IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of Austin, Texas

DreaminAboutPalms

1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

January 2021....these were probably best pure Robusta’s in Austin 

FE6055B3-55EB-406B-8904-A4292DEDE3A3.jpeg

Yeah, it will be nice when we get somewhat back to that point. I’m tired of looking at dead or half dead palms. I saw two Washingtonia Filifera outside Beecave on 12, with the largest trunks I’ve probably seen in the area. Both dead, yet Filibusta in the area recovering. I know Filibusta survival is hit or miss too, but  it seems the Robusta genetics combine wet tolerance to the Filiferas dry cold tolerance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yeah, it will be nice when we get somewhat back to that point. I’m tired of looking at dead or half dead palms. I saw two Washingtonia Filifera outside Beecave on 12, with the largest trunks I’ve probably seen in the area. Both dead, yet Filibusta in the area recovering. I know Filibusta survival is hit or miss too, but  it seems the Robusta genetics combine wet tolerance to the Filiferas dry cold tolerance.

Filiferas have been very hit or miss some have full crowns (check out the palm condo on steck avenue), and some are dead. I think this winter storm was probably a little bit wet for their liking. From what I've seen, the majority of the dead filiferas are in spots that receive tons of runoff water while the alive ones are planted on a slight mound. 

I've been very surprised at number of robusta leaning hybrids that have come back, I think growing offspring from those survivors is the best method going forward 

• 3 weeks later...

More Robusta hybrids just starting to push growth at the boat restaurant off mopac and braker. Amazing how long these have taken 

D0861458-0724-4425-ABC9-17A47DD72F6F.jpeg

06AB5DBF-5D84-48B7-92F1-B9C6A7A64F57.jpeg

3 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

More Robusta hybrids just starting to push growth at the boat restaurant off mopac and braker. Amazing how long these have taken 

D0861458-0724-4425-ABC9-17A47DD72F6F.jpeg

06AB5DBF-5D84-48B7-92F1-B9C6A7A64F57.jpeg

Great news, thanks for posting! I've been wondering about these, but couldn't get a good look from the highway.

With all the Filibusta hybrids finally recovering, makes me wonder if I should have not cut my 13 footer down :(

5 hours ago, joetx said:

Great news, thanks for posting! I've been wondering about these, but couldn't get a good look from the highway.

With all the Filibusta hybrids finally recovering, makes me wonder if I should have not cut my 13 footer down :(

Should have kept it but just trunk cut it to see if there’s any live tissue 

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving airport as you are getting off of 71 and onto the 183 north there are about a hundred what appear to be Sabal minor planted along the median. Nice to see those more in public plantings 

Kramer lane Washingtonians hybrid looking good. Has pushed out all the deformed fronds now onto the normal mature ones 

thumbnail_image1-3.jpg

On 8/4/2021 at 6:14 AM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

January 2021....these were probably best pure Robusta’s in Austin 

FE6055B3-55EB-406B-8904-A4292DEDE3A3.jpeg

Awesome photo 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

No pic, yet...  but Red Roof Inn off of 290 in Manor, about 12-15 minutes east of 183/35 just put in a dozen or so Washingtonia hybrids that appear to be 5-7 feet tall. Manor gets a couple degrees cooler than Austin at night, so these might burn some years, however this is the first public planting of palms in the tiny city of Manor other than the big Sabal minors at Chevron. Hopefully other places in city will follow

This pic is from a few weeks ago, but I drove past this same Washingtonia hybrid this morning and it is flowering! Was not expecting that this year 

thumbnail_image1.jpg

• Like 1

Outside of BMC software headquarters by Braker/183. Before freeze they had even more palms, two healthy livistonias, bunch of butias, and mediterranean fan palms with 7 feet of trunk. Sadly all the butias, med fan palms and livistonias died this year. But CIDP look great 

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image1-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Beautiful Washingtonias and sabals down by water near Mozart’s coffee roasters and Hula huts. Tons of volunteers on property too, most not even under the mature specimens but just scattered around. Lots of tall surviving Washingtonias around austin I hadn’t seen. I was SHOCKED when I drove past Tarrytown Terrace apartments on Enfield Avenue, They have 4 super tall extremely thin trunked  Washingtonias, and i believe i saw 3 of them recovering with the two tall ones that basically look pure robusta survived

E15C59D8-475B-4C4F-AA0F-8DC1172C91AA.jpeg

E3E57580-7A08-4E97-8CBD-9FBDD8D2ED61.jpeg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

FEB 2021 PIC - Just before freeze. I was driving by and didn't get to look for too long but tallest two survived, and I think one more may have survived and is barely pushing green but was too shocked at the taller one 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 5.46.30 PM.png

More pre freeze pics courtesy of google maps street view...... taken about a week before freeze 

44D65D04-8BF1-4CBC-A465-28E06B9D2A71.png

F8D4F476-5A56-401B-B876-61D7FE037A09.png

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

FEB 2021 PIC - Just before freeze. I was driving by and didn't get to look for too long but tallest two survived, and I think one more may have survived and is barely pushing green but was too shocked at the taller one 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 5.46.30 PM.png

Did the two palms in the back survive? That would be impressive 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

10 hours ago, Xenon said:

Did the two palms in the back survive? That would be impressive 

One of them did 

• 2 weeks later...

Washingtonia filifera growth 2007-2019. Important to remember we got no rain down here for a few years, and it shot up once we did start getting more 

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.36.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.37.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.37.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.35.46 PM.png

I noticed on the last one with windmills, that there were queens and dates that died in 2010 or 2011. They were left with windmills.

But the neighbors Robustas lived. This was south of Downtown Austin, where most every Robusta north and west died.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 9/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Kramer lane Washingtonians hybrid looking good. Has pushed out all the deformed fronds now onto the normal mature ones 

thumbnail_image1-3.jpg

Washies keep growing all winter in Texas or slow down a lot when the weather changes? Just curious if some of the palms that took a bit longer to get going had a shot at full recovery. Hopefully they don’t get hit 2 winters in a row, fingers crossed 

11 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Washies keep growing all winter in Texas or slow down a lot when the weather changes? Just curious if some of the palms that took a bit longer to get going had a shot at full recovery. Hopefully they don’t get hit 2 winters in a row, fingers crossed 

Texas is a big state, but yes, in the Austin area they grow through the winter if it’s mild. And out near the coast they grow through the winter obviously.

• Like 2

Go to Mayfield park. A lot of defoliation, but everything made it through the freeze. Texas sabal is better here than filifera.

PXL_20210221_004547896.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 4

Here is one of the rare robustas that made it through the Feb 2021 freeze. I should collect seeds from it. It may have some filifera giving it better cold hardiness.

PXL_20210825_140254001.thumb.jpg.a0b450fd0cce69f486d6fb6c65ebfa44.jpg

PXL_20210825_140248417.thumb.jpg.e43088702091bb7fd406cb86be02854b.jpg

Edited by Dimovi
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dimovi said:

Here is one of the rare robustas that made it through the Feb 2021 freeze. I should collect seeds from it. It may have some filifera giving it better cold hardiness.

PXL_20210825_140254001.thumb.jpg.a0b450fd0cce69f486d6fb6c65ebfa44.jpg

PXL_20210825_140248417.thumb.jpg.e43088702091bb7fd406cb86be02854b.jpg

Where is this one?

INCREIBLE ! :yay:

I'm calling that one The Miracle Palm  

Edited by Arecaceae78743
  • Like 1