IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal causiarum

ahosey01

I bought a 5g one of these from Jungle Music last winter... thing is a slug.  Growth point is still under ground, way too small to have a trunk.  Color and form is great, so I assume it's happy in its spot.  But the one thing that is driving me crazy...it's opened only one new leaf all summer!  When do these things start to pick up?  I have cacti that grow faster than this thing.

• Like 1

When did you plant it out? I find Sabals sit there for a year or two, I’m assuming working on their roots. In my cooler climate my causiarums were Planted out in April 2020. This year they are already working on their third frond of the year. I’m sure yours will speed up shortly once they become properly acclimatized.  If you want to talk slow try a Sabal uresana. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sabal uresana and especially sabal birmingham have been slow for me.  

So for me in AZ, I have all three Sabals so far mentioned in this thread.  In my climate, uresana is the fastest by far.  I have three new leaves this summer.  Birmingham is the slowest - but that was expected.  But I always thought causiarum was fast for a Sabal.  Which is like saying “fast for a sloth” lol… still shocked at its sluggish tendencies.  Oh well… it’ll have 10 ft petioles when my youngest is in college!

You are running into a desert stressed condition with your causiarum.  Of course uresana is the best, waxy leaves mean less heat producing sunlight absorbed and they are afterall from the sonoran desert just south of you.  IF you want to speed up your sabal put shade netting over it for a year or two so it can work on its roots while not dealing with heat/dessication stress.  Also make sure it gets watered deeply.  Sabals do work on roots first for a few years.  But if the leaves are losing water faster than roots are taking it up, growth will be stunted from oxidative stress.  The only small palms I didnt shade net for 1-2 years were desert adapted palms like phoenix, bismarckia, brahea armata.   Even livistona rigida was burned and shade netting allowed for a dramatic recovery in 1 year to 2-3x size.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I've read that Sabals should be planted with the "heel" above ground. The curved saxophone looking part of the root system should not be covered with soil. 

13 hours ago, howfam said:

I've read that Sabals should be planted with the "heel" above ground. The curved saxophone looking part of the root system should not be covered with soil. 

This is the rule I've followed as well.  Mine also followed the "sleep, creep, leap" sang. Give it some time. They are worth the wait. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

My Causiarum seedlings from Josh-O have been relatively quick growers in pots and in the ground.  I planted one as a strap leaf in December 2019 (with the heel above ground) and it has grown steadily ever since.  It isn't a rocket like my Dypsis Pembana or Caryota Mitis, but I planted it very small.  

On 7/19/2021 at 9:43 AM, sonoranfans said:

You are running into a desert stressed condition with your causiarum.  Of course uresana is the best, waxy leaves mean less heat producing sunlight absorbed and they are afterall from the sonoran desert just south of you.  IF you want to speed up your sabal put shade netting over it for a year or two so it can work on its roots while not dealing with heat/dessication stress.  Also make sure it gets watered deeply.  Sabals do work on roots first for a few years.  But if the leaves are losing water faster than roots are taking it up, growth will be stunted from oxidative stress.  The only small palms I didnt shade net for 1-2 years were desert adapted palms like phoenix, bismarckia, brahea armata.   Even livistona rigida was burned and shade netting allowed for a dramatic recovery in 1 year to 2-3x size.

How long you leave the shade netting on for typically?

On 7/19/2021 at 12:07 AM, ahosey01 said:

Oh well… it’ll have 10 ft petioles when my youngest is in college!

What kind of water regimen is it on. Other then getting the palm from @Phil if it's that slow hoping it wasnt mixed up with a much slower sabal maybe even a Palmetto. Whatever sabal species it is,  should still be putting out many fronds this time of the year. My Causiarum in a pot albeit too small for it, puts out many leafs. 

T J 

T J 

29 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What kind of water regimen is it on. Other then getting the palm from @Phil if it's that slow hoping it wasnt mixed up with a much slower sabal maybe even a Palmetto. Whatever sabal species it is,  should still be putting out many fronds this time of the year. My Causiarum in a pot albeit too small for it, puts out many leafs. 

T J 

It’s in a sandy well-draining soil with mulch over top getting drip of 2 2gph drippers 3x a week for 8 hours each time.  So like 32 gallons 3x a week.

Man I think @sonoranfans might be spot on then. It's just not a happy desert palm yet. Sounds like it's getting plenty of water. 

T J 

T J 

13 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

How long you leave the shade netting on for typically?

I would leave it on at least this summer and next then see how it looks.  When it starts growing notably faster up top, the roots are probably established.   In any even take the netting off in the fall when you do so it wont get shocked.  In arizona ANY palm gets enough sun through shade netting, highest PAR in the nation due to lack of humidity.  Typically shade netting drops intensity by 40%.   Its a severe climate, the plants energy needs to be on growing those roots, not fighting heat stress.  When plants overheat the oxidative stress can stunt them and also weaken their immune system.   5 gallon is a small size to plant there if the palm is not a true desert palm.  Causiarum is a tropical carribean palm, let it grow in before it faces that horrid sun.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Me serving as scale among Sabal specimens.  They still do not have an obvious trunk.

PS

I do not take a leak, just hose watering those water hogs.

FB_IMG_1626971136361.jpg.c074e7a4d5e17e02ee676629c5984a12.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1