IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ueban Heat islands

Ed in Houston

Climate Central released a report on Wednesday, July 14, detailing how the group's scientists and researchers created an index to evaluate the intensity of urban heat islands and then applied it to 159 cities across the nation. In the top five, New Orleans, Newark, New York City, Houston, and San Francisco scored as having the most intense urban heat islands, ranging from 7 to 9 degrees Fahrenheit higher on average.

glo-urban-heat-island-effect?wid=1280

imgpsh_mobile_save-4-2.jpg?w=632

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/how-these-5-cities-became-the-most-intense-urban-heat-islands/981815

Ed in Houston

Edited by Ed in Houston

I would have thought that NYC would be well on top, due to the sheer size of the city and it's population density. I find it hard to believe that New Orleans and Newark would have greater UHI influences. I would also expect somewhere like NYC to have an UHI influence of at least 10F, similar to London. Both NYC and London have city populations of around 9 million, although NYC has an even bigger metropolitan region of 20 million, compared to London's 18 million. So I'm not sure how the Big Apple's UHI can be 3F lower than London's. They have to be understating it, surely.

I'm also surprised that a city the size of Los Angeles doesn't make the top 5. You would think that NYC and LA would be leading the UHI figures by a long way, given their mammoth populations and concrete jungles. The same can be said for Chicago as well. I have to say that I am slightly sceptical of the findings. New Orleans having a 2F greater UHI than NYC is like saying that Portsmouth's UHI is 2F warmer than London's. That's just impossible. Perhaps there's more to it, but I am sceptical of those results.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I think there’s just more to it. Physical geography and the overall climate are factors, and some of these cities have very varied physical geography and topography in particular.

Urban structure, for lack of a better word, is significant. Los Angeles is broadly speaking an enormous city of detached houses spread over many miles, whereas those mentioned often include much more high density housing. The outlier is Houston, but it is truly enormous and in a very different climate from LA.

• Upvote 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

• 1 month later...

UK_Palms,  I am not that far from Newark as the crow flies as they say, but I am always amazed by the elevated temps in Newark compared to my own "green" zone of vegetation.  Betting that there is more green in NYC than Newark as well.  All I know is that the crazy hot, summer high max and max. min temps always seem to be in Newark.  Urban planning needs to include more green space to mitigate this very real phenomenon. 

Edited by oasis371
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 1:03 PM, oasis371 said:

Urban planning needs to include more green space to mitigate this very real phenomenon. 

Couldn't agree more..  ..and by green space, i don't include " lets build more Golf courses " That's the last thing green space areas should be used for,  esp. here in the desert / 80+% of the Western U.S.  lol..   

Here in the desert, while all areas are warming steadily ( doubters can look up all sorts of valid info on the subject on their own ),  UHE effect is definitely real.  It surprised me that, for example, the roof on the house i lived in  in Bradenton ( FL ) was sealed w/ a white, reflective coating.. yet here, you don't see much of that, not yet anyway..  Tide is starting to turn on the " adjusting for UHE / Climate Change " challenges..

More and more people are demanding that much more be done to address such issues..  and voting out anyone / everyone who ignores the obvious ..or feels tackling such issue(s) are too expensive..  

Houston's heat island on display tonight with the first "real cold front" 

62-63F in downtown Houston and the SW 610 Loop Area vs 55F in Sugar Land

721879213_houstonheatisland.JPG.8384da9495807e3f70872ccfa9191b94.JPG

Near 20 degree spread in the Houston Metro Area from 50F in Conroe to 68-69F in Galveston, also notice Houston's wider heat island effect

358992390_houstonheatisland2.thumb.JPG.84987ae102ea338aeac958a52c23c411.JPG

Central Houston is currently warmer than ALL OF INLAND TEXAS except for Laredo's own heat island and McAllen-Brownsville 

600127505_houstonheatisland3.JPG.0d58d4982d145fe14287c789e9c6cfa5.JPG

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 1 month later...

Saw this post from the NOAA. Figured i'd pass it along to those who might be interested here:

• Upvote 1