee95a6572af56b8527b.jpg

1 Year Later (2023):

Lanoniadasyantha2023.jpg.1da2919496ca9bedb15a35d62ab19413.jpg

==========

LICUALA DISTANS
A personal favorite of mine, and a possible "sleeper" based on photos I've seen. Mine are doing great so far!

4" (2021):

Licualadistans2021.jpg.dd68852ee9ae0b4d37a39a4d44493bc2.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Licuala distans 2023.jpg

==========

NEOVEITCHIA STORCKII

4" (2023):

Neoveitchiastorckii2023.jpg.32aa0417563ebe4368bc6f7fd2e50fb0.jpg

==========

PINANGA CORONATA
Robust and fast-growing for me! Begging to be planted.

1G (2021):

Pinangacoronata2021.jpg.367229bd88b297d9d91e65d5b1843728.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Pinangacoronata2023.jpg.eba239b6499b1933a5b3b9915734e7d6.jpg

==========

PINANGA JAVANA
I read that these are "hard" - but all five of mine have been doing very well. They were HUGE for their initial 4" containers, and kept growing.

4" (2021):

Pinangajavana2021.jpg.d390a604db7ce52a34650cbf64bc1f72.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Pinangajavana2023.jpg.4027afaac9409ecf2795eb0caf292948.jpg

==========

PINANGA "MAROON CROWNSHAFT"
A recent experiment due to my success with other Pinangas. They're seedlings though (which I'm not great at).

Seedlings (2023):

Pinangamarooncrownshaft.jpg.5596d3092a8f60f54116fceea8e8ae98.jpg

==========

PINANGA "PHILIPPINENSIS"
Nice petite palms (which I've read they'll stay). Very pretty.

1G (2021):

Pinangaphilippinensis2021.jpg.eaaa535b974013cfc26151087ddc201b.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Pinangaphilippinensis2023.jpg.f45343d2f361af8f6447fee4c9c1fa18.jpg

==========

PRITCHARDIA MARTII
I can't seem to figure out why it gets "brown tips" - on my to-do list.

4" (2021):

Pritchardiamartii2021.jpg.5a166a6019f1ee2dd6a0d2d76a95bc99.jpg

2 Years Later (2023):

Pritchardiamartii2023.jpg.c3f0d084640b723b68464aff5f52e59a.jpg

==========

VONITRA FIBROSA
New experiment this year. 

Seedlings (2023):

Vonitrafibrosa2023.jpg.a3530967d32e6cfa013df0d4e30a9103.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

@iDesign Great update and very informative. You definitely have plenty of plants to try to shoehorn in somewhere in the future. 

I know everyone says this but I have found it to be true….. some of the same plants you purchased would really benefit from being planted out. For whatever reason, they don’t like being in pots so they just stall. Not dead but not thriving either. In your/our climate, we can get away with planting out 1G plants. I personnaly shoot for a nice 2G or 3G max. 

Your garden is going to be amazing in 5yrs, even better in 10. Good job and keep up the hard work. 

-dale 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Billeb said:

I know everyone says this but I have found it to be true….. some of the same plants you purchased would really benefit from being planted out.

I absolutely agree, and am scrambling to get my yard to a point where the bigger ones can hit the dirt. I was initially assuming that my yard would be ready for planting by Spring 2023, but life got in the way. My new "line in the sand" is for the bigger ones to get in the ground by Spring 2024. Figured that since they're in pots anyway, I might as well document them for science. Though your point about them likely growing even better in the ground is very valid.

56 minutes ago, Billeb said:

You definitely have plenty of plants to try to shoehorn in somewhere in the future. 

LOL, they're not ALL going in my yard. After I have my plan finalized (hopefully by Spring 2024) I'll put my larger "extras" up for sale... though I hesitate to mention this that since last time I alluded to a possible future sale I got a lot of inquiries! First I need to finish my yard prep - then plant the larger ones in my yard. Then I'll sell a lot of the extras (though I'll undoubtedly keep a bunch of the smaller palms in hopes that some might get interesting).

Jesus H Tap-dancin’ Christ that a lot of trials going on there.  It almost inspires me to put in an order this year, though I’ve got more than I can reasonably handle these days.  Personally I’m rooting for leucomalla.  You’re going to have quite a collection in the future.  

• Like 1

Here’s a dream list I used to get from rosebud farm those where the days it was like Xmas every month buying palms with so many to choose from and the prices so cheap 

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm really excited for mine now!  I ordered every chrysalidocarpus to trial here, but like you some may go elsewhere if they seem unhappy.  Then there is the "in a pot or in the ground immediately" question, but i want a good strong plant going into a well prepared area too.  My order timing may have been spot on for the fall cooldown so they can adjust, they are doing some big orders now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, happypalms said:

Here’s a dream list I used to get from rosebud farm those where the days it was like Xmas every month buying palms with so many to choose from and the prices so cheap 

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

Ha! You get it then. You see local collectible palms selling for hundreds of $ each - then you see another list with plants for an extremely low price (as long as you're willing to wait for them to grow). As crazy as my Floribunda collection appears, the price I paid for a handful of larger palms (not shown) was the by far the bigger investment.

Interesting to see the old palm names. I wonder what Dypsis sp. 'New' ended up being. 🤔

3 hours ago, flplantguy said:

I ordered every chrysalidocarpus to trial here...

Heck yeah! A man after my own heart. 🥰

Your Chrysalidocarpus collection will be an interesting contribution to the palm knowledge-base since Dypsis / Chrysalidocarpus have traditionally not done as well in Florida... yet there have been some exciting exceptions. Feel free to add info on how they do in your area (on either this or a different thread). 

* The early palm pioneers braved the Jungles, studied the DNA, and shared their discoveries in scientific journals. The least we can do is buy stuff and share photos of how they do in our location(s). Hopefully most of the bigger ones of mine will be in the ground before the 3 year mark, but I'll undoubtedly still have lots of the smaller ones to track. Ironically the "Big Boy" Dypsis / Chrysalidocarpus plants are the ones most likely to stay in pots a while longer (despite their potential to be huge someday).

• Upvote 1

Part of it is a trial garden to see what will happen here with them.  Im convinced some will do well enough to be a resident on the botanical lifeboat, and some ill have to see from afar.  Im def going to keep a log of how it goes, its very helpful for me so im sure a bunch of people will appreciate all of our updates.

• Like 2

Wow! 

Excellent documentation Stacey!

I was looking and your "taller" orange crush appears to be "nauseosa/highland mealybug" type. It is showing the long petiole, leaves at the end characteristic I pointed out on the large one by my driveway. The grow like that from a very early age.

Generically for those following along that may have missed my longtime observations... (unless in perfect Hawaii)

Smaller, slower, NewCal type and tender palms grow best when kept in a pot until 14-18" or so.

Also, MOST heeled (I will say Chrysalidocarpus as heeled palms tend to be large) are VERY slow to develop roots. Extremely rare that they benefit from over potting. Also they should be mound planted unless you have superior draining soil.

Carry on the fantastic work!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

37 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I was looking and your "taller" orange crush appears to be "nauseosa/highland mealybug" type. It is showing the long petiole, leaves at the end characteristic I pointed out on the large one by my driveway. The grow like that from a very early age.

Seriously? I love your "nauseosa/highland mealybug" palm, but that plant looks VERY different from your "orange crush" (which I was really hoping to have in my own yard).  Are these two palms genetically related somehow? Or do you think there was a mixup of some sort at Floribunda? I guess the Ideal scenario would be if that the first "orange crush" group (in the above photo) was "nauseosa" - and the later "orange crush" palms I bought (not shown) would be a true "orange crush" - but again, not sure how that would happen (esp since I don't see "nauseosa" on the Floribunda price list). :: confused :: 

* One possible explanation I just thought of is that my two "orange crush" palms were in a pretty shady corner of the collection. I've since moved them to a placement with a little more light. Perhaps that one is an "orange crush" and was just impersonating a nauseosa because it was reaching up to try to grab some light? Just trying to think of what might be going on. 🤔

----

37 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Smaller, slower, NewCal type and tender palms grow best when kept in a pot until 14-18" or so... 

If you get a moment, would you mind looking at the photos of my plants and make a list of the ones you think are most likely to get stunted if I don't put them in the ground ASAP? When you visited my garden, your comment about my mealybug palm being "at risk" of pot-based decline was the motivation we needed to find a spot NOW. I can't get them all in the ground though, so it's more of a "triage" type of situation. Perhaps you can see some on my list that should cut to the front of the "Put me in the ground NOW" line? I'd ideally prefer to wait until Spring, but don't want to stunt my palms either. 

• Like 1

Wow! 

Excellent documentation Stacey!

Generically for those following along that may have missed my longtime observations... (unless in perfect Hawaii)

Smaller, slower, NewCal type and tender palms grow best when kept in a pot until 14-18" or so.

Also, MOST heeled (I will say Chrysalidocarpus as heeled palms tend to be large) are VERY slow to develop roots. Extremely rare that they benefit from over potting. Also they should be mound planted unless you have superior draining soil.

Carry on the fantastic work!

As for the nauseosa/hlmb.. the "mealybug" characteristic is what you look for close up. Are there little white "specks" along the petiole and base? The orange crush does not show that.. (except the pilulifera version-lol) but generally there is little to no petioles on the orange crush.

Also most "stretched/light deprived" palms will have the leaflets spread the LENGTH of the petiole. The nauseosa type has the long petiole with leaflets at the end.

As for what to plant.. not much time now, but other general things to add, if you don't easily see roots near the drain holes of a pot, they realy aren't ready to pot up OR go in the ground.  But unless you have heard they are finicky, if you have... say a decent 2 gallon or WELL rooted 1 gal, you can then plant them out. With sun, temp, soil type, planting height next in consideration. 

I guess the TL;DR version is if you know of several examples growing well locally or on the forum, plant away, they are usually forgiving. 

If you have to struggle to think who has a "nice one" ( or even "one) here or locally, practice restraint rather than exuberance.  🙂

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

7 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Can you clarify how the 14-18” is measured? In my measurements above, I measured from soil line to tallest leaf tip. Are you referring to trunk height perhaps? Curious what measurement you’re referring to.

Still confused by the “orange crush” vs “nauseosa” debate, but you would certainly be the guy to spot the difference (since you own stunning examples of both)! I’ll make sure to send updated photos when they get larger and might be easier to tell. Only thing stuck in my mind is how it could happen that Floribunda would send me a “nauseosa” instead of an “orange crush”. I’m sure mixups happen at times, but do they have a nauseosa planted nearby the orange crush? Default plan though is just to let thrm wallow in their pots for a while and check back. Ahhh, Dypsis (I mean Crysalidocarpus) mysteries.

EDIT: Looks like Floribunda did have "nauseosa" for sale at one point, based on this URL I just found in a Google search....
https://www.floribunda.xyz/dypnau/

There's also a different "nauseosa" referenced in this video tour (at 40:30 mark), though comments say that one is now described as "mijoroana"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIu22rB-f60

I'll probably just let 'em simmer for a while (and watch to see if they look different from my newer "orange crush" group). I'm hesitant to plant them until I know for sure what they are... though not an issue as those ones aren't anywhere near planting size yet anyway.  🌱

Thanks again for the expert input!!!

• Like 1

@iDesign great photos and before/after documentation!  I always try to take a photo when anything arrives, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.  But I do take pictures of everything that gets planted, so I can see where it started.  One of the unusual ones you have is Clinostigma Savoryanum.  I considered that one because I like the "weeping" Dypsis Onilahensis look.  Onilahensis has been a dud for me, growing well but getting torched and dying after only 28F.  I was put off by the report from Leu Gardens of taking a whopping 8 years to go from 2 to 8 feet tall.  But it's also in (I think) full shade so that might explain the 6" per year growth rate.  I've put that one on my list for my next order!

I planted a couple of Floribunda 1g Cyphophoenix Nucele and Elegans this summer.  My 1g are about the size of your 2023 photos, and went into full sun (Elegans) and ~50% sun (Nucele) and both are doing well so far!

Dypsis Rosea did really well for me here, and Maraoansetra is on my list too.  One of the Rosea died after 28F and frost, but the other was about 6' away and under canopy...and was totally okay.  Considering the fast growth rate I'll have to be careful where I plant it, so it doesn't just grow up into full sun and die...  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I really hope they all can get potted up over a few years at least for observations first, but if not i am also highly interested in learning which ones are a must for planting immediately.  They all look pretty happy out of the box too, im just hoping mine arrive at a time when its not roasting in the sun or im home.

• Like 1

I think I had started a nice response and then a message came in to check and I lost it all yesterday...  :(

On that nauseosa, if you could take a close up pic it should have a lot of white "specks" on the petiole and petiole base.. like white sugar ants.  If it is, you have a happy accident.  Although they are a bit harder to get to size than an orange crush..

As far as the which to plant now,  Mostly judge by roots in the pot. if you are starting to see lots of roots at the drain holes. They either need a pot up or the ground. If the pot is less than 5 gal, the default is almost to just pot up.. at the bigger sizes the ground option begs heavy consideration.

Also, for some reason, I noticed my old signature was not being shown anymore. I found most of it and added a bit at the end I had before also.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

On that nauseosa, if you could take a close up pic it should have a lot of white "specks" on the petiole and petiole base.. like white sugar ants.  If it is, you have a happy accident.  Although they are a bit harder to get to size than an orange crush...

Here are photos of the plant that came as "orange crush" which looks more like "nauseosa"...

crush1.thumb.jpeg.1be55de20cedc73261c5fd7a653c9f4e.jpeg

crush2.thumb.jpeg.5f16c36ed09920aebda9db33c822b565.jpeg

crush3.thumb.jpeg.37fc7173e774fc88e7b89beadd2a65c9.jpeg

Just for fun, here's the "Mystery Big Boy Dypsis" plant I picked up from a local vendor (likely of Floribunda origin), which I was thinking *might* be an "Orange Crush" (but tag had been lost)...

dypsis1.thumb.jpeg.6faf124bdbd69cf45bb416cc8147b77c.jpeg

dypsis2.thumb.jpeg.c3333ad3ee5ed45543ffc583014e7972.jpeg

And last of my "mysteries" is this plant that came from Floribunda labeled as "Baronii" - but didn't look AT ALL like the other two Baronii. I thought it might be an upright Onilahensis... but the leaves "fried" quickly in my sun tolerance test (it should have more leaves than it does now... since I fried a few). Any ideas on this one? Probably just a variation in the "Baronii Complex", but it looks different enough I wasn't sure.

mystery1.thumb.jpeg.ff77b1a28b012200603a2d037ae35926.jpeg

mystery2.thumb.jpeg.8a1fc6f87bc5efe783a95ceb0b263b4f.jpeg

So those are my three "Dypsis Mystery Plants"  

Grateful thanks to anyone who can ID any of these three "mystery" plants. Otherwise I'll just recheck when they're larger. 🌱

• Upvote 1

Well, a better pic so I don't think nauseosa. I think it may be a orange crush variety and looks pretty cool!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iDesign said:

crush1.thumb.jpeg.1be55de20cedc73261c5fd7a653c9f4e.jpeg

crush3.thumb.jpeg.37fc7173e774fc88e7b89beadd2a65c9.jpeg

5 hours ago, iDesign said:

dypsis1.thumb.jpeg.6faf124bdbd69cf45bb416cc8147b77c.jpeg

dypsis2.thumb.jpeg.c3333ad3ee5ed45543ffc583014e7972.jpeg

This looks like the orange crush that I got from Floribunda a couple years ago (except more green).  Mine were not happy here with me in the summer heat and mush.  I gave up on them after a couple of miserable years.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

This looks like the orange crush that I got from Floribunda a couple years ago (except more green).  Mine were not happy here with me in the summer heat and mush.  I gave up on them after a couple of miserable years.  

Too late for me! Most of my small plants are in the "I'll be pleasantly surprised if this grows" category... but "orange crush" is officially in the "must have" category, meaning that I'll keep buying it until I have success (even if it takes many years).

My physical eyes might see this:

ChrysalidocarpusDypsisorangecrush2023b.jpg.16bec739474822885549172f7e231226.jpg.72920856cf4c647bda2659bd7befbbd4.jpg

But my brain changes it to this:

crush-hearts.jpg.f38fcfaefe2acbe3abdcea84af1efc7d.jpg

CREDIT: This is @BS Man about Palms's "orange crush"... with a little artistic license on my end. After you see a beautiful specimen of a palm locally it's much easier to picture it in your own yard. 😍

• Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, iDesign said:

And last of my "mysteries" is this plant that came from Floribunda labeled as "Baronii" - but didn't look AT ALL like the other two Baronii. I thought it might be an upright Onilahensis... but the leaves "fried" quickly in my sun tolerance test (it should have more leaves than it does now... since I fried a few). Any ideas on this one? Probably just a variation in the "Baronii Complex", but it looks different enough I wasn't sure.

mystery1.thumb.jpeg.ff77b1a28b012200603a2d037ae35926.jpeg

mystery2.thumb.jpeg.8a1fc6f87bc5efe783a95ceb0b263b4f.jpeg

So those are my three "Dypsis Mystery Plants"  

Grateful thanks to anyone who can ID any of these three "mystery" plants. Otherwise I'll just recheck when they're larger. 🌱

That one looks very similar to my upright onilahensis I got from Ron Lawyer. If it is, I’m surprised it would burn in the sun. I will post a picture of mine tomorrow.

• Like 1

Great collection!!! Love Flouibunda I’m also lousy with seedlings so when I make my order I look down the list of 1gal then I check to see if it might grow here, I have to want something REALLY bad to buy something smaller than a 1gal!!

• Like 1