IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

All about Agaves

teddytn

3 hours ago, teddytn said:

The picture in the bed of the truck really shows its size! Was that you that dug it up and transplanted it?! 

Not mine. Someone in Oregon posted it .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Variegated and blue parryi are quite popular in Arizona and both are easily obtained here. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20231124_140735467.jpg

IMG_20231124_171154925.jpg

Sorry Scott but I believe those to be agave potatorum kisho kan and regular blue form. They are much smaller agaves. The parayii will grow to almost 3 feet across 

• Like 2

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 4:14 PM, Paradise Found said:

Agave Stricta. IMG-0903.thumb.JPG.c607796f6111b65d9a9667c434ac7632.JPG

Agave stricta in bloom.  I don't recall getting bulbils on this species when I have had them bloom in the past.  Anyone know whether I should expect them?

20231203-BH3I2808.jpg

20231203-BH3I2809.jpg

20231203-BH3I2810.jpg

• Like 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 11/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, tinman10101 said:

Sorry Scott but I believe those to be agave potatorum kisho kan and regular blue form. They are much smaller agaves. The parayii will grow to almost 3 feet across 

Yep. Agave potatorum. Just got a good side by side pic to compare the 2 species currently being sold at the local orange box. Pretty similar looking as youngsters,and often mislabeled, but when compared next to each other,the difference is obvious. Good catch! :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20231206_115149604_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231206_115231325_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

21 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Yep. Agave potatorum. Just got a good side by side pic to compare the 2 species currently being sold at the local orange box. Pretty similar looking as youngsters,and often mislabeled, but when compared next to each other,the difference is obvious. Good catch! :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20231206_115149604_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231206_115231325_HDR.jpg

yes and it doesnt help that they use the same pic in the label for two different species ... 

in any case, i do commend the big box stores for spreading more drought tolerant species to the masses.  there are some gems in there too now that were once highly sought after but now more common.  im thinking of agave lion's mane and black and blue.  i love the fact that plants are being made available to the masses at an affordable price.  maybe its my age but i am well over the "i have one and you dont" stage and believe plants should be shared and viewed with friends regardless of rarity.  :)  

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

On 12/3/2023 at 4:58 PM, Tracy said:

Agave stricta in bloom.  I don't recall getting bulbils on this species when I have had them bloom in the past.  Anyone know whether I should expect them?

20231203-BH3I2808.jpg

20231203-BH3I2809.jpg

20231203-BH3I2810.jpg

hi tracy.  i believe the bulbis phenomenon behavior are restricted to only some species of agaves and not all.  ive only seen this prevalent in some agaves but not all but then again i am not a scientist and basing off of my only amateur experience. 

the good thing is your climate makes it ideal for the seeds to germinate still within the pods and send out adventitious roots.  i believe you have onshore flow which gives humidity in the air and of course, not the harsh sun that i do have.  in any case,  i wouldnt be surprised that is why i never have bulbis form on my agave flowers but then again, agave flowers very seldom and only in its terminal end.  

• Like 3

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 4 weeks later...

December 30th = dead of " winter ' here  ..Unless you're Agave desmettiana,  several of whom, in the hood at least,  are about half way on forming their " Spring " flowers.

Also noticed some nearby Vachellia farnesiana  w/ flower buds just about ready to pop,  and some of the Desert Bluebells out front getting close to budding already too.. 

All clear signs that " Spring " in the desert,  cometh' soon. :greenthumb:

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.81f42bd6da4e293e5243d5e137bf259d.JPG

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.bda0ce63217117aeb3d1d9907ab50824.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Is it spring yet?! I’m so ready to plant! 😭🤣IMG_9074.thumb.jpeg.f121a6c9f41e48d78649345f533529af.jpegGot some repeats to try, and some new ones.
Front row from left. Ovatifolia, little neomexicana, ovatifolia frosty blue, utahensis eborispina, utahensis utahensis.

Middle row from left. Pseudoferox Logan Calhoun, parryi giant grantkids, montana, toumeyana bella. 

Back row from left. Protoamericana grey gator, montana

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Is it spring yet?! I’m so ready to plant! 😭🤣IMG_9074.thumb.jpeg.f121a6c9f41e48d78649345f533529af.jpegGot some repeats to try, and some new ones.
Front row from left. Ovatifolia, little neomexicana, ovatifolia frosty blue, utahensis eborispina, utahensis utahensis.

Middle row from left. Pseudoferox Logan Calhoun, parryi giant grantkids, montana, toumeyana bella. 

Back row from left. Protoamericana grey gator, montana

That ‘grey gator’ is already huge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

That ‘grey gator’ is already huge.

That’s the biggest agave I’ve ever seen plant delights ship. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great pictures in this thread. I hope someone can help me idea this small agave. The general shape is americana like but it has distinct red tips and hooks. A bit like a young montana but with flatter non recurved leaves. 

IMG_3075.jpeg

• Like 1

After planting it under a chamaerops last year it slowly started to grow. It was unprotected this very wet winter and is already opening a new leaf. Perhaps it’s nothing special but it surely can take daily rains for months without a problem.

IMG_5688.jpeg

• Like 1

Perhaps chrysantha grown in low light conditions is another possibility?

IMG_5702.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, teddytn said:

New agave bed

Nice work

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a spring update, I've had 4 bloomers in the past couple of months!  A variegated Desmettiana in the front yard sent up a big shoot, but I chopped it up and trashed it last week.  In the front yard a Celsii Multicolor is blooming.  In the back agave bed a Mangave "Kaleidoscope" has a 6 foot shoot, and might be killing off all the babies too.  Fortunately I have several other clusters of this one, as it's a favorite of mine.  In the front yard this beast of an Angustifolia is sending up a stalk.  I'm not going to have fun cutting this spiky thing up!  The area of damaged leaves was the Christmas 2022 freeze, with 3 days in a row below 30F and frost in this area of the yard.  It *almost* bloomed last spring, but it had a bit of a crown infection and then went back to growing leaves.

20240412_173944agaveAngustifoliablooming.thumb.jpg.02a1fff4dfc79624755b415298a91215.jpg

• Like 2