IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Identification of this palm

Tim1111

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I hope I'm doing this correctly.  I live in Albuquerque, NM and I've lived here going on 5 years. I'm happy because we are fortunate enough to grow a few types of palms here! I've encountered several Trachycarpus (Windmill Palms) and needle palms, even a couple Mexican fan palms.

However, just yesterday, I discovered not to far from my home, these gems, but I'm not yet as knowledgeable as many of you are and I would like to know what type of palm this is please. It has to be a type of cold hardy palm because we had a rough winter (Zone 7b) where last winter we recorded low temps down to 12f/-11c three times and even 2 days where our high temperature barely made it above freezing!

Fortunately, unlike the eastern US I think the lack of moisture (humidity) is a beneficial factor, so maybe it is less damaging then if the same temperature was experienced in the east?

IMG_20210629_163735065.jpg

Edited by Tim1111
  • Like 3

Canary palm((Phoenix canariensis)

Welcome to palm talk!  I am in Rio Rancho and grow and follow some local palms.  That being said, those palms are a nice find! Hardiness will not be the issue, the short growing season here locally may cause decline.  That species survived(nearly 100%) in El Paso in 2011-a 0f event.  I know of some in Alamogordo that survived colder than -10f . 

I believe whole heartedly our success in this region is due to the high solar insolation(highest in the nation for winter months).

may I ask where these palms are?

There is a palm friendlier zone in ABQ and that lies mostly west of I-25 to halfway up the West Mesa.   Two little facts seldom mentioned about Albuquerque:

1-second highest urban heat island in the nation(Las Vegas, ABQ, Denver)

2- Second most climate zones within city limits in US. (LA #1)

again, welcome!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I took a second look at the palm on the right looks to be a med palm.  Phoenix canariensis on the left.

• Upvote 1

Hi jwitt,

Thank you, and it's nice to get a reply from someone local too, I didn't expect that.  These are located on Chelwood Park Blvd NE zip 87112. On the north side of Candelaria! It's a corner home, there's a cross street, which I failed to get the name because I got so excited as I was driving south on Chelwood (home) I saw them in my mirror, did a 3 point turn to get a closer look! 

Then, when I went to get a better view of them, the home next door is proudly displaying (pretty sure) a Windmill Palm! I was eladed with joy! Yes, I do get extremely excited over palms!

I would say in my Google photos app I have about 20 or so palm locations documented, all from Albuquerque.  I was surprised to see these here because I live just west of Tramway, and I understand what you're saying about the sun and the  wide amount microclimates in our area, which is something that fascinates me because I'm a weather geek. Also, I know that in my area being slightly more higher in elevation, it is slightly cooler, but on the flip side, we get more precipation too. I'm hoping we finally get a decent monsoon season! I know when I first moved here I use to live off of Comanche, near the KOAT studios, and if I was lucky enough to experience monsoon activity, when I wasn't at work, I would be in my vehicle trying to get into one, because where I use to live, they rarely made it that far away from the Sandia Mtns. 

Thank you too for sharing that information about the "palm friendlier zone" I never heard of it. I've been up through Rio Rancho just a couple of times, beautiful area, it's ironic because the last time I was there, I can't remember what road I was on but I saw part of a frond towering over a sound wall, which was within a development, and I couldn't figure out the exact location of what home had it, and I felt like an idiot driving back and forth, thinking the people outside must think I'm nuts. 

Anyhow, I'm writing a book, I have to get ready for work, it's raining again over here, I'm so glad to see that. Have a great day!

IMG_20210629_163751706.jpg

IMG_20210629_163751706.jpg

Edited by Tim1111
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Those palms are in nearly the mildest part of ABQ zone wise. The palm killing weather here are our Arctic events. Our true Arctic events have in my lifetime always come from the east, over and thru the Sandias(east wind). The impact is lessened as one moves west., locally then you hit what is known as the snow hole. Continuing west up the West Mesa,  a cold zone is encountered around double eagle.  This is where the cold comes from that settles into the Rio Grande Valley creating a zone 1-1.5 zones colder than you, but long term, friendlier to some types of palms. Except maybe PHX C., which would benefit from your higher zone , longer growing season.  Larger windmills were wiped out east of about Louisiana in 2011.

There is a local misconception of the valley cold air coming from and down the mountains. It comes from the upper West Mesa through the arroyos.  If you know your arroyos( Montoya,  Calabacitas),  they line up with the valley cold spots.  Double eagle and Corrales nearly track each other on calm nights(balloon weather) but 12 hours later,Corrales becomes near the warmest or nearly so in the metro. 

Most everything west of the river did not exist pre 1970(really 1980) so this part of the metro does not have much "palm"  history. 

Anyways that's my take. I atarted in Corrales in 1976, and been around since.  We do not get a comparable east wind during the Arctic events(60mph vs 10 mph)

That's a good looking trachy. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, I've been told the same thing about the cold air in the valley comes from the mountains, but I questioned that.  After our brush with that polar vortex last Feb, I definitely noticed that the arctic air and the direction in which it came. 

I wish they were more detailed with climate data/recording of temps, within the city instead of only using Sunport.  Even with the official climate zones, instead of just listing Albuquerque as 7a/7b. I think they do the same for Rio Rancho.

Anyway, if you're ever driving up Candelaria, heading east, turn left on Utah St. and the second home on the left, your eyes will see this (I think it's a Chamaerops humilis) European Fan Palm? But, again, I'm still learning the various types, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  After the vortex cleared out, I was doing my "checking" of the places I know where palms are located, and I was thinking I was going to see what they experienced in Texas but to my relief, it has survived better than I thought, after that official low of 7f.

The same home has 2 of the largest trachy I've seen around here. I would estimate they stand about 25'/8m tall!

IMG_20210109_135920440.jpg

Edited by Tim1111

I spent a winter west of ABQ (Grants) a few years back. What impressed me most was that even at 0ºF overnight, we always broke 32º in the afternoon. The following year was tough and the filiferas in ABQ defoliated but all came back.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 5:07 PM, SeanK said:

I spent a winter west of ABQ (Grants) a few years back. What impressed me most was that even at 0ºF overnight, we always broke 32º in the afternoon. The following year was tough and the filiferas in ABQ defoliated but all came back.

I feel that because the temps, except on very rare occasions, do manage to rebound after a freeze is why the few species of palms we can grow, survive, even when the lows are pushing the envelope, on our most cold hearty specimens.

• Like 1