IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Climate Navarre beach

Tropicdoc

Anybody on here know what kind of lows Navarre beach gets? Is there any benefit to all of the water?

Probably something between what you see in Pensacola and what you see in Destin.  Poke around on this map for the time frame you prefer and check the average and record lows on each of the nodes close by: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1QCS-fTHGPmghnQJ7Q1phu7gSXSD6Rtxq&ll=30.259765833774892%2C-86.97146200703936&z=10

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

based on Penacola, Navarre beach is 9b ish. All I saw there were sabals, phoenix, and butia. Wonder about things like arenga, beccariophoenix, queens. Bizmarkia. Too sandy? Or I didnt look hard enough.

6 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

based on Penacola, Navarre beach is 9b ish. All I saw there were sabals, phoenix, and butia. Wonder about things like arenga, beccariophoenix, queens. Bizmarkia. Too sandy? Or I didnt look hard enough.

The 30-year averages for Pensacola is 24F and Destin has averaged 25F with 24 years of data available.  The issue I would see with Beccariophoenix is the temperatures between 19-21F in 2014 and 2015.  There are specimens of the others mentioned that have survived temperatures in this range, so they aren't out of the question.  @JLM, @Matthew92 and @Estlander could probably point you in the right direction as far as seeing Queen palms and others of interest in the region.  My work doesn't usually take me to the Panhandle, so my knowledge of palms in that area is limited.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

If you are looking at the barrier island then Queens will definitely work. There are two mature Queens on Pensacola Beach that have been there for a while, although they dont fruit because they get hurricane cuts every year. The city of Navarre itself might be able to support a Queen, but once you reach Holley it will be on extremely barrowed time. The Gulf Breeze area has some Queens, Gulf Breeze is in between Downtown Pensacola and Pensacola Beach.  Pensacola's Scenic Hwy seems to have some sort of microclimate, there are some protected roebeleniis there. Otherwise, i could see the whole barrier island from Fort Pickens to East Pass being near or just into 9b. Navarre itself is probably a lower end 9a. Navarre Beach is nothing but sand as its on the barrier island.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Yeah was in Navarre beach fantasizing about buying a beach house and wondered what I could grow