IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roebellenii with brown fronds

BeyondTheGarden

It seems like I see this on a lot of Roebellenii grown in pots, but not often on the ones grown in the ground.  

Is this likely sunburn from a sudden increase in sun exposure, or a symptom of nutrient deficiency?  I moved this plant outside this spring, it was in a west facing window with no direct sun, just grow lights prior to that.  Now it gets a few hours of direct sun.  Also it is in conventional miracle gro potting soil.  

Should I remove the brown fronds?

Thanks.  

20210621_095552.jpg

20210621_095539.jpg

I've moved them up in container sizes twice in the last year since I bought them, adding new potting soil each time.  

It's sunburn, new growth will be normal.  Palms need to be acclimated gradually to direct sun, outdoor sun is MUCH stronger than indoor the house.

P.S,., MG soils are awful..., too peaty, indoors, they stay wet, outside they become very hydrophobic in direct sunlight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I've moved them up in container sizes twice in the last year since I bought them, adding new potting soil each time.  

ok it is just sunburn then. dont worry it will look good again in a few months. make sure to give it plenty of water when outside in the heat.

26 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

P.S,., MG soils are awful..., too peaty, indoors, they stay wet, outside they become very hydrophobic in direct sunlight.

X2 on this. 2nd worst soil I've ever used. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What do you recommend for potting soil?

Thank you all for the answers.  

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

What do you recommend for potting soil?

Thank you all for the answers.  

Fox Farm Ocean Forest with some Turface and bark mixed in has given me the best results. Purely anecdotal, I am not an expert. I've tried amending cheap stuff from big box stores too, and always had issues. 

I'm assuming sun-scorched fronds cannot recover.  Should I cut them off? 

4 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I'm assuming sun-scorched fronds cannot recover.  Should I cut them off? 

If they are completely brown, inc. the leafstalk, then go ahead and remove. If there is any green, let them completely brown before removing. Palms will recycle nutrients from older fronds ( even damaged ones ) Removing anything still green can deprive the plant of potential nutrients for new growth.  Important w/ plants in the ground, more important for potted specimens.

Pygmys grow quite fast so new fronds should replace the old and damaged ones pretty quickly, esp. w/ the heat expected up there this weekend/ next week.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

Southern Ontario palms and tropicals has videos about acclimating indoors to outdoors.  That looks like sunburn. As long as the whole palm doesn’t dry it will be ok 

• Upvote 1