IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oregon Wildfires

Chester B

We already have a number of fires burning in the state well ahead of schedule.  The ice storm we had destroyed and damaged many trees, and then dry hot spring made things worse by drying out damaged wood and killing trees.  All around here people are trying to clear out the dead brush, but the tree companies have been working overtime since mid February.  I had a fire a few miles from my house the other day in Oregon City, but fortunately they were able to put that one out even though it was on a steep hillside.  

The most infamous fire, but not the only large one currently burning is the Bootleg fire.  Still growing and causing major issues.  It has gotten so big it is creating pyrocumulus clouds now and the perimeter is now over 200 miles in length.  There are about 2000 people battling the blaze as we speak.

One frightening statistic is that Oregon has seen 22 Megafires (over 100,000 acres), but since September 2020 there have been 6 already.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This has been on the news over here and it’s very concerning. The whole west coast of the North American continent is basically in disaster mode. Canada getting boiled and burnt with record heat. Oregon dry as a chip and burning, California also drought declared and burning. Death Valley getting more deadly. 

I hope you get some cold fronts and steady rain to drop the temp and snuff the flames out, but without any dry lightening. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, Tyrone said:

This has been on the news over here and it’s very concerning. The whole west coast of the North American continent is basically in disaster mode. Canada getting boiled and burnt with record heat. Oregon dry as a chip and burning, California also drought declared and burning. Death Valley getting more deadly. 

I hope you get some cold fronts and steady rain to drop the temp and snuff the flames out, but without any dry lightening. 

Thanks but I won’t hold my breath for rain until at least September. August is usually rain free. Generally sometime in October is when we really start to get some decent rain. Fortunately we’ve had very seasonable weather with cool nights and daytime highs around 85F. 

3/4 of our fires are started by humans they say. 

• Like 1

My mother in Ashland is plagued by the fires, or at least the endless smoke, for months every year. She keeps threatening to move to the coast, which is what I would do, but then again she has all those palms I planted in 2008!

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Just heard in the radio news here that a bunch of fire fighters from Western Australia are heading over to north America to help fight the bushfires over there.

• Like 3

Wow it’s  the first I’ve heard of it.  Scary stuff for sure. 

• Like 1