Allen

7A Mule progress over years

Allen

Progress of the 7A mule.   Pretty happy with how it is doing so far.  In winter it took some frond spotty damage but outgrew it by now.  It went thru 9F in protection.  

IMG_0239.thumb.JPG.52345241e61d2d7a1eeec7b9664a96d0.JPG

5D3_8667.thumb.jpg.b7a85ab63bab5186c90b60007b607d8c.jpg

IMG_1946.thumb.JPG.28139662b7261795ed6dfcccfad491bb.JPG

mule-2021.thumb.jpg.cc1efbab154c438944a201a9221835b7.jpg

2021 Getting fat trunk

mule-2021-2.thumb.jpg.011f440e33e54f7e8c5667098f7eafd2.jpg

Protection Method 2020

pic8.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 4

DAVEinMB

@Allen you already have something pretty special going on but keep that thing alive a few more years and you'll be talkin Tennessee plant folklore type situation :D

• Like 3

Allen
33 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Allen you already have something pretty special going on but keep that thing alive a few more years and you'll be talkin Tennessee plant folklore type situation :D

Well the Waggie palm in the pot in the next to the last photo is the backup.  B)

• Like 2

teddytn

@Allen About the third time I’ve had to tip my hat to you! That makes me realize I haven’t scratched the surface yet. #palmlord

• Like 1

Chad king NC

Love it, just wish I had saved a nice spot against the house for of my own.

• Like 2

Keys6505

Nice work!  Do you wrap/unwrap based on weather or keep it bundled up all winter?

• Like 1

N8ALLRIGHT

ZONE PUSH! Wow they need a salute emoji, that thing in zone 7, well done:greenthumb:

• Like 1

Allen
3 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Nice work!  Do you wrap/unwrap based on weather or keep it bundled up all winter?

It had to be covered about 4 times last winter for a total of around 7-10 days, 2-3 days at a time.  Lights stay on it I just unzip this cover.  As it grows the trunk will get wrapped up and the cover will move up till it's too big to cover or it dies.  

N8ALLRIGHT

Gotta ask, where did you get the palm jacket? It looks like a modeling clay water tower :) Was it designed for plants or is it repurposed? I'm in zone 6 and have a takil in the ground,plan on heating cables or Christmas lights and that jacket looks like what I need to complete it. To be fair it's only a 5 gallon I got from Phil at jungle music but hopefully in a couple years I could use one that size

Allen
6 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Gotta ask, where did you get the palm jacket? It looks like a modeling clay water tower :) Was it designed for plants or is it repurposed? I'm in zone 6 and have a takil in the ground,plan on heating cables or Christmas lights and that jacket looks like what I need to complete it. To be fair it's only a 5 gallon I got from Phil at jungle music but hopefully in a couple years I could use one that size

It's a patio heater cover.  Look on Amazon.  but for long term in zone 6 I'd recommend the box method for you.  The covers can hold moisture if you're not careful.

Allen

Newest update photo.  It has grown about 2' of trunk this summer and is around 12' tall OA.  

mule-oct2021.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2