IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The ABC's of Palms (from A to Z)

Fusca

After looking at how many different species of palms that I have in pots and noticing they represent many genera beginning with nearly all the letters of the alphabet I thought I would share some.  Not meant to be an exhaustive list but tried not to include the more common palms.  Most of these will eventually be planted out in zone 10a although some will stay in containers.

A is for Areca:

IMG_20210706_124457_hdr.jpg

B is for Beccariophoenix:

IMG_20210706_124613_hdr.jpg

C is for Calyptrocalix:

IMG_20210706_124852_hdr.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

D is for Dypsis:

IMG_20210706_130414_hdr.jpg

E is for Euterpe:

IMG_20210626_175239_hdr.thumb.jpg.4207aeff69fac4e7b6afab7995444d56.jpg

G is for Gaussia:

IMG_20210706_131543_hdr.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

H is for Howea:

IMG_20210706_131649_hdr.jpg

J is for Jubaea:

IMG_20210706_131847_hdr.jpg

K is for Kentiopsis:

IMG_20210706_132101_hdr.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

L is for Livistona:

IMG_20210706_132222_hdr.jpg

M is for Medemia:

IMG_20210706_132549_hdr.jpg

N is for Normanbya:

IMG_20210706_133418_hdr.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

P is for Pritchardia:

IMG_20210706_133509_hdr.jpg

R is for Ravenea:

IMG_20210706_133800_hdr.jpg

S is for Syagrus (sancona):

IMG_20210706_133836_hdr.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

T is for Trithrinax:

IMG_20210706_134000_hdr.jpg

V is for Veitchia:

IMG_20210706_134703_hdr.jpg

W is for Wodyetia:

IMG_20210706_134728_hdr.jpg

Z is for Zombia:

IMG_20210706_134752_hdr.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

Very nice, Jon!  Almost every letter of the alphabet covered.   I would like to take time here to thank your sponsor, “Popeyes” for selling you palm pots so you can continue your addiction!  :D

• Upvote 3

Not to worry.  Future palm/seed acquisition will have nothing to do with completing the alphabet!  Turns out that only genera not represented begin with I and O.

Jon Sunder

On 7/8/2021 at 7:32 PM, Fusca said:

Not to worry.  Future palm/seed acquisition will have nothing to do with completing the alphabet!  Turns out that only genera not represented begin with I and O.

So to complete the alphabet what are your plans for I and O enquiring minds would like to know :interesting:

T J 

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So to complete the alphabet what are your plans for I and O enquiring minds would like to know :interesting:

T J 

Ha ha!  I guess if I were to choose and cold hardiness in Palmpedia is believable, I'd go with Orania sylvicola for "O" and Itaya amicorum for "I".  I almost included a photo of my "Franken Brahea" hybrid from @DoomsDaveseeds but as far as I know it hasn't been made an official name yet.  I think it is just trademarked. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Ha ha!  I guess if I were to choose and cold hardiness in Palmpedia is believable, I'd go with Orania sylvicola for "O" and Itaya amicorum for "I".  I almost included a photo of my "Franken Brahea" hybrid from @DoomsDaveseeds but as far as I know it hasn't been made an official name yet.  I think it is just trademarked. :lol:

Keep it happy and make it grow and we’ll fight about names later!

Pictures!

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

F is for Franken Brahea:

Strap leaves and base getting thick after almost 4 years since germination.  Should be going palmate soon and hoping it looks like the mama palm.  Thanks Dave!

IMG_20210718_101106.jpg

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

Brother @Fusca, my favorite part about this thread is they're all seedlings. 

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Brother @Fusca, my favorite part about this thread is they're all seedlings. 

Yeah, 12 of these were grown from seed, 4 from my first Floribunda order, 3   I picked up in a May trip to SoCal, 1 from Charlene ( @NatureGirl) and one from Daniel ( @Meangreen94z).  Most of the seeds came courtesy of Jimmy  ( @jimmyt).  The Kentiopsis, Medemia and Dypsis are ready to plant in the ground so won't be in pots much longer.  :D

• Like 1

Jon Sunder