IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please help!!!! Licuala fronds are very yellow

Palmistry

Hi!! 

thank you for reading!! I really love this palm and am hoping to save it!

My licuala fronds have been dramatically yellowing over the past 2 months and I was hoping it would be a minor issue that would resolve, but it seems to be getting worse. Below are possible culprits:

1) the yellowing started after a 1 tsp application of sulpomag. I have not applied the sulpomag since. This was in mid may

2) overexposure to the air conditioner: i left the palm in my room for a few nights with the air conditioner running. I realize this probably wasn’t the best move, and have stopped since. Not sure if that was the cause.

3) humidity! I live in NY and it’s been very humid here. I don’t turn on my AC during the day, and at night my palms are in another room so they are not affected by the AC. I am wondering if it’s too much humidity?

4) overwatering: it seems the yellowing picks up around when it’s supposed to be watered, so I am thinking it’s either dehydrated or overwatered?

CF6BD53F-1807-4D16-AA7C-C0AB7BC66FED.jpeg

3A79980B-11F1-412E-95A9-30138421A203.jpeg

E48BC6A2-979E-494B-8CE5-0D745C133012.jpeg

Why is it sitting in a dark room? I can hardly see the pictures. The leaf could be yellowing for several reasons:

1. It is the oldest leaf and the palm is withdrawing nutrients before discarding it.

2. The palm doesn't get enough light and is slowly dying.

3. You overwater it, let it sit in a tray of water, have dense poor-draining soil or a combination.

4. Because of #3 the roots are rotting.

5. Your northern home is too cold, too dry and/or too dark

6. Have you checked for spider mites?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I’m thinking a root issue. Also with it being in a darker area it’s not getting the light and heat to help it do it’s thing