IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Discount Pygmy Palm w/ a side of biting ants?

Tilly

We are new to potted Palms as we have focused on organic gardening in the yard up until now. We put in a hot tub and added some potted palms for ambiance. Suddenly all of us, especially me, are getting bitten a lot by something. Based upon anecdotal bites happening when seeing an ant on one of us and confirming what an ant bite looks like online, we are confident these are some sort of ant. I noticed tiny ants in the area (abnormally small for the typical ant around here in SoCal) and also flying ants here and there. The only thing I can think of is these ants appeared after we brought home the clearance Pygmy palm from Lowe’s (it was in mediocre shape and I’ve brought it back to being fuller and greener). Could that be the case? I’m hesitant to go poking around in the potted palms out of fear of more bites! Any ideas? 

Ants love water....

so do palms!

So it should be no surprise to anyone that they like the same environment. Its very likely the mediocre shape of the palm you purchased was caused by the ants themselves. 

Ants like to burrow and make homes under palm tree root balls. It usually isn't a problem. But when they make a huge colony they can aerate the roots of the palm. Exposing them to too much air and not enough water and nutrients get to the palm. I used basic ant stakes i found at a big box store to help remove the ants. other option is to wear protective gear and remove the palm from the pot and see if there is a colony in the palm. them wash it off with a hose. spray the ants with the chemical of your choosing and replant the palm with fresh dirt.  I actually lost a palm to ants this way. it was planted in the soil though. your lucky yours is in a pot. 

Happy pest control palm saving!

Edited by EJ;)

I once made a dip of soapy water meant for dogs and cats, I soaked the plants in it for an hour, that fixed them.

That was years ago, I actually forget what the insects or plants were, but it worked at the time.

The pots were immersed to the rim.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

If the ants like sugar (as opposed to the grease types) just get Combat gel, or Terro ant liquid.  They will feast on it, take it to the queen, and that will be the end of the colony in a couple days.  Every potted palm here comes with a colony of 1000s of ants, and sometimes a weird worm-like snake (Brahminy Blindsnake) too, that feeds only on ant larva….

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-snake-id/snake/brahminy-blindsnake/