Billy

Solid Beccariophoenix alfredii in Oceanside

Billy

Does anyone know the palmaholic who planted this beautiful selection of palms on College blvd in Oceanside? Couldn’t stop myself from doing a little photo shoot with the B.alfredii… figured I’d throw in a few photos of my 15g Alfrediis as well I’m so stoked on them! 

D03722F6-71FB-48A5-8BF1-695C0C5E2FFD.jpeg

F8BF9E3D-C500-4CC9-A80F-2DF51C3D04BE.jpeg

7E616C6E-F23C-4D08-A814-9F226ED9E631.jpeg

4726C52A-738F-4BE9-91D9-6BE2C4AEDCB8.jpeg

08F433C9-F0E2-4ABD-94E9-EE1912A294E3.jpeg

24DBB220-6C32-4A4C-99F6-1FFD14B23455.jpeg

6FC0D6EF-C540-426B-84FD-0918124C79CB.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Fusca

They are awesome palms!  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

ZPalms

Oh wow, what's the cold hardiness on these?

Billy

I've seen a bit of going back and forth as far as reaching consensus of the hardiness of these palms. I know they're a super easy grow here in southern California (they explode in Florida and Hawai'i) and there's some growing as far north as Modesto.  Sounds like they can take down to upper or mid twenties and they become more hardy with maturity. Super cold hardy for how tropical they look that's for sure. Here's a couple forums you can check out...

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52974-beccariophoenix-alfredii-cold-hardiness/

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/8924-beccariophoenix-alfredii/

• Like 1

ZPalms
2 hours ago, Billy said:

I've seen a bit of going back and forth as far as reaching consensus of the hardiness of these palms. I know they're a super easy grow here in southern California (they explode in Florida and Hawai'i) and there's some growing as far north as Modesto.  Sounds like they can take down to upper or mid twenties and they become more hardy with maturity. Super cold hardy for how tropical they look that's for sure. Here's a couple forums you can check out...

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52974-beccariophoenix-alfredii-cold-hardiness/

Thank you! Gonna check these links out, I would like to maybe try zone pushing with one of these just for fun

Matt N- Dallas
10 hours ago, Billy said:

Im not sure what their cold hardiness limit is as several factors come into play such as duration, precipitation, etc.  I had 5 growing in Harlingen, TX z9b (Rio Grande Valley) that all died after the historic Feb freeze with a low of 22*.  They ranged in size from 7g to 25g plants.  

• Upvote 1

Billy

Sorry to hear about your Alfredii Doesn’t surprise me as I’ve even seen some defoliation on one of my triple A. Cunninghamianas here at the coast a few winters ago. From what I’ve read the Alfrediis could take upper 20’s for a few hours and still survive but wouldn’t look as good. I’m the wrong one to ask though as it never gets that cold here 

Meangreen94z

I had a small one that burned completely in frost at 33*F in a container. It never came back. If you’re  zone 8A don’t waste your money 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ZPalms
3 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I had a small one that burned completely in frost at 33*F in a container. It never came back. If you’re  zone 8A don’t waste your money 

Has any bigger been recorded in 8A? or is this palm sitting on the same line as a coconut of being very sensitive to 8A winters? I was actually fixing to buy some seeds but I guess I'm not anymore thanks for the heads up! Would hate to get some grown just to die off in 14 degrees at night but I could bring it in during cold nights but eventually long term wouldn't cut it

Edited by ZPalms

Meangreen94z

Yeah these might be hardy to 23*F in a dry climate with no frost. I think in the Eastern half of the U.S. it’s probably 25-26*F in wet cold. They are not that hardy. I’ve heard that repeatedly after I got burned. Don’t waste your time unless it’s going to be a temporary indoor palm. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

necturus

Mine in the ground were unfazed by same winters @Meangreen94z describes. Probably saw 30. A few had overhead protection, but the biggest one was exposed but near the north side of my house.

I left one out, covered with a blanket, for the Texas winter storm. It's dead. I previously thought we could grow these like Walt's coconut, wrapped up and heated for the big bad freezes. Now knowing our grid isn't worth a flip, it's not worth it unless you have a generator... and even then, probably not.

• Upvote 1

Meangreen94z

It was burned by a frost when I first moved to Leander, North of Austin, they are definitely way more heavy than equivalent temperatures where I was at in Clearlake(South of Houston). Pretty much every morning below 40*F was guaranteed to have some level of frost on the ground, despite being above freezing. And that was 80% of the time from December to February. 

Im sure larger palms and in the ground would significantly help.

PalmatierMeg

I have read B. alfredii is hardy down to the mid-20s - 25F sticks in my mind. In low humidity areas, i.e., AZ & CA possibly low 20s. They should be bulletproof to cold in Cape Coral. My lowest low was 28.5F. I lost my 2nd largest alfredii to the cat3/4 winds of Irma in 2017. The wind tore the trunk off the basal plate. No coming back from that. In high winds this is a very top heavy and unstable palm.

• Upvote 1

Josue Diaz

Those are sweet pics! thanks for sharing. 

As far as hardiness goes, in a dry zone 9b they have been unfazed by low 30s and light frost (save for spotting on older leaves). Here's my largest one in the ground, going on 3 or 4 winters now in Fresno. Highest fronds getting to about 6 feet high

20210609_213429.thumb.jpg.ce450e1fe58e62c4ea8c94c7f7c4c07d.jpg

20210622_200342.thumb.jpg.12dbd19b43daf853dce1f79a858f59a9.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tropicdoc
23 hours ago, necturus said:

Mine in the ground were unfazed by same winters @Meangreen94z describes. Probably saw 30. A few had overhead protection, but the biggest one was exposed but near the north side of my house.

I left one out, covered with a blanket, for the Texas winter storm. It's dead. I previously thought we could grow these like Walt's coconut, wrapped up and heated for the big bad freezes. Now knowing our grid isn't worth a flip, it's not worth it unless you have a generator... and even then, probably not.

Yeah I was planning the Walt thing for mine. Problem is they get HUGE! Well, mine are still alive after 21F but they dont look too good. And they dont grow out of damage in 1 summer like say a queen would. They are pretty slow.

Billy
On 7/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, Josue Diaz said:

Those are sweet pics! thanks for sharing. 

As far as hardiness goes, in a dry zone 9b they have been unfazed by low 30s and light frost (save for spotting on older leaves). Here's my largest one in the ground, going on 3 or 4 winters now in Fresno. Highest fronds getting to about 6 feet high

20210609_213429.thumb.jpg.ce450e1fe58e62c4ea8c94c7f7c4c07d.jpg

20210622_200342.thumb.jpg.12dbd19b43daf853dce1f79a858f59a9.jpg

Wow looks like your garden has exploded over the years! I remember seeing photos from years ago in the forums. Cool to see the before and after pics! My alfrediis have only been in the ground for a little over a year and they've responded nicely to full sun here at the coast and the deep slow trickle soaks I've been giving them quite frequently.  Definitely enjoying them everyday and looking forward to the years ahead! 

GottmitAlex
On 7/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, ZPalms said:

Oh wow, what's the cold hardiness on these?

California/AZ(dry 9a) and LA/FL (humid 9B)

• Upvote 1

Tropicdoc

Slow. First proper fronds of the summer on my 2 

A28482AA-E94B-4929-8DCA-449DE60F3813.jpeg

71695D44-6056-4308-99FE-4417F4E14D99.jpeg

• Like 1

el-blanco

Mine in Dana Point.  10’ overall from a nice 15 gallon 3-4 years ago.8E3C552D-5C4F-4256-A616-03E2B68399CE.jpeg

D06DFE43-5CB6-4E69-9296-0FD6785FD315.jpeg

Edited by el-blanco
  • Like 2

Billy

Looks insane! I love the bromeliad, coleus, cannas, alocasia ground cover! 

• Like 1

el-blanco
1 hour ago, Billy said:

Looks insane! I love the bromeliad, coleus, cannas, alocasia ground cover! 

Billy, Come by and grab some bulbs, cuttings, and off shoots!

• Like 1