rfielding

Hello, 

As you may have gathered from some of my previous posts, I have a research interest in growing breadfruit outside of its prescribed hardiness zones. I'd like to invite anyone currently growing breadfruit in Florida to fill out a brief survey. This is 100% for academic purposes only and the consent form, which you'll have to scroll through before getting into the survey, explains some of the goals and confidentiality arrangements for the survey itself, as well as for any research publications that might result. 

You can access the survey here: https://snap.coastal.edu/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=162367429984

Please share the link far and wide. I'm interested in getting as much good feedback as possible. Feel free to contact me with any questions. 

Sincerely,
Russell Fielding
Coastal Carolina University
rfielding@coastal.edu 

• Like 1

rfielding

Note: I plan to take the survey down at the end of this week so I can start analyzing the data.  It's gotten lots of responses so far but if you haven't yet had a chance to respond (and you want to) please try to do so by August 13. 

Many thanks,
Russell 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Michael Dourney
      By Michael Dourney
      Hi everyone,
      Recent reader, new time caller. I live in Tampa, FL and have a Canary Island Date Palm that was recently diagnosed with palmetto weevils. Our local arborist was not able to come out quickly, but successfully and accurately diagnosed it with images and a phone call. Despite everyone that I spoke with saying that the tree should be pulled, I read some guidance on this form as well as from a You Tube video suggesting a few courses of action, including:
      Fertilome Tree & Shrub Drench Gallon and
      7.9% Bifenthrin Concentrate for Insect Control, which as the gentleman in the video (who was dealing with severe issues in South America suggested), I applied by drilling into some of the lower fronds with a 1.5" auger bit in order to spray the Bifenthrin into the bud. I also dumped some fire ant powder into the top of the bud, again something else that I read on a forum. I was desperate and was trying whatever I could. I only removed fronds that were drooping and brown with weevil tunnels...trying to give the tree a chance by leaving the greener fronds (mainly on one side as you will see). And I have remained patient.
      That was all back in March, it is now Mid May. I've done some repeat application between then and now of the Bifrenthrin. The fronds that were not infected have held up all this time (see pictures). And most recently, there are some frizzy new frond spikes that have started to emerge (again, see photos). My question to this illustrious group is, (a) is this actual new growth, (b) is there any chance this palm will survive and recover to some sort of decent life, and (c) at this point, what should I do to help the palm?
      Thanks in advance for the replies. This is a whole new ordeal for me...not necessarily the greenest thumb, but I've put in a lot of effort. If this guy survives, I'm popping some serious champagne. Be well!

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This topic is started to document the cold damage, or hopefully lack thereof, due to the cold spell. 
      Initially, it looks like most of the damage done locally was due to frost.  As you get outside of town, the damage can get pretty severe on the "high-9b/low-10a" palms that have become more common due to the advent of Lethal Bronzing.  I'll begin with this photo I captured west of the airport on Medulla Rd.  The damage didn't even wait for the warmup to manifest.  For my own garden, I'm going to wait until it warms up to do my report.  There may be palms that look undamaged now that will show damage after the next three days go over 80F.   There may also be palms that appear to have light damage that have more extensive damage than shows at first.
      @GoatLockerGuns was kind enough to compile his results from the Texas 2021 freeze in a spreadsheet that was easy to import into the Cold Hardiness Master Data.  If you'd like to do this as well, I can assist if necessary.

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Link to the event page: https://www.flbgfoundation.org/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=479557&item_id=1487058
      Palm vendors will include Calusa Palms Nursery: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/
      A full list of vendors is available at the event page.

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      For those who haven't been to this garden for either of tours or for a personal showing, you're missing out.  Luckily, not for long.  The new botanical garden is slated to open in Fall 2022.
      For those familiar with the thread in the Travel Logs regarding Dr. John Rossi's Garden tour for the joint CFPACS + FCPCS meeting, you know how wonderful this garden was the first time.  Now, the private garden is taking the next step and will become a botanical garden and nature preserve.
      CFPACS and FCPCS had their Joint Holiday Meeting this weekend and were treated to a preview of coming attractions.  Currently, the garden is home to over 300 species of palms and over 50 species of cycads.  The garden also includes an area of "untouched" Florida, with tons of Sabal minor, Sabal palmetto and Serenoa repens under deciduous hardwoods.
      You can see the new website here: https://www.stjohnsbotanicalgarden.org/
      Here are a few photos from the meeting/preview:
      Getting the site ready:

The original entrance:

The new entrance:

Welcome sign:

New plant tags:

A Bizzie and Beccariophoenix near one of the old Agave gardens:

Where we parked three years ago is now tons of understory plants:

Staging area for the auction plants:

Getting the membership booth set up:

The work truck:

• wilmske
      By wilmske
      Hi, 
      I thought some people here might be interested in some of the research that is done on palms , in my lab we are working with Cocos nucifera and are trying to develop different methods for ex-situ conservation such as in vitro culture, cryopreservation.  And recently we developed a protocol which allows the micropropagation on the coconut palm. This allows us to safely store these palms in in vitro genebanks but also use the material for cryopreservation or to replant coconuts on the field. On the pictures you can see the multiple shoots which are all clones.

What is your opinion on using these techniques for safeguarding palms?
      You can read our whole research on: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97718-1 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-97718-1