IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Warm vs Cold Water

ZPalms

I always spend a good 20 mins watering all my plants with a watering can with warm water because from what I've seen plants seem to like that more than cold water because it can shock them or slow growth? What does everyone else do to water their plants because we have filtered well water and it's freezing cold to water my plants with so I tend to not use that even though it would be more convenient.

I've got a filter in my kitchen sink. I fill up an old gallon jug with coldish filtered tap water and that's that. It's not super cold but it's not warm either. 

• Like 1

Not much of a problem for me here - in summer here the cold water comes out hot!  One thing you can try is filling a bucket a day or two before you plan to water and keep it outside in the shade until you are ready to water.  I don't think the water temperature makes that much difference though as long as it's not extreme one way or the other.  In fall or spring you could let it sit inside the house to warm to room temperature.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

My water is freezing cold year around from the hose except when it first comes out on a hot day but It's not too much of a big deal I just wish I could get warm water from the hose from the inside facet but I fill my watering can in the laundry tub which is near the backdoor where all my palms are so it's not too much of a big deal

In winter do not water your tropical plants, i.e., coconut, with water direct from a cold water tap. It will be too cold. Let it warm up indoors. In summer you don't have to worry in NC.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 4 months later...

Since I was little, I always thought you can only water plants with warm water, and it seemed odd to me when people said that's not how you do it. My grandma taught me that flowers like warm water more than the cold one, so I never did it otherwise. When I didn't have warm water for a week because of some technical problems, I was only able to give my plates the cold one, and I observed some minor changes that I think would have gotten worse if I continued to do so. Good thing I got in touch with an expert that helped me restore the water damage at the right time.

Edited by tugwelldean

In nature, plants receive rain of about the ambient air temperature. I simply try to ensure water is around the same temperature as the roots are. Roots can be shocked by sudden changes in temperature in either direction. I just fill the watering can in advance of need and keep it near the plants. If I run out, I use the mixer tap, but never more than luke-warm, or whatever I judge the air temperature to be.